cassidyeden

Spatial Awareness Difficulties

cassidyeden

Just wondering if any of you have problems with spatial awareness? I told you guys before that I wanted to drive, but couldn't. Well, I for sure am not driving ever again:( I got into a wreck. It was terrible! My mom was in the car cause I only had a learner's permit and we're lucky we didn't get killed. Now, me and my parents have decided that for my own safety and the safety of others, that I would never drive again, but if that's the case, how would I be able to go anywhere?:( I can't stay homebound and dependent on everyone else to drive me for the rest of my life. I started thinking that the accident was caused by my Asperger's Syndrome. I am planning on telling my therapist this when I go to him next month. I'm going to ask him if the accident had anything to do with my Asperger's and my difficulty with spatial awareness. See. What happened was the accident was caused by me mixing up the gas pedal with the brake.:( When my mom said ''stop'', I thought I was hitting the brakes, but I was really hitting the gas!:(  I now take online classes at a local community college. It's going good, but I'm still upset about the accident and it hindering my chances of ever driving again.:(  I don't want to stay homebound for the rest of my life.:( No public transportation and plus I live out in the country out in the middle of nowhere so not close to anything.:( I have no way to get out and socialize with my peers. I want to make friends and socialize, but how am I suppose to do that now?:(

L Lawliet

Just wondering if any of you have problems with spatial awareness? I told you guys before that I wanted to drive, but couldn't. Well, I for sure am not driving ever again:( I got into a wreck. It was terrible! My mom was in the car cause I only had a learner's permit and we're lucky we didn't get killed. Now, me and my parents have decided that for my own safety and the safety of others, that I would never drive again, but if that's the case, how would I be able to go anywhere? :( I can't stay homebound and dependent on everyone else to drive me for the rest of my life. I started thinking that the accident was caused by my Asperger's Syndrome. I am planning on telling my therapist this when I go to him next month. I'm going to ask him if the accident had anything to do with my Asperger's and my difficulty with spatial awareness. See. What happened was the accident was caused by me mixing up the gas pedal with the brake. :( When my mom said ''stop'', I thought I was hitting the brakes, but I was really hitting the gas! :(  I now take online classes at a local community college. It's going good, but I'm still upset about the accident and it hindering my chances of ever driving again. :(  I don't want to stay homebound for the rest of my life. :( No public transportation and plus I live out in the country out in the middle of nowhere so not close to anything. :( I have no way to get out and socialize with my peers. I want to make friends and socialize, but how am I suppose to do that now? :(

Sorry to hear about the accident. It definitely sounds like it has seriously knocked your confidence :/ It is unfortunate that you had this accident and I can't blame you for not wanting to drive again. As I understand it, you were in your mums car? If you started having lessons, you'll be in a car where the driving instructor has pedals of their own for situations like this.

It definitely sounds like you need to have the chat about spatial awareness with your therapist and just see what they say, but I wouldn't write off driving just yet until you know more. I understand why you and your family would worry about you driving again but accidents do happen and you're not a qualified driver so the chances of this happening would have been higher anyway. Thats why driving instructors have the dual controls, because beginners can't drive :)

I used to have lessons but I used to have really bad nerves. Luckily I had a very patient and understanding instructor. I stopped having lessons because of money but I wish I could have carried them on just because, like you, I live in the country and public transport and relying on others isn't ideal. Although we'll have to see how my nerves improve :S

Have you considered learning in an automatic car? I used to react slow when driving because I had a million things to think about at once. Gear change, gas, clutch, wheel, mirrors... I'm thinking of learning to drive one, just because my multitasking and nerves really are that bad!

If it turns out that it is safer if you don't drive, then it might be worth discussing with your family about moving somewhere where everything is closer. In a town?

Hope this helps in some way ^^ x

Nesf

First of all, I know what you mean by spacial awareness - mine isn't brilliant either, and when I was learing to drive I found it hard to judge distances - roundabouts were always difficult for me and I dreaded them. I once had a kind of panicky shutdown in the middle of the dual carriageway and the instructor lost his nerve and shouted at me, making things worse, and I was unable to drive for the rest of the lesson, but i still continued with it after being reassured by my parents that all learners make such mistakes, and I passed my test in the end, and I have never had an accident, except for a broken mirror once. So you shouldn't let such a thing deter you, all learners make such mistakes at some point. Nor is having AS a reason not to learn, many people with AS drive and become good drivers. I think you should give it another chance - if you practise your driving will improve and you will gain confidence, and become a good driver.

