Scheduled Live-streams Read more... ×
Akirasugoineko

What is AS too you?

Akirasugoineko

I know the diagnostic criteria for AS. But what I find really interesting is how people who actualy has it feels about it. How would you describe AS?

specialstar

Well i was refused the diagnosis of aspergers, but was diagnosed with autism 

Willow

I think AS is difficult, sometimes a LOT more than others, but overall I see it as a positive thing. I think the teenage years are the worse, because hormones intensify it, but once you're past that I think you can learn to cope a lot better and turn it into a good thing - hone in on special skills etc and use the obsession and focus we have to do well in a work environment. I see AS as who I am, not what I have.

Whoknows

You just happened to be born like Monkey D. Luffy or Goku.

Also, depending on the situation (if you get me), you may end up like Sanji.

Heather
I think AS is difficult, sometimes a LOT more than others, but overall I see it as a positive thing. I think the teenage years are the worse, because hormones intensify it, but once you're past that I think you can learn to cope a lot better and turn it into a good thing - hone in on special skills etc and use the obsession and focus we have to do well in a work environment. I see AS as who I am, not what I have.

Well said.  I like Willow's definition.  I see it as who I am, as a difference to how we see the world compared to how others see the world.  I also agree the teenage years are probably the worst.  It affect us from being able to do everything someone might be able to, but it doesn't matter, because we can do our life in a way that suits us, as we discover our strengths and weaknesses, and discover more about ourselves. 

Alex

I personally feel that AS means that I perceive the world in another way...I think differently, I talk differently, I learn differently etc. etc.

Alex

And also, AS to me comes with severe anxiety...I know that about 60% of people with AS has anxiety as a side diagnosis

Heather
And also, AS to me comes with severe anxiety...I know that about 60% of people with AS has anxiety as a side diagnosis

Yes I believe you are right with this.  My boyfriend and I both have pretty bad anxiety.

Willow

Yes, for me too. It's like, a sidenote on one of my official diagnosis report thingys that I have anxiety problems.

Alex
Yes I believe you are right with this.  My boyfriend and I both have pretty bad anxiety.

Exactly. And some people are better at coping with anxiety than others, but because we have AS, it doesn't come as natural to us to calm ourselves down, using our "inner voice". I'm not sure if this is the right word for it, but I'm thinking it's called "Self-speech"...I dont even know...But as I said, what I've heard is that we aspies have to learn this so called self-speech, while it's natural for a neuro-typical to use this method, to calm themselves down. I'm currently receiving therapy by a psychologist, and I am learning these cognitive skills, like self-speech etc.