• Announcements

• Willow

Welcome to the forum!   09/17/2017

Please come in from the rain and sit by the fire! We're happy you found us and hope you will feel at home here.  
Sign in to follow this  
Sanctuary

TV programme - "Are You Autistic?" (Channel 4 UK)

Sanctuary

Channel 4 broadcast a documentary called "Are You Autistic?" a couple of days ago - I'm not sure if it were a repeat as it seems to have been made last year and Nesf highlighted the questionnaire used in the research behind the show (I can't find her thread). If you're in the UK you can see the documentary at:

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/are-you-autistic 

While it had some useful elements overall I was disappointed with this programme. Presumably it was aimed at a general audience with limited or no knowledge of autism. If so I suspect they would have gone away with little idea of how autism affects people's lives. Almost all those featured in the programme were young women and while accepting that many women are undiagnosed this seemed an odd choice. Apart from the two individuals seeking a diagnosis we learned little about autism affected the lives of the others who spoke on screen. As regards the diagnosis process the two individuals were to get their answer after one session - admittedly with an acclaimed expert but still a far cry from the protracted and tortuous process most encounter.

Overall the documentary seemed rather superficial and less effective than some of the others highlighted on this forum. Autism is such a broad and complex issue it really needs a series which can really get into depth and fully explore a wider range of characteristics and individuals on the spectrum. It's still worth seeing and maybe others may find it more informative.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

HalfFull

These things will never be perfect, but I think this could actually lead the way towards more informative ones maybe as part of a series. I liked the 2 young female presenters and found them to be very raw and genuine. I liked that females were featured more than ever, and the dating part where the NT men couldn't tell their dates were Autistic, plus the sandwich order test.

• Like 1

Primeape

I realise my psychologist wasn't a very good one due to this program every person being tested for ASD seemed to have tests with language and things 

I had no test like that she seemed to think it was fine with me, i see 98% of ones Aspergers saying stuff I struggle to understand....I don't always ask what they are talking about cause they would probably confuse even more 

Nesf
On 3/31/2018 at 12:21 PM, Sanctuary said:

Nesf highlighted the questionnaire used in the research behind the show

It wasn't me, it was someone else, I can't remember who.

On 3/31/2018 at 12:21 PM, Sanctuary said:

As regards the diagnosis process the two individuals were to get their answer after one session

I only had one session, too.

6 hours ago, Primeape said:

realise my psychologist wasn't a very good one due to this program every person being tested for ASD seemed to have tests with language and things

I didn't get any of these tests, either, just an interview, then a report with my diagnosis.

Sanctuary
2 hours ago, Nesf said:

It wasn't me, it was someone else, I can't remember who.

I only had one session, too.

I didn't get any of these tests, either, just an interview, then a report with my diagnosis.

It's possible one session may be enough - some cases may be very straightforward. Certainly the man they saw - Simon Baron-Cohen - is a world-renowned expert on autism and could probably draw conclusions more quickly than others who might be consulted. Of course most individuals seeking a diagnosis are not fortunate enough to see someone of his expertise or - if they do see someone very eminent - it will be after a long period of waiting and maybe earlier consultations with others. We also hear on this forum and elsewhere of individuals who have to attend numerous meetings, have to undergo numerous tests, have testimony from relatives and others who know them and so on. There seems to be great variation in the diagnosis process but overall - for most people - it is long, difficult and (potentially) expensive. It certainly needs to be made quicker and less difficult so people can get the answers and support they need.

• Like 1