aspiesw

Acting Neurotypical

Saveyourscissors

Once I told someone I have Asperger's and explained that it is a mild form of autism, and his reply was "but you're intelligent!"

When I was at school, they told me and my parents that I was to intelligent to have anything 'wrong' me and therefore couldn't support me.

Thanks Q.E now I'm left with out all those A and A* I was predicted!!

Nesf

When I was at school, they told me and my parents that I was to intelligent to have anything 'wrong' me and therefore couldn't support me.

Thanks Q.E now I'm left with out all those A and A* I was predicted!!

When I was at school some of the teachers thought I was slow, and another teacher said she thought I was a bit autistic. When my parents heard that they were horrified - "but she's too intelligent to be autistic!" I went on to get 'O' levels and 'A' levels. What's Q.E?

Saveyourscissors

When I was at school some of the teachers thought I was slow, and another teacher said she thought I was a bit autistic. When my parents heard that they were horrified - "but she's too intelligent to be autistic!" I went on to get 'O' levels and 'A' levels. What's Q.E?

Q.E was the school. I ended up with no qualifications  :angry:  as ended up out of school!

Toran

If a child is in mainstream school in my opinion without help things wont work out as you had hoped. I ended up with nothing because i was put in the slow learners and basically forgotten about. You can now do whatever you feel like doing taking courses or training with the correct methods. School days was out of your control but now isnt dont think of school days they were lost on a lot of people because of how they treated us.

Saveyourscissors

If a child is in mainstream school in my opinion without help things wont work out as you had hoped. I ended up with nothing because i was put in the slow learners and basically forgotten about. You can now do whatever you feel like doing taking courses or training with the correct methods. School days was out of your control but now isnt dont think of school days they were lost on a lot of people because of how they treated us.

Sorry to hear that! Also I agree with the mainstream thing, but its hard too when you don't want to stand out too much! I can't afford to go back to college now though! I did how ever go before and get my maths and english :)

Toran

Thats true its hard not to stand out in mainstream school for all the wrong reasons at least in my case. Glad to hear you got those qualifications though as your still starting out in life. At 47 im too set in my ways now to change that much but im quite happy with life now in relation to how i am.

Saveyourscissors

Yeah I stood out but I wish I didn't! Ah they aren't much use anyway! I guess you're right though! :) I'm 20 and I'm set in my ways already too! oh dear :P

Babadakad

When I was young I always tried to act ''normal'' and copy those around me to not be bullied or constantly stared at because I wasn't behaving like I should. By now I really don't care anymore. I quite like standing out, being different from everyone else and I would not have it any other way. If people dislike me then they're free to do so.

Edited by Babadakad

Clowkero

I just grew out of it, I act and say things unconsciously, But if i have to deal with something, when i have "think" It´s really overwhelming. It simply would take around 15 minutes to make a simple decision like, "Should i help that person?", or "Do i really want to go?", And either i end answering without being sure, trying to help...but i don´t know how and it turns worse. T▲T;

Or i simply refuse (0w0)=

DominikaCupcake

For 19 years i had no idea that i have Aspergers, so i didn't act in normal situations when i had to talk with friends or other people close to me, but was just natural the way i am and people found me weird. After i discovered who i really am, i still wasn't acting. Being Asperger is just who i am and i accept it. I can socialize to some degree and like to have a talk with friends, but not too often. One/two times during one school day is enough for me or else i get overwhelmed. The only situations when i act neurotypical is things like wedding and this kind of meetings when there's a lot of people around me and they expect me to be social while what i really want to do is go home and read a book. So i try to do what i can to hide what i am really thinking and be like "Hey, what a nice evening" or "You look beautiful today".

I find that since being aware of having AS i've been examining and analysing my behaviour a lot more to see how Aspie it is, and in the process made myself even more Aspie... not good, must stop.

I do the same thing and i think that it makes me seem more aspie than i actually am. Also i analyse my childhood and past years and see that the things i used to do had a lot to do with my Asperger like the fact that i was drawing labyrinths every single day when i was a kid. Back then i didn't even think that it was weird in any way.