Scheduled Live-streams Read more... ×
Chris123

Cracking Fingers, Habit Or Aspergers?

Chris123

I noticed the other day while in a meeting at school i got very anxious and i automatically started cracking my fingers, I then realised i do it every time I'm in busy places or in conversations. Does this have anything to do with aspergers or is it just a little habit? and do you guys do anything similar?  :)

Babadakad

I seem to sometimes crack my fingers when I'm bored and I would only notice it when someone pointed it out to me due to the annoying cracking sound. I do not know if it's just a habit or an Asperger thingy, but since little tics and quirks often come with Asperger's one could presume.

Edited by Babadakad

Dakohi

Habit. Cuz it sickens me when people do that ¬____¬

Willow

Cracking fingers specifically won't be directly related to Aspergers, but the fact that it's a repetitive movement which you do when you're anxious will be related. I do it too. My fiancé picks at his nails/skin on his fingers and it drives me CRAZY! XD

annalise_fox_ford

when i am nervos or bord i will shake one of my hands does this count as repetative ? :spookyj::spookys::spookyk::spookyc:

Nesf

I don't crack my fingers, the sound gives me the creeps, but I fiddle with the collar of my shirt or sleeves, rub my hands, or fiddle with my hair. I do it a lot of the time, I can't help it.

Geedee

I've cracked my fingers, wrist and elbow joints for decades. My joints seem to stiffen daily and cracking makes them feel loose and relaxed. I try to do this action in private because the noise can be distracting and upsetting for most people.

Long ago, when I did a lot of exercise, I regularly cracked my knee joints.  I also occasionally cracked joints in my upper torso by stretching my arms out and arching my back. I'm not sure really what was cracking though it felt like my sternum and upper spine!

Toran

Im not sure if its related to my aspergers but I tend to bounce my leg up and if im sitting and particulary stressed or whether its just related to nerves. Ive always done it so im not sure about the reasons its just something I always have done.

Nesf

Im not sure if its related to my aspergers but I tend to bounce my leg up and if im sitting and particulary stressed or whether its just related to nerves. Ive always done it so im not sure about the reasons its just something I always have done.

I do this too, I fidget a lot, especially when anxious. I think a lot of AS people do it, but I've noticed NTs doing it too, so I don't think it's specifically related to AS.

Mike_GX101

I wouldn't be at all surprised if the cracking of ones fingers isn't a form of stimming, to some extent.  I do this too and like to crack my spine too :) and all my joints in my body.  There is something nice and relieving about doing that despite what they say that it can lead to arthritis.  Well if that's really true then it's too late for me because I've been cracking my joints all my life!!

Edited by Mike_GX101