• Announcements

• Willow

Welcome to the forum!   09/17/2017

Please come in from the rain and sit by the fire! We're happy you found us and hope you will feel at home here.  
Roxy

Do Anti-depressants Actually Work?

Roxy

When you are feeling so depressed and possibly suicidal? any Aspie ever tried them and do they make you feel better or just zombie you out? 

Or does anyone have any other suggestions for food/tablets that can make you feel happier?

Edited by Roxy

Miss Chief

I do find that antidepressants help... they by no means completely fix things but I am much better on them than off (they don't make me a zombie/numb at all). Other things that can help are a healthy diet and exercise (although both can be very difficult if you are feeling low/lethargic).

I just watched this video that might offer some help too: 

Edited by Miss Chief
  • Like 1

Nesf

I take antidepressants and they do help, I'm coping a lot better now that I'm on them. It can take a while to find the right one and the right dosage though, you might need to try various different ones. Also, it takes a while for them to take effect.

Angry Primeape

They help me along with anti anxiety and an antipsychotic

Eliza

When you find one that works, don't stop taking it unless your provider tells you to. This was a mistake I made years ago, and have had a rough time finding something that works for me.

My new health care provider pretty much insists I try again, so I'll try one more time...maybe. I know they help a lot of other people but they often cause my super power hearing to be even more intense.

DavidTheWitch

Anti-Depressants can be dangerous. However if you need to take them to stop from hanging yourself from the ceiling fan do. Then can be the only choice for some people. If only  Robin Williams had been able to get himself stable we might still have him!

Sirius74
On 28/11/2017 at 12:38 PM, Miss Chief said:

...they don't make me a zombie/numb at all...

This has always been my biggest concern. I need to feel more, not less.

Laurie

I think antidepressants help up to a point. A lot of people’s brains have different levels of dopamine and serotonin so medicines are helpful!!! But I think therapy is great too. I believe both should be used and a big fan of both!