aspiesw

What Helps Calm You Down?

kara2689

Looking at the christmas decorations in a darkened room thats very relaxing and calming takes away some of the stress.

Yes it is!! Makes the rest of the winter sad.

When the decorations are put awaythat is

Toran

Yes it is!! Makes the rest of the winter sad.When the decorations are put awaythat is

I agree there when the decorations are coming down there is a negative feeling around that takes awhile to forget as you move on to other things.

• Helpful 1

Frankie

I'm struggling to calm justnow, my chips have been p****d on & in an odd mood I not felt for ages :(

StormCrow

go out into the woods, Tai Chi Chuan, or video games.

Xmas

go out into the woods, Tai Chi Chuan, or video games.

I went to the woods because I want to live deliberately, to front the only essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.

Henry David Thoreau.

MrGrey

It takes days.  I disconnect myself from everything and just play some good TV-Show (anime usually) episode after episode.  Then sleep, or try to, till I succeed (a few more days).  And when I wake up, I'm back to be myself again.

arvut

Music...

Mostly uplifting trance (from 1999 to mid 00's). I think that whatever music you got into when you were in you mid teens will always stay as the favourite genre.

Jazz (the oldschool stuff from the 30's), thelonious monk n such, can be very neat. The homeland series awoke my interest for all that.

Certain classical masterpieces by Brahms, Chopin, Dvorak (which is both my favourite keyboard layout and classical composer of all time).

But as Babadakad mentioned, sports is a perfect mindsoothener too. Whenever its martial arts, cycling, running or any other physical activity that demand a certain focus to master.

Anything that takes my mind to a special place really. Heck, it can even be the simple but yet undeniable desire to stare at a female body for awhile.

Ultimately I'd say "finding perfection" is the thing that does the little trick of calming you down. For me perfection is nature, nature as in the world around us, seen by a scientists perspective.

Rich07

Generally music calms me down, but reading a book or playing a video game are also good distractions which help me calm down.

Toran

Knowing the truth to begin with not have people telling you lies or saying nothing. If we were told the facts as they happen there would be less need for looking for ways to calm yourself down.

Caroline

When I'm really stressed and I'm at home, I'll go to the bathroom. There is a small electric heater: the repetitive noise of it and the warm air calm me down. I'd stay the whole day in front of it...

Arthur

Film soundracks and music.

• Helpful 1

awesomeliza

My Rubik's cube and techno/trance/electronic music.

• Helpful 1

Auletes

my newest discovery, but probably only working if I'm very disturbed "inside" me and not angry:

go to bed under my blanket and put my hands over my eyes and put a finger in each ear and enjoy the darkness and silence.

otherwise music, either listening or playing and I'm mainly into classical music, knitting, go for a walk

but certainly not driving, that's most upsetting

• Helpful 2

brookeloