• Announcements

• Willow

Welcome to the forum!   09/17/2017

Please come in from the rain and sit by the fire! We're happy you found us and hope you will feel at home here.  
Roxy

Pressure Of Having To Do Something Everyday/Week Like School/Work = Panic Attacks?

Roxy

I really struggled with this at school, the fact you have to be up EARLY everyday and the same every-week, I don't know why but it really caused me great anxiety and panic.. is this normal or part of an Aspie profile? 

It's like if I'm forced to go work everyday 5 days a week I think it would kill me because I would feel trapped, no freedom, anxiety and panic set in etc..

• Like 1

Peridot

Perfectly normal reaction. Not AS related, I'd say. A lot of NTs also react that way.

Don't be a slave. :mellow:

• Like 1

Eliza

I'm like this too. I have to pump myself up even for something as simple as laundry day. I don't know if it's an aspie thing, but I do believe we get overwhelmed a lot easier than NTs, and I've read several articles saying our bodies produce too much Cortisol.

• Like 2

Sofi

I didn't find this difficult when I was at school, maybe because I was too young to appreciate that it's depressing and I really liked my routine of going to school every day. It probably helped that I enjoyed school too. 
I don't go to work as an adult but I do have a schedule of activities I'm meant to get up to go to every day and I find it really depressing and difficult and lately, I haven't been going as much due to it.  I would never cope with the pressure of getting up to work 5 days a week, plus physically I wouldn't cope either because I need a lot of rest and I don't sleep well. 
I this it's normal but I think NT's can cope with it even though they may complain about it. Whereas, Autistic people are much less likely to cope and just hit burnout really quickly and can't do it anymore, possibly from higher cortisol and higher arousal levels in the brain.

• Like 2

Roxy
11 hours ago, Peridot said:

Perfectly normal reaction. Not AS related, I'd say. A lot of NTs also react that way.

Don't be a slave. :mellow:

I agree but I think NT's probably deal with it better, where as I seem to completely shut down and stop going (like I did at school) because I found it too tiring and pressuring :( 

Where as I could manage 2 or 3 days of school (or work) no problem, but anything more I get burnt out mentally pretty quickly and then just shut down.. (which makes everything worse for me, as then don't want to go back, feel I've let people down, get depressed etc) it makes me sound really lazy but I'm not, I know I have good intentions ! 

Edited by Roxy
  • Like 4

Nesf

I thinik it's true that we can become overwhelmed more easily than most people, though it's not exclusively ASD thing.

It becomes easier once it is incorperated into the daily routine.

• Like 3

HalfFull

For me, going to the place in itself is fine, but the thing that causes anxiety is fear of not taking what you need to take due to misplacing it, very easily done for me, or not doing what you need to do beforehand, eg, homework. This can often end up really time consuming and make me panic when the event looms ever closer.

• Like 1

Heather

I am one who actually likes the routine of getting up at the same time each morning. I think because for a long time I had weird work shifts with fast food so I sometimes had late shifts and other times I had morning shifts, and it was difficult for me. I really did not like evening work shifts because I felt like I had work hanging over my head the whole day and couldn't do anything productive. I prefer morning work shifts as I can get work done and then come home, eat dinner and relax.  Though it is difficult now that I am working full time to find time to get things done.  Lucky my boyfriend can be helpful a lot of the time so it takes some of the pressure off me.  Sometimes it gets tiring but for the most part I like my routine.  I get up at 6 am and have coffee and toast (or some other breakfast but I usually have toast) and watch something on YouTube or Netflix or just browse the internet while I eat, and then my alarm goes off at 6:50 am (phone alarm) and I know it's time to get ready, get dressed and make sure my bag and lunch are in order. Sometimes it is difficult to know what to wear or I might have nothing prepared for lunch but so far so good.  I know what time I need to leave at.  And as a plus, my current job is so relaxed and I know what I am going to do most days so that is so nice.  The worst thing is my commute as I have to take public transit but I am mostly good with it.

I think why it might be difficult for some people on the spectrum is the change in routine, many on the spectrum might prefer to sleep in and stay up late, and also if the motivation is not there... if you do not like your job or school, then it would be more difficult to get up.

I am much much more happy to go to work now than previous jobs. Not to brag or anything but I am just content. Not that it doesn't feel difficult sometimes and sometimes I don't want to go to work but I then think of the money and how I actually don't mind my job and that I like it better than previous jobs and I get through it.

• Like 4

collectingrocks

Depends...

Some aspies like the idea of structure, routine and predictability

I certainly do

I like schedules and timetables and don't like it when things change suddenly. I also tend to function better in the morning

• Like 3

RiRi

@Roxy Yes, I can relate regarding the shutting down. My inability to cope with the stress and pressure has led me to where I am. I shut down to the point that I developed agoraphobia and I am very much dependent on others. It's definitely not a very good state to be in. I hope you can find ways to cope. 

Edited by RiRi

Miss Chief

To be honest this sounds more like an ADHD thing (so did one or two of your other threads) have you been tested for that @Roxy?