Akirasugoineko

What is AS too you?

Heather
Exactly. And some people are better at coping with anxiety than others, but because we have AS, it doesn't come as natural to us to calm ourselves down, using our "inner voice". I'm not sure if this is the right word for it, but I'm thinking it's called "Self-speech"...I dont even know...But as I said, what I've heard is that we aspies have to learn this so called self-speech, while it's natural for a neuro-typical to use this method, to calm themselves down. I'm currently receiving therapy by a psychologist, and I am learning these cognitive skills, like self-speech etc.

Yeah that sounds about right.  I remember a few years ago, I got some help in regards to my anxiety, and I remember them telling me about "positive self-talk" and I was able to use it sometimes when I got anxious or thought of an anxiety producing situation, and it helped calm me down quite a bit.  Though it's a hard skill to remember all the time.  And especially when stressed, it seems all logical thought processes get forgotten.  It's something that we just have to practice and work on I guess.

Willow
Yeah that sounds about right.  I remember a few years ago, I got some help in regards to my anxiety, and I remember them telling me about "positive self-talk" and I was able to use it sometimes when I got anxious or thought of an anxiety producing situation, and it helped calm me down quite a bit.  Though it's a hard skill to remember all the time.  And especially when stressed, it seems all logical thought processes get forgotten.  It's something that we just have to practice and work on I guess.

Interesting...I've not heard of the self speech thing before. I guess it sort of makes sense though, trying to calm yourself down. You're right though squeeker, all logical thought processes do get forgotten. I need someone else to step in and be the voice that calms me down - other wise I can cry for a long time and just panic etc.

Sofi

I have bad anxiety problems possibly from my Autism. Autism affects all parts of my life and causes difficulties mostly with talking to people and going out. There is a few positive things like my memory skills, my ability to remember sequences and patterns in numbers and dates. 

Heather
Interesting...I've not heard of the self speech thing before. I guess it sort of makes sense though, trying to calm yourself down. You're right though squeeker, all logical thought processes do get forgotten. I need someone else to step in and be the voice that calms me down - other wise I can cry for a long time and just panic etc.

I can see why you'd need someone to step in and calm you down in those situations.  Though I know for me it sometimes makes it worse before it gets better, especially if I don't know the person who's trying to calm me down very well.  I'm mostly thinking about the times I've got really stressed at work, if there was a problem.. I usually sort of keep it all in my head, but people notice it's taking me awhile, I might start getting a bit teary, but I'm holding it together.  But then one of my coworkers (who I know are nice but am not that comfortable with) asks me "what's wrong?" or a similar question, and I then start crying or blubbering as I try and explain, but it's not coming out coherently and then someone usually tells me to take a few minutes and sit in the crew room or something.  But then I get all better again.  Though I guess it's still that someone needed to step in to calm me down, because then someone else can finish the order and I can take a few deep breaths and calm down and think of it logically again.

ALC

I describe my self as having the 'Crazy brain' I am very much comfortable with my self, having AS. Of course, the symptoms that rage through my day to day life are rather annoying.

Ben
 How would you describe AS?

A gift.

(if you use it right) 

Aspergolfer

Hi! 

AS is my big advantage, a gift from God. It gives me the obsessive drive I need to be a champion golfer. It also grants me incredibly sharp hearing. I also have Fetal Alcohol Syndrome and I'm legally blind with nystagmus, all of which are curses. I can't drive or do anything more than the basic mathematical operations, but I can play golf!

Nesf

For me it meant that I had a lot of social difficulties, especially growing up as a child, I have always suffered from anxiety and depression, and I have always found it hard to get on with and understand  other people. I have always found it hard to fit in, I don't connect and relate to other people like most people do, and I usually prefer to be alone. But it also meant that I could become very focused and good in one area, that I have a good long term memory and eye for detail. It means that I'm an independent, critical thinker more likely to see things objectively and less likely to be influenced by peers - I can often see a side to things that others don't perceive.

Dr-David-Banner
9 hours ago, Nesf said:

For me it meant that I had a lot of social difficulties, especially growing up as a child, I have always suffered from anxiety and depression, and I have always found it hard to get on with and understand  other people. I have always found it hard to fit in, I don't connect and relate to other people like most people do, and I usually prefer to be alone. But it also meant that I could become very focused and good in one area, that I have a good long term memory and eye for detail. It means that I'm an independent, critical thinker more likely to see things objectively and less likely to be influenced by peers - I can often see a side to things that others don't perceive.

It seems a lot of autistic kids tend to have dominant linguistic and reading skills. Very often there is a big lag in maths caused by time and spatial impairment. Very weird for me is I managed to overcome my former dyscalculia. Study sessions gave me huge mental blocks (sometimes tears) but the ability to use maths did come. For me that challenges the concept that autistics have a brain defect that disables maths ability. Linguistic ability I always had in that I didn't have to work unusually hard. My biggest negative trait is poor manual ability. I struggle to do physical tasks. I recall the first time I tried to fit a bike wheel I flew into a rage. In many areas I still lag - communication, organization, personal appearance, motivation, finishing tasks as well as maturity. 

Nesf
6 hours ago, Dr-David-Banner said:

It seems a lot of autistic kids tend to have dominant linguistic and reading skills. Very often there is a big lag in maths caused by time and spatial impairment. Very weird for me is I managed to overcome my former dyscalculia. Study sessions gave me huge mental blocks (sometimes tears) but the ability to use maths did come. For me that challenges the concept that autistics have a brain defect that disables maths ability. Linguistic ability I always had in that I didn't have to work unusually hard. My biggest negative trait is poor manual ability. I struggle to do physical tasks. I recall the first time I tried to fit a bike wheel I flew into a rage. In many areas I still lag - communication, organization, personal appearance, motivation, finishing tasks as well as maturity. 

I follow this pattern, because I also struggled with maths, in particular algebra - I tried to learn better maths skills late in life, but found that no matter how hard I tried I couldn't improve. Part of the problem could be the way it was explained, if they had explained in a different way, I might have been more successful.

It sounds like you might have dyspraxia. I don't have dyspraxia, but neither was I ever very good at sports or things that require good body coordination, I was late to learn to ride a bike without stabilisers and I have bad handwriting.