Chris123

Cracking Fingers, Habit Or Aspergers?

Toran

I have almost completely got myself out of this habit

That's good to hear can you tell us how you managed this or coping mechanisms you used?

ASDCommunity

Well Cracking knuckles and smoking cigarettes were probably the two worst habits. 

Do I stim? Yeah. Like pushing in a balloon, something else will come to the fore. I am aware I tend to count things a lot more than previously and tapping feet when sitting. I tend to hum when I realise so there is something to accompany the tapping. It looks strange just not as strange. I put on a bit of weight snacking too. 

Toran

Well Cracking knuckles and smoking cigarettes were probably the two worst habits. 

Do I stim? Yeah. Like pushing in a balloon, something else will come to the fore. I am aware I tend to count things a lot more than previously and tapping feet when sitting. I tend to hum when I realise so there is something to accompany the tapping. It looks strange just not as strange. I put on a bit of weight snacking too.

I can relate to that I've put on a bit of weight to comfort eating and I tap my foot when sitting it drives my partner mad especially when in the kitchen on the lino floor it sounds quite loud admittedly.

I try to limit it as much as I can especially in public but one thing I can't stop is swaying side to side especially when getting anxious, doesn't matter where I am when it happens people may look but hey that's life isn't it its how we are. :-)

Nesf

I try to limit it as much as I can especially in public but one thing I can't stop is swaying side to side especially when getting anxious, doesn't matter where I am when it happens people may look but hey that's life isn't it its how we are. :-)

The problems is not your swaying, but that fact that they can't accept it, or anything that doesn't meet their expectations of what one should do or shouldn't do in public. As long as you aren't harming anyone, there's no reason why you shouldn't do it. Keep swaying!

RiRi
On 10/19/2013 at 11:45 AM, Chris123 said:

I noticed the other day while in a meeting at school i got very anxious and i automatically started cracking my fingers, I then realised i do it every time I'm in busy places or in conversations. Does this have anything to do with aspergers or is it just a little habit? and do you guys do anything similar?  :)

I do this all the time. The times I've noticed me doing it is in public when I have nothing else to do and my fingers are ready to be cracked, not all of them but at least some.

Edited by RiRi