• Announcements

• Willow

Welcome to the forum!   09/17/2017

Please come in from the rain and sit by the fire! We're happy you found us and hope you will feel at home here.  
DavidTheWitch

Am I a psychopath detector

DavidTheWitch

So I feel I can detect if a person is mentally extreme in personality. For instance  knew my mother had PTSD before she told me. I also knew that my father was not a narcissist despite my brother's insistence that  he was and that his condition was caused by abuse. I know a lot of people are bipolar in my group home simply by being around them. And I knew from listening to a speech that something was wrong with Trump while many people were under his spell!

Heather

No, I don't think you are a psychopath detector, you are not a machine and please be aware, you will almost positively be wrong in the future even if you have good intuition about these things.

The more knowledge you have, the more you observe someone and the more intuitive you are, the more you are going to be able to understand what is really going on with someone. Just because you were right a few times, does not mean you have some secret knowledge about everyone's mental state. I am sure it is because you knew your mother and father well, and people in your group, and so you had time to observe them and you had previous knowledge that you could use to "diagnose' them.  But please try not to let this make you arrogant because just because you know one person does not mean you know everyone.  AND it makes sense you would know your parents and group well.  Your brother probably just had other ways of thinking about it, or maybe it was easier for him to think of your father as a narcissist, it might have been his way to understand his world.

Point is, it is not a superpower or anything, it just shows you observed them as well as at least a psychologist would who diagnosed your mother and father and group. Not trying to downplay it but it's what I think.

• Like 1

Miss Chief

It's pretty easy to spot PTSD and bipolar is very easy to spot given that people swing from manic to depressed. As long as you know what you're looking at/for then it is easy to see it. Like most aspies I would imagine you have some interest in mental health and therefore you recognise these traits more easily but no I don't think this is some kind of super power. As for Psychopathy I would be very surprised if you noticed it since psychopaths are exceedingly good at hiding it.

• Like 1

DavidTheWitch

Trump is very good at hiding. From stupid people that is!