• Announcements

• Willow

Welcome to the forum!   09/17/2017

Please come in from the rain and sit by the fire! We're happy you found us and hope you will feel at home here.  
Sign in to follow this  
Fighter101

How do you know?

Fighter101

This maybe a blunt question but how do you know if you have aspergers from the way you think?

Nesf

Because:

1. I was diagnosed.

2. Because I can relate to the experiences of other people who have it.

3. I know that I'm different to most other people, and other possible conditions or explanations don't explain it/cover it adequately.

Edited by Nesf
  • Like 1
  • Helpful 2

Gone home
10 hours ago, Fighter101 said:

This maybe a blunt question but how do you know if you have aspergers from the way you think?

Apsergers is from birth and therein is the acid test in diagnosing ASC - rather than acquired brain injury or anxiety / depression etc
Myself - I did not know how to play with toys like other kids. Many toys seemed pointless and things like cars would just be lined up. I was dogmatic and could only understand things in a practical pragmatic sense ... so religion did not make sense - I did not understand idioms at all - or anything cryptic - I would get overwhelmed in public places - narrow range of interest - was quite a concrete thinker - I had a strong sense of being trapped in a body - I did not fit in socially - .... etc. ... there are so many fluid aspects that change as we move on through life

There are online tests 

• Like 2

Eliza

Pretty much everything listed above. I'd add poor executive functioning skills, constantly misinterpreting what people are saying, constantly misunderstood by what I say, easily stressed, a need to break assignments by details- the big picture is way too overwhelming, processing information can take days, weeks, or months, and chit-chat is physically painful. There's more, but these are my daily frustrations.

• Like 2

Sanctuary

For a very long time I'd been aware that I was "different". I had limited social skills and an almost entirely solitary lifestyle. I had very unusual, intense interests. I had always had a very limited diet and a long list of anxieties and aversions. I found practical and spatial tasks such as learning to drive very difficult. I didn't really know what to make of all this until I heard a "Book of the Week" on the radio called "Born on a Blue Day" by Daniel Tammet. The book is about his life with AS and so many of the characteristics he mentioned (not his savant skills I should stress) seemed to apply to me. I then read other autobiographies of people with AS and very soon was certain I also had it. There may be some people who have no idea they have AS until they are diagnosed but I would say most will recognise the characteristics long beforehand. These characteristics come in different combinations but the number and strength of them usually leaves little doubt that someone is on the spectrum.

• Like 2