• Announcements

• Willow

Welcome to the forum!   09/17/2017

Please come in from the rain and sit by the fire! We're happy you found us and hope you will feel at home here.  
Sirius

Yes vs. Genesis

Yes vs. Genesis  

5 members have voted

1. 1. Which would you choose?

• Yes
    • Genesis

Sirius

Extraterrestrial invaders have decided to punish humanity by completely erasing one of these two classic prog bands from history. As an act of mercy, they've allowed you to decide which one will remain. Which will you choose and for what reason?

• Like 1

Gone home

Genesis were a much tighter unit, but I identified more with Yes.
At the time I felt Genesis were too posh and sterile ... apart from the odd tune I didn't enjoy what they produced, though it was technically of good quality.
Yes took me to a different realm ... they did some stuff which I found abrasive, but overall were vastly more captivating. I found it easier to 'let myself go' with Yes

Down at the end, round by the corner
Close to the edge, just by a river
Seasons will pass you by
I get up, I get down

Edited by Gone home
  • Like 1

Nesf

I choose Yes, mainly because of what happened in the 80s... Genesis completely sold out after Peter Gabriel left, Yes became more commercial and 'poppy' in nature too, but there were at least some attempts to reintroduce some proggier elements in The Ladder, which is more than what Genesis ever did. Genesis became a completely different band after Gabriel left. I would say that over the whole of their career Yes has produced more good albums and overall comes out on top.

• Like 1

Sirius

I also choose Yes. I love both bands equally during their classic eras, but it's what Yes have done in the years since that gives them the edge.

Whereas Genesis went into permanent decline after 1977 and had completely disowned the imagination and beauty of their early masterpieces by the mid-80s, Yes did a much better job of retaining their identity and have since produced a lot of material ranging from good to excellent, the orchestral album Magnification from 2001 being a particular favourite of mine.

Even at their most accessible, Yes were still pretty inventive and unique, while Genesis just got more boring and generic with each successive release. They had the ideal opportunity to fix that when Phil Collins left, but instead carried on chasing trends to quench their thirst for commercial success, resulting in an album even worse than what gone before and packed it in the moment it became clear that the mainstream American audience was no longer interested. They also can’t seem to stop downplaying the brilliance of their early material at every available opportunity, and have pretty much written the contributions of Steve Hackett (the only one who actually gives a shit about the legacy) out of their history over some 40-year-old grudge. Meanwhile, two separate versions of Yes continue to tour, performing fan favourite material to a high standard, both with new music in the works.

On the quantity of enjoyable music and the way they've handled their legacy, Yes is the clear winner.

• Like 2

DavidTheWitch

I am getting into Yes but I still prefer Genesis..

Especially since I saw this

Sirius
4 hours ago, DavidTheWitch said:

I am getting into Yes but I still prefer Genesis..

Especially since I saw this

Have you listened to any of the 70s material? This is the prog forum, after all...

• Like 1

DavidTheWitch

I am into the 70s however my focus is more around the 80s!

Nesf
11 hours ago, DavidTheWitch said:

I am into the 70s however my focus is more around the 80s!

Hmmm, 80's prog... the 80s aren't exactly renowned for their prog output, but you could try some of the neo-progressive bands such as Marillion, or Eloy, Rush (in particular Permanent waves), Asia Minor, Solaris - Marsbeli Kronikak, Bacamarte - Depois do Fim, King Crimson - Discipline, P.L.J band - Armagheddon, Celelalte Cuvinte's first self-titled album.

Edited by Nesf