aspiesw

Acting Neurotypical

Little Guy
On 7/29/2016 at 8:00 PM, Aspernaught1 said:

One day we will all meet up, equal in our our own solitude.

Actually I am going for our own planet!:D

Rainbowlife

I tried to act neurotypical all the time, I even pretended to get jokes with no luck. I also tried creating jokes but they were horrible. I even tried to be someone else, also backfired:(:(:(. Eventually I got really lonely and possibly depressed but when I was happy and determined apparently I was actually being myself and people liked that so acting neurotypical isn't always the best thing:rolleyes:

Aspernaught1

For an Aspsie to act neurotypical is like watching a bad actor on stage. How can a person reach their full potential if they are being like someone else. We as aspies etc are living in particularly difficult times in as much as the social focus is on celebrity and the wannabe celebrity mentality....everyone is trying and faking to get noticed. I don'y want to waste my time trying to fit into all that. 

PossibleAspie
On October 31, 2013 at 4:58 PM, aspiesw said:

I was watching this video on YouTube, where this girl with AS talks about how she acts Neurotypical to try and fit into society, and how much of a struggle it is trying to fit in with Neurotypical people and how tiring it is trying to act like someone else. It got me thinking, everyday of my life, I have to act 'Neurotypical' but ultimately fail at doing so, trying to understand jokes - sometimes pretending I do, trying to stay chatty and talk about uninteresting things, even trying to smile for extended periods of time sometimes, does anyone else try to act Neurotypical?

I've been able to "pass" for neurotypical at school because my middle school friends are extremely chatty, so I don't really have to do a whole lot of the talking, just be "on the sidelines", as they say. Back in elementary school, my friends were very nurturing and mostly liked the same things as I did, so I could just be "myself". 

Nobody suspected I might have Aspergers because I'm a girl, but when I was very young, I was tested for "classic" autism (this was well before the DSM grouped Aspergers, PDD-NOS, and classic autism into just plain ASD) and the tests came back negative. I learned most of what I know from years of imitating my peers and LOTS of social skills training, probably in an attempt to make me seem more "normal". By the time I reached middle school and became aware that I was different from other girls, I thought I was defective. That is, until I learned about Asperger's and it occurred to me that I could have it. 

So, that's my story, sorry I went on and on like that. 

Little Guy
On 8/25/2016 at 3:03 PM, Rainbowlife said:

I tried to act neurotypical all the time

Not knowing I was AS for the first 69 years was all the symptoms you describe. I was never successful for very long and so depressed alternating with anger all the time.

On 12/26/2016 at 6:47 PM, PossibleAspie said:

So, that's my story, sorry I went on and on like that. 

Nothing to be sorry about. You are developing coping mechanisms. It could help to find support groups in your community/school.

Athkaraye
On 31/10/2013 at 4:17 PM, Pinky and his brain said:

I did it a lot when I was younger. Between the age of 16 and 25, I was actually having a private and a public personality. As soon as somebody came close, I would automatically switch to my public "me".

Sometimes the barrier between those personallyties was so strong, that I could not remember information that was belonging to the private personality, when somebody was near me. That sometimes created some trouble.

I can relate to this so much!!

i tried the camouflaging thing for most of my childhood and I thought I had it perfect. But then o found out how people saw me and I realised I actually was still acting wierd. The only thing I think I accomplished was to become vaguely unnoticed/invisible (at times) and not be labelled as 'retarded' as some other guys in my year were. 

And it wasn't even worth it so...

Then once when I was 'away' for about 4 months, I acted totally me, and it's actually really nice to just be yourself. And everyone liked me! (Kinda). And they all respected my boundaries because I was willing to show them what they were. And all the energy saved from not constantly pretending was used to build lasting friendships (rather than lasting solitude?). 

StormCrow

I've gotten better at "blending" in to where ever i am/go 

It's like acting in a play for me. 

when i get home by myself I can go back to being my "real" self"