• Announcements

• Willow

Welcome to the forum!   09/17/2017

Please come in from the rain and sit by the fire! We're happy you found us and hope you will feel at home here.  
Sign in to follow this  
nichii

ADHD and lack of motivation to do things you want to do

nichii

I don't know if anyone else has ADHD, but ADHD has similarities to ASD, so maybe you guys can relate to what I'm going to say. I find it very hard to do fun things that I want to do. I just can't motivate myself to do things. I really like gaming and just bought Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3 a couple days ago. I was so excited to play it, but I haven't even bothered downloading and installing it. I have so many games that I would love to play, but I can't for the life of me play any of them. I don't believe this is depression related because I feel like this even on days when I'm not depressed. It's bad enough that ADHD makes it hard to do important stuff like chores and making appointments, but it also affects my ability to do things I actually want to do. Even my ritalin isn't enough to motivate me to do something fun. All I do every day is sit at my computer and spend the whole day on reddit, youtube, and sometimes sites like this. I like the websites I spend time on, but I can't even consider it to be that fun anymore. It's just something to do to pass the time because there's nothing else to do. Can any of you relate to this? Have you experienced this kind of thing too?

• Like 1

Primeape

I can relate to this i have ADHD too, i can say i deffo lack motivation to do chore and stuff and that is really bad, but yeah i can say i do lack motivation to do stuff i actually enjoy too

I cant have treatment for ADHD anymore due to my heart so it is twice has difficult has before, im not 100% sure if it is my depression playing a part either 

Like you i have games i need to install but cant be bothered, i have unfinished games thats i havent completed i get really annoyed with myself that i play a new game without completing one first, thats one thing i wish i didnt do but when starting a game i dont have much of an attenstion span to complete it 

So yeah i can relate to what you say 

• Like 1

Willow

I had ADD - so, ADHD without the hyperactivity - and I can relate to this so much. I sit here wishing I was out and about, or playing games that I used to love, or even just working on my college project, but I just feel like there's a wall between me and anything I want or need to do. Sometimes it takes me all week to find the motivation to do something I had planned for Monday. Honestly, most of the time I fit into a week what people would fit into a day. It's like I'm in super slow motion.

• Like 2

Nesf

I'm not diagnosed with ADHD, but I do have some traits. I can relate to the feeling of lethargy and lack of motivation, even for things I enjoy - I think that is due to depression rather than ADHD, but I may be wrong. I don't ever get everything done that needs to be done in a day, and some things I leave for months on end, like sorting clothes or the piles of books on my desk that aren't actually being used, but are just left there.