• Announcements

• Willow

Welcome to the forum!   09/17/2017

Please come in from the rain and sit by the fire! We're happy you found us and hope you will feel at home here.  
Sign in to follow this  
fairytattgirl

Crossing the Road

fairytattgirl

Anyone have issues crossing the road unless there are traffic lights or there are little or no cars I am terrible and struggle even with a crossing if there are cars approaching as I fear they wont stop or hate the akwardness. Due to spatial issues. I also wont cross when there is plenty of room to go. I have been known to wait when old frail people cross with no fear. I feel like a crazy person sometimes and would love tips on dealing with this issue

• Like 2

Nesf

Yes, I do have this issue when I visit a large city, partly because I live in a very small town without much traffic where crossing the street isn't usually an issue. Many drivers where I live are not mindful/respectful of the rights of pedestrians. I deal with it by crossing at an intersection and waiting for the green man. Not always convenient, but at least I know that the traffic is going to stop for me to cross.

• Like 2

Heather

Yes, I also get this way when I have to cross a road without any lights and there is traffic.  Sometimes I will walk behind the car or cars because the cars behind the first one have to wait anyway, but I feel awkward doing that sometimes too.  

When I am feeling more confident, I will just stand and wait for a good time to cross, or just walk but I understand the difficulty of knowing if the person in the car sees me.  I prefer crossing in places with the lights and the walking signals.  

• Helpful 1

RiRi

I struggle with crossing the road too, always have, even when there are traffic lights. I was hit by a car once and one time I almost got ran over.

I'd rather use the traffic light to cross the road than without, although I still think traffic lights don't completely solve the issue because cars could make turns, turn right. Where I live people can make rights on a red right for them, but a green light for pedestrians. So the pedestrian always has to be on the lookout to see if a car might hit them.

I rarely cross when there are no traffic lights, but when I do, I look both ways (because I now know you're supposed to). Sometimes I don't know if it's a one-way street or two ways, so I look both ways anyway. When I'm about to cross, I quickly glance both ways again to make sure there's no car coming. I look both ways even when I'm already crossing.

When there's a crosswalk, sometimes cars stop to let me through, but I look down, I rather not pass in front of them. I feel very vulnerable when I do. 

• Like 2

Eliza

I live in a big city and have almost gotten hit by a car more than once, so if there's traffic I'll walk a little farther and wait for the light. One time a car turned left and I was in the crosswalk, The driver didn't see me so I slammed my hand on their trunk. That was too close for comfort. 

• Helpful 1