Akirasugoineko

What is AS too you?

Aspergolfer

Wow! That's me to a T! I can read something & memorize it easily. Math though is a whole different story! I have a hard time keeping my score when I play golf!

Dr-David-Banner
7 hours ago, Nesf said:

I follow this pattern, because I also struggled with maths, in particular algebra - I tried to learn better maths skills late in life, but found that no matter how hard I tried I couldn't improve. Part of the problem could be the way it was explained, if they had explained in a different way, I might have been more successful.

It sounds like you might have dyspraxia. I don't have dyspraxia, but neither was I ever very good at sports or things that require good body coordination, I was late to learn to ride a bike without stabilisers and I have bad handwriting.

The poor handwriting has been classed as a motor impairment. Not sure if you have had issues with your right and left (for me, I often struggle with clockwise or anticlockwise when undoing nuts). Likewise, you could test how well you can catch a ball.

Maths has been noted as a definite familiar trait in autism in as much as linguistic skills or music tend to be much further developed. I did definitely suffer from major dyscalculia at school - memories of being forced to do class-tests and trying to copy off someone else. The good news is I have personally found that this can be overcome. In my case I really needed maths for my interest in electronics so I was prepared to really "frazzle" my brains. What happens is as you force your brain to work in that way, it will develop. In your case, I would avoid the method of someone trying to teach you and instead use online tutorials or books. Of course, really you need to apply the maths in a way that is useful enough to stimulate you to put in the work.

Anyway, when I read old Russian autism case histories from the USSR (eighties), very often I find poor maths is noted down:

"Научился читать и писать, но имелось выраженное «западение» навыков счета." (He learned to read and write but there was a pronounced delay in maths skills.

Here is something interesting, though: I had a friend who had very severe high-functioning autism. You could tell straight away how awkward he stood and how poorly he communicated (over polite and formal). Funny thing is, his maths was really terrific from the outset. In maths he was outstanding at school. I also recall he was quite good at listening to what others communicated verbally so actually did quite well at school. Despite that he was definitely autistic with all the stims and awkward motor movements.

Dr-David-Banner

I found just what I wanted to quote from here on maths: I'm not sure what the WIST test is but it's quoted an intelligence test for autistic children in the USSR. Results of one patient:

"Например, итоговая оценка по WIST - 92—93, вербальная - 114, невербальная - 71. Возможны затруднения в овладении школьными навыками, особенно по математике. Более отчетливо по сравнению с первой группой выражена недостаточность пространственно-временных представлений."

"For example, final evaluation via WIST - 92 - 93, verbal - 114, non-verbal (numerical) - 71. Possible complications in ability to acquire school subjects, especially in mathematics. More predominant (by comparison with the first group) is a pronounced deficiency in time/space related judgement." i.e. poor ball catching and so on..

So, it's saying there is one sub-grouping of autistic children who have a greater degree of dyspraxia and real difficulties with maths. Clearly this is where I fit quite snugly - so far as the symptoms outlined.

In my view it all makes interesting reading but I still don't think all the bits fit together. Just that a large sub group of autistics struggle with maths.

Nesf
19 hours ago, Dr-David-Banner said:

Not sure if you have had issues with your right and left (for me, I often struggle with clockwise or anticlockwise when undoing nuts). Likewise, you could test how well you can catch a ball.

Yes, I do have difficulty with left and right. I have to pause and think about which way is left and which way is left, it doesn't come naturally to me. It was quite a big problems when I was learning to drive and the instructor would say 'left' and I would turn right... or I'd miss the turning because I was too busy thinking about which way was left and which way was right! I also have difficulty with things like keys, which way to turn them. I have normal hand to eye coordination though - I can catch a ball and play tennis... but not things that need good coordination like breaststroke swimming - I never mastered breaststroke and could only do the front crawl. A friend at university onece told me that I walked funny - not sure what she meant by that, but it does seem that the way I move my body is somehow different to how other people do.

Dr-David-Banner
11 hours ago, Nesf said:

Yes, I do have difficulty with left and right. I have to pause and think about which way is left and which way is left, it doesn't come naturally to me. It was quite a big problems when I was learning to drive and the instructor would say 'left' and I would turn right... or I'd miss the turning because I was too busy thinking about which way was left and which way was right! I also have difficulty with things like keys, which way to turn them. I have normal hand to eye coordination though - I can catch a ball and play tennis... but not things that need good coordination like breaststroke swimming - I never mastered breaststroke and could only do the front crawl. A friend at university onece told me that I walked funny - not sure what she meant by that, but it does seem that the way I move my body is somehow different to how other people do.

I had this issue with tiller steering of a narrowboat. Given you steer with something like a walking stick, I had real problems with right and left. Fortunately with practice I managed to co-ordinate. I took a shot of alcohol to calm my panic and that helped me improve. Anyway, yes, it's safe to say you have motor impairment. Fortunately in my view you can still do sports. I used to cycle a lot and was fine but the motor issues bother me more in manual work. DIY was hard for me or doing cycle repairs. 

Max000
On 1/13/2013 at 4:21 AM, Akirasugoineko said:

I know the diagnostic criteria for AS. But what I find really interesting is how people who actualy has it feels about it. How would you describe AS?

It's a highly disabling mental disorder. That is all. 

Aspergolfer

It has been a blessing to me. The only downside is the sound sensitivity. We Autistics tend to be an obsessive lot & by God's grace I have been able to parlay that obsessive tendency into 19 tournament wins. 

I also have Fetal Alcohol Syndrome, which is a curse. O am also legally blind with nystagmus. I am a Christian, redeemed by the Blood of Christ. I have hope in a better world beyond this one. In that world, I will have no disabilities and I will dwell forever in the presence of God. John 3:16 says "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believer in Him should have everlasting life."

Akirasugoineko
On 2/7/2019 at 2:59 PM, Max000 said:

It's a highly disabling mental disorder. That is all. 

It was a long time since i posted. I been going thru a lot since then. I want to say that in my opinion, Its not that simple. far from it. Its very complex, with both good and bad.