• Announcements

• Willow

Welcome to the forum!   09/17/2017

Please come in from the rain and sit by the fire! We're happy you found us and hope you will feel at home here.  

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest Chris

The Grand Plan

L Lawliet

Some interesting ideas for development - the only one I'm not so enthusiastic about is the idea of advertisments on the site... though I do appreciate that you need to get your funding from somewhere. One of the things that's great about the site at the moment is no adverts! Perhaps a system whereby if you contribute financially, you don't get the adverts? I would glady contribute anyway, but that would be an extra incentive.

Also. i'm slightly uneasy about non registered posters(edit) being able to post - there may be problems with spammers, trolls, or just anonymous posters butting in with random or silly remarks as happens on other sites I've seen. It might spoil the quality and integrity of the threads.

But in general, these changes would intoduce a lot of significant improvements, and I'm sure the forum will continue to do well!

These were my only worries too. I find adverts rather hectic and give websites a very "busy" feel to them. I'm also not sure about people we don't know commenting as I feel that knowing who people are is what makes it feel like a very welcoming and safe environment.

Other than that I'll be curious to see the end product and I can't wait to see it  :D

(I know this is quite an old thread so sorry for the late replying)

Guest Chris

Don't worry about it being an old thread - all feedback and input is going to be really helpful to make sure we get everything right. :-)

Lemmington

If it gets to a worldwide level of popular, i'm probably just going to leave the forums. I honestly can't stand extremely busy forums.

Kuribo [old account]

If it gets to a worldwide level of popular, i'm probably just going to leave the forums. I honestly can't stand extremely busy forums.

Some bigger forums have an "elders" section for people who've been around since the beginning, so that the original community doesn't lose touch.

Ben

There's a forum I post on which has nearly two hundred sub-forums, with a new post every three or four seconds. You have to subscribe to every thread you post on, or else you get seriously lost - it's crazy over there. 

Wren

There's a forum I post on which has nearly two hundred sub-forums, with a new post every three or four seconds. You have to subscribe to every thread you post on, or else you get seriously lost - it's crazy over there.

:o

Xenolith

That isn't TheStudentRoom by any chance? I'm active on TSR and it's probably even busier than that.

Ben

That isn't TheStudentRoom by any chance? I'm active on TSR and it's probably even busier than that.

No, it's Christian Forums - it's so big, I'm yet to meet the same member twice, and I've been there a good six or seven months now.  

TheStudentRoom? I browse on there occasionally... All I ever seem to see on there is trolling Ha! Ha! 

Xenolith

No, it's Christian Forums - it's so big, I'm yet to meet the same member twice, and I've been there a good six or seven months now.  

TheStudentRoom? I browse on there occasionally... All I ever seem to see on there is trolling Ha! Ha! 

TheStudentRoom is a mixed bag. There are some brilliant people there and lots of not-so-brilliant people. I do quite like it though and I recently got 'study helper' status there which is quite nice. One annoying thing about TSR is that it's an excellent example of how you can be academically amazing and yet remain completely stupid. There are lots of academic high fliers on TSR (lots of people with >10 A*s at GCSE, etc.) who go around spewing absolute nonsense about things they haven't got a clue about. There's also a lot of arrogance. Opening a "What grades did you get" thread is basically suicide. There's not too much trolling, and most of the trolling is pretty pathetic to be honest.

I have to say though, I am starting to go off TSR. Asperclick is sooooo much friendlier and less frustrating. I've got quite a lot of abuse on TSR, which I can cope with, but it's nicer being with people who are actually sane, i.e. you guys.

Nesf

Same here - WP is a bit like that. I used to post there but I've gone right off it. It's way too busy for my liking.

Kuribo [old account]

Same here - WP is a bit like that. I used to post there but I've gone right off it. It's way too busy for my liking.

WP is far too busy for my liking too. It's not very good for finding friends nowadays, but I have to say that I learned more about myself there than on any other site. The fact that it's so big means that there's a huge variety of viewpoints, so people new to the Autism community can get a feel for the multitude of opinions on less-publicised issues such as the "cure" debate, etc.

I'd recommend Asperclick and one other forum to anyone looking for friends, but WP can be a great educational resource for those unfamiliar with the online community.

(deleted)

Eeek!!! They're changing the software!!! :o :o :o

I absolutely HATE it when people change my favourite forums. :angry: :angry: :angry: