Mike_GX101

Gratitude For Gifts At Birthday And Christmas

Mike_GX101

How are you when showing gratitude when receiving gifts at times like your birthday and at Christmas?  Do you always say thank you for the gifts you get?  Or is it something you always mean to do but never get round to doing and want to do better this year?  And what about those guilt-invoking times when you receive something mega from a friend you only got a small token gesture for, or worst still nothing at all?!?  Do you pepper them with kisses flinging your arms round them and thank them to the ends of the Earth or do you disappear for a time while you come up with a plan to pay them back some how?  And what about those times someone buys you something you don't like?  Do you tell them you hate it?  Or do you smile appreciatively and thank them for such a marvellous gift?

Toran

I feel very uncomfortable when I get presents and saying thank you makes me feel very uncomfortable iI've no idea why. Its not like I'm ungreatful or don't want to show my gratitude it just feels very difficult to do. Its the same if I'm giving a present and if they are really pleased that makes me as equally uncomfortable . Maybe its just my own insecurity in another form, its hard to deal with though whatever I'm trying to do at the time.

Shōnen Bat

Present giving is always fraught with anxiety and uncertainty. I have no problem saying thank you for presents but I struggle to differentiate between presents that I really like and those I consider usless (like the socks and shower gel I seem to get every year from some people....). I would not tell them I didn't like the gift because the reason it is so awful is because we barely know each other but are forced into the situation by familial obligations. Since I thank everyone anyway I don't think I have any way to show if I genuinely think a gift is good.

Giving presents is a horrible little world all of its own.

Sofi

Yes, I really don't like opening presents in front of people who gave me it but I worry they expect me to react a certain way and I don't. Even if I genuinely really love the present, I don't usually react like that outwardly, I just think it in my head and don't show any real emotion, but I try to a lot and I always say "Thank you" and try to smile really big. If I hate it, I still have to do that anyway though because it's polite! I even have to do that with my mum who gives me something I don't like, but she can probably tell! Later, I can honest to her about it. I prefer to open my present alone which is what I usually do at Christmas... because I'm generally anti social at Christmas anyway! 
My birthday is coming up so I guess I'll have to go through this awkwardness. 

Yes, giving gifts is a whole other, equally awkward thing! Physically giving the gifts to the person... oh no. Awkward. 

Ala

I don't really like getting presents from people, I do find it uncomfortable. I think I have been given a gift once and not opened it at all, I instead waited until I got home.  I think that might have been seen as very rude. I have done similar things over the years too. Maybe it is from being unsure if I will like it and how I will react if I don't.

Nesf

Giving presents is a horrible little world all of its own.

Yes, a completely alien one with it's own rules and dynamics. Presents always make me feel extremely awkward, and I don't like opening them in front of others when they are hovering over me waiting for my reaction. If I like it, then it's great, I show it and they are happy. But if I don't like it I struggle to hide it, and I'm sure the giver can tell. I agonize for hours, and even months in advance, over what to buy people.  Christmas can be agony sometimes. Now I get people a lot of gift vouchers, and only buy something if the person has said they want it or I know they like something, chocolate or wine for example. I always say thank you when I receive a gift. I like Leonard from Big Bang Theory's way of explaining to Sheldon the importance of giving gifts, a "non-optional social obligation".

Toran

I think sheldon coopers great, i like his saying when hes told the world is full of old discarded socks, not in my world he says lol . Thats a good way of showing how it is when people dont understand and keep trying to get me to be different . Ive said it a few times lol but its perfectly true.

Kuribo [old account]

This makes me feel uncomfortable. I'm never sure how much enthusiasm I'm expected to show.

HalfFull

I don't really have a problem with this. At Christmas, we do each take turns to open our own presents, but for most presents I react neutrally but if I'm really happy with a present I smile very broadly which I do anytime that I'm really happy. I'm quite easy to please, but don't think anyone in my family would get anything I wouldn't like as they would probably know that I wouldn't like it. Perhaps my least favourite presents have been pocket electronic puzzles. Its not that I don't like them but I can never really work them out, and soon lose interest in them.

Ben

If I get a gift I don't like, I just smile and say thank you. 

Then Sunday, I'll take it to a car boot sale and sell it for a fiver to some old fossil.