• Announcements

• Willow

Welcome to the forum!   09/17/2017

Please come in from the rain and sit by the fire! We're happy you found us and hope you will feel at home here.  
Laurie

Exercise for Aspergers

Laurie

What are some good exercises that people with aspergers excel in? It's really hard for me to get motivated to exercise. I started doing tae Kwon do but I'm not that good because I'm not really coordinated. I want something that I excel in and provide me a routine 

• Like 1

Miss Chief

I like swimming

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

Eliza

Anything aerobic. My problem is getting motivated enough to get up and move!

• Like 1

Nesf

I like walking to look for mushrooms, or cycling or swimming. I need to have some kind of goal or target to reach to motivate myself, or I can't get motivated.

• Like 2

HalfFull

I do Nordic Walking which with the right trainer could actually be a route towards better co-ordination.

• Like 1

Sanctuary

There are good suggestions above. Probably individual forms of exercise best suit Aspies although in some cases group activities and sport can work well. Running can be a good choice and it allows you to listen to music at the same time if you find that helpful. Cycling might be an option. Weight-training / lifting might be good if the aim is to build up strength. Walking can be good exercise, especially if other forms of exercise seem daunting.

• Like 1

Gone home

I've enjoyed cycling and running in the past. Indoors ... largely I just make up my own short exercises or copy ideas of the internet. I like doing things that improve balance

• Like 2

Miss Chief
On 05/11/2017 at 4:03 PM, Sanctuary said:

There are good suggestions above. Probably individual forms of exercise best suit Aspies although in some cases group activities and sport can work well. Running can be a good choice and it allows you to listen to music at the same time if you find that helpful. Cycling might be an option. Weight-training / lifting might be good if the aim is to build up strength. Walking can be good exercise, especially if other forms of exercise seem daunting.

I have a waterproof MP3 player for swimming ;) 

I thought swimming was good because it's kind of solo as in it isn't a team thing even if others are around they don't bother you and co-ordination is easier in water... you can't fall over etc ;)