InsomniaDreams

Equality

InsomniaDreams

What is equality? If equality is a man made human construct and we agree that nature doesn't make us all equal, is it right to force a man made idea onto human beings?

King_oni

Perhaps it's not neccesarily equality that we have going on. Perhaps it's rather that we as a race would like to have equal treatment amongst peers.

We're not equal by any stretch. We're not the same. If we were the same we would be the same person, and even then it's debateable how much I'm not an individual. The closest thing we have going and would like to see is equal treatment. Not being treated like you're less. Or different up to a negative standard were you're treated as being "alien".

Ben

What is equality?

A thing that means I can prance around in a pink tutu whilst dancing to ABBA, without fear of being stereotyped or discriminated against. 

Yeah, pretty much the closet thing to impossible. 

*Side note; the post was to clarify my point. I don't wear a pink tutu. 

It's blue. 

Bruce

Equality usually means equal treatment but it's tricky to pin down, given people aren't equal in most explicable ways. Probably why it's an ideal to aspire to....

Peridot

What is equality? If equality is a man made human construct and we agree that nature doesn't make us all equal, is it right to force a man made idea onto human beings?

It has to do with acknowledging that everyone has the same rights, according to some. That we're all on the same level in a certain way and no one looks down upon anyone else nor do some have privileges which others don't and so on.

But some people have lost certain rights. Say someone embraces nihilism or someone makes victim after victim and is fine with that as they "just have a thing for sarcasm" or someone chooses to run an unfair business... People like that can no longer claim certain rights, officially, as you can't have your cake and eat it too; if you're a self-centered, mean, cold person at heart then you can't claim all of the same things that people with a desire to live in harmony with their fellow man can.

So this equality thing is something which comes naturally in circles where you have good/mature people. But it remains a struggle/a problem in general as a certain percentage of society consists of arrested developments and bad people who mostly just care about their own needs and who won't shy away from fulfilling them whilst infringing the rights of those around them.

Equality isn't a man made construct. It is just a concept that the mature and the good naturally embrace.

Smithy The Wizard

I think equality means equal rights for everyone, every human being.

And I am only going to say this once.

If you think someone should be imprisoned, harmed or killed because of their gender, race, sexuality or religion or all of those combined. There is something wrong with you. I don't care who you are. There is something wrong with you.

I shake my head in shame when I see someone judge someone else like that. That person is still a HUMAN BEING. Just like you.

HenryVIII

"All animals are equal but some animals are more equal than others"  (from George Orwell's 1945 novel Animal Farm)

Nesf

Perhaps it's not neccesarily equality that we have going on. Perhaps it's rather that we as a race would like to have equal treatment amongst peers.

We're not equal by any stretch. We're not the same. If we were the same we would be the same person, and even then it's debateable how much I'm not an individual. The closest thing we have going and would like to see is equal treatment. Not being treated like you're less. Or different up to a negative standard were you're treated as being "alien".

Well said, I second this. true quailty doesn't exist unless we want to make a bunch of clones. But even they wouldn't be exactly the same. We can only really talk about equal rights.

Shōnen Bat

Well said, I second this. true quailty doesn't exist unless we want to make a bunch of clones. But even they wouldn't be exactly the same. We can only really talk about equal rights.

This is true but if you could control their life experiences and make them identical then most of them would be the same person (functionally at least).

Equality of treatment is not equality of outcome. We should all be entitled to the same rights (certain caveats aside) and opportunities but there is no sensible way of ensuring the outcome is equal, that has to be (mostly) a personal responsibility.

I think equality means equal rights for everyone, every human being.

And I am only going to say this once.

If you think someone should be imprisoned, harmed or killed because of their gender, race, sexuality or religion or all of those combined. There is something wrong with you. I don't care who you are. There is something wrong with you.

I shake my head in shame when I see someone judge someone else like that. That person is still a HUMAN BEING. Just like you.

That must be a very depressing world view to hold. I don't know about you but I have met only a tiny number of people who do not believe paedophiles should be jailed for their sexuality. The same goes for those who practice bestiality, though to a lesser extent.

Peridot

That must be a very depressing world view to hold. I don't know about you but I have met only a tiny number of people who do not believe paedophiles should be jailed for their sexuality. The same goes for those who practice bestiality, though to a lesser extent.

Bestiality seems to be a bit of a taboo. I do feel that there are obvious limits but as long as it is clear that an animal is enjoying itself then what's the problem? No harm, no foul.