L Lawliet

First of all, I know what you mean by spacial awareness - mine isn't brilliant either, and when I was learing to drive I found it hard to judge distances - roundabouts were always difficult for me and I dreaded them. I once had a kind of panicky shutdown in the middle of the dual carriageway and the instructor lost his nerve and shouted at me, making things worse, and I was unable to drive for the rest of the lesson, but i still continued with it after being reassured by my parents that all learners make such mistakes, and I passed my test in the end, and I have never had an accident, except for a broken mirror once. So you shouldn't let such a thing deter you, all learners make such mistakes at some point. Nor is having AS a reason not to learn, many people with AS drive and become good drivers. I think you should give it another chance - if you practise your driving will improve and you will gain confidence, and become a good driver.

Mine was roundabouts too! I'd slow right down way before the roundabout because I knew I wouldn't be able to do everything all at once last minute! Haha! Most of the time, my stress was caused by other drivers being gits :P

Smithy The Wizard

I know I would have a hard time driving a car (I don't even really want to), I can ride a bike just fine. But a car is much larger, I would have a lot of trouble driving it I think. And it is because, I don't know how long a foot is (if you use the metric system just pretend that I'm saying meters). Most people can look at an object and say it's 6 feet long. I would just look at it and scratch my head and probably end up making a silly guess that is either too big or too small (unless I have a tool like a ruler). So I don't think I would like cars, fortunately I can manage a bike.  ^_^

Other than that I don't think I have any other spatial awareness issues.

It must suck to have been in a car crash recently. :( But you're okay so that's good. :)

Nesf

Mine was roundabouts too! I'd slow right down way before the roundabout because I knew I wouldn't be able to do everything all at once last minute! Haha! Most of the time, my stress was caused by other drivers being gits :P

The first time i took my test i failed due to misjudging a roundabout. They make me very nervous, never liked them - I much prefer traffic lights, and I love the ones that have a countdown on them you get in some countries. I think that they reduce driver frustration when the drivers can see how long they have until the light changes. I also have road rage sometimes. i suppose everyone does - but i really shout!!

HenryVIII

Have you considered learning in an automatic car?

I switched to an automatic car 18 years ago and it was the best thing I have ever done.

The gear changing for me was one too many tasks and I had several accidents because I was over thinking.

I am still not a good driver, in fact I am a crap driver, but I am safer in an automatic than I ever was in a manual.

If anyone is struggling with a manual gearbox, or just struggling to drive then try and automatic - you will be AMAZED how easy it is.

L Lawliet

I switched to an automatic car 18 years ago and it was the best thing I have ever done.

The gear changing for me was one too many tasks and I had several accidents because I was over thinking.

I am still not a good driver, in fact I am a crap driver, but I am safer in an automatic than I ever was in a manual.

If anyone is struggling with a manual gearbox, or just struggling to drive then try and automatic - you will be AMAZED how easy it is.

Yeah I'm seriously thinking of getting lessons in one. Do you find that it limits what type of cars you can get? I know automatics are becoming a lot more common but I just wondered if it limits you to certain types of cars :)

Not that I care I just want to be able to drive. I don't care if its a wheelbarrow with an engine on the back haha! Just curious...

Shōnen Bat

I'd like to say no but the scars on my hands and arms and the sheer volume of expensive glassware I have broken over the last year and a half would beg to differ :P  I did start learning how to drive a car and after a long time I did pick it up but I never took the test, it seemed kind of pointless and since I have yet to earn enough to even think about running a car I haven't regretted it yet. The hardest thing about the car was the size of it. A bike is easy because in size terms its only marginally bigger than you are. It also helps that you are going so much slower so there is more time to react. Learning to ride a motorbike is pretty easy if you can ride a bike (well getting the CBT is easy, not sure about the full licence).

HalfFull

Hi Cassidy

Sorry to hear about your accident. I think that its possible that the way that Aspergers affects you might have created the situation leading to the accident, although another possibility is that you have Attention Deficit Disorder. There are people with that who drive, although I was almost in an accident when in the car with an ADD driver. However, if you have problems with Spatial Awareness that could be it. I myself have Spatial Awareness problems and occasionally get confused just cycling and have even been known to be confused as a pedestrian so put me in a car and can you imagine? I'm 40 now and have never driven beyond a few informal lessons. I once had a quick lesson in a supermarket car park after closing and almost reversed into the glass of the trolley shelter. One think I can't do is recognise car makes from their shape. I literally have to see the badge to know the make and probably wouldn't know a BMW or Mercedes without seeing the badge. I was going to discussing this once on an Aspie meet up and told someone I was going to post about it, then someone who wouldn't have known about the conversation, started such a topic 2 days later and I then looked this thing up 'Car Blindness' and 2 of the top results related to Asperger Syndrome. So, if Car Blindness is caused by lack of Spatial Awareness and is often an Aspie trait, then lack of Spatial Awareness itself is probably an Asperger trait, so I would say that there is certainly a possible link between Asperger Syndrome and your accident although not a definite link.

Take Care

Dean