• Announcements

• Willow

Welcome to the forum!   09/17/2017

Please come in from the rain and sit by the fire! We're happy you found us and hope you will feel at home here.  
blacktiger911

is suicide wrong?

blacktiger911

is suicide really wrong or do we just tell people that. if someone is truly suffering then wouldent it be a good thing? to finally stop suffering and being tourchered in your own head? when the emotional pain becomes physical.

Nesf

It's not so much wrong as an incredibly bad, tragic decision, which doesn't solve any problems and causes grief for other people. But I don't think it should be a crime or illegal - we can't tell people what to do or not to do, and there is no way of enforcing such a law. I think that there are some special circumstances when it can be a 'right' decision, as in the case of euthanasia, when the person has a chronic fatal illness and is suffering or has a bad quality of life, and that person then discusses it with their family, and they come to that decision because the person doesn't want to suffer any longer and the family don't want to see the person suffer. But unfortunately, most suicides are the result of depression or PTSD and are often impulse decisions as the result of bad brain chemistry - and that is what makes it tragic, a waste of life and a really bad decision, because there are other, better solutions if the person seeks help.

• Like 3

Peridot

Suicide isn't wrong. To commit suicide is the wrong decision often times though.

I recently heard this interview with someone who's job it is to clean up the tracks after someone jumped in front of a train. He said it takes three hours in most cases to clean everything up. He also said that because he had seen what the impact of the train does to a person he would never commit suicide by jumping in front of a train.

• Like 5

Angry Primeape

It depends on the situation

If a person has a condition which is going to kill them anyway and they can't take the pain of it any more, and they want to commit suicide to make the pain end sooner, I wouldn't disagree with their decision then tbh 

• Like 2

Peridot

I also saw an interview with a schizophrenic woman. She was 29 I think. Here's the video.

The title of the video translates to "Saskia Bos longs for death". She says she has attempted suicide eleven times. Sometimes on impulse like Nesf said. She tried to hang herself. It's a heartbreaking story that she tells. She speaks of how the quality of  her life is low as sometimes she is afraid to go to the supermarket and too proud to ask her parents to do it for her so there have been times she didn't eat. She has no partner, no job, no "normal" or "full" life. She has nothing to share therefore at family get togethers and feels isolated in a sense. She doesn't see her sisters as often anymore as they are too busy with their kids. And so on.

I was acquainted to a schizophrenic man once. He had lived in the streets of Paris for a while. He tried to kill himself too by jumping off a building which resulted in his feet being severely damaged so he needed special shoes after that. He eventually died of cancer due to having smoked his entire life.

Heather

As others have said, I think in some situations it is less wrong because if the person has a chronic illness that is causing them unbearable pain, I would feel bad to not let them if that was their decision. But I also feel that it is wrong or at least a situation that should not be made easily because we cannot see the bigger picture and if we choose to die sooner than we would have otherwise, something else might not have happened which would have brought joy to someone.  

It is a very hard topic though, I have a hard time because I do not like seeing others in pain and suffering but we do not know what is just around the corner.  And I believe pain and suffering can be used for good later... for an example, someone who went through pain and suffering and overcame it is better placed to understand someone who is currently struggling than someone who never did.  

Anyway I hope you are feeling better soon. I hope things get better for you and anyone who is struggling or feeling depressed or in pain.

• Like 3
  • Helpful 1

Asgardian

There are two ways of looking at this. On the one hand, suicide is selfish. A person taking their own life is not considering the affect it will have on their friends, family, work colleagues and indeed people who have to deal with the aftermath of their death. So in that regard suicide is wrong. However, you also have to take into account the feelings of the person who wants to/does commit suicide. They must be in a dark place, a place that nobody other than them can truly comprehend. Of course, suicide is never the answer but if they genuinely believe that is their only option then it is difficult to argue that it is truly wrong on every level. One thing is for certain, whatever angle you look at it from suicide is utterly tragic and has a devastating affect on all concerned.

An anomaly here as others have said is someone with a chronic or terminal illness. I don't believe it is wrong then at all. We don't expect animals to suffer, when they are suffering that much they are put to sleep. It seems wrong to expect humans to put up with such hardship.

@blacktiger911 One other thing I will add. Reading your other thread you posted today, I hope you can find some sort of help or support. You are clearly in a bad place and are feeling troubled. I am sorry I don't have any more practical advice, but please know that you are not alone and the people on this forum are here to support you.

• Like 2
  • Helpful 2

blacktiger911
5 hours ago, Heather said:

As others have said, I think in some situations it is less wrong because if the person has a chronic illness that is causing them unbearable pain, I would feel bad to not let them if that was their decision. But I also feel that it is wrong or at least a situation that should not be made easily because we cannot see the bigger picture and if we choose to die sooner than we would have otherwise, something else might not have happened which would have brought joy to someone.  

It is a very hard topic though, I have a hard time because I do not like seeing others in pain and suffering but we do not know what is just around the corner.  And I believe pain and suffering can be used for good later... for an example, someone who went through pain and suffering and overcame it is better placed to understand someone who is currently struggling than someone who never did.  

Anyway I hope you are feeling better soon. I hope things get better for you and anyone who is struggling or feeling depressed or in pain.

I am on vacation. 1300 miles from home and all I feel is stress about being away from work and home.

• Sad 1

Heather
2 hours ago, blacktiger911 said:

I am on vacation. 1300 miles from home and all I feel is stress about being away from work and home.

Try to make the most of your vacation. Work and home will be there when you get back. It can be hard either at the beginning of a vacation and adjusting to the change in routine or after a while you just wanr to go home... It is understandable but please... Try to relax and do something you enjoy.  :)

• Like 2

MrGrey
On 2/12/2018 at 5:01 AM, Peridot said:

Suicide isn't wrong. To commit suicide is the wrong decision often times though.

^^This^^

Because usually things get better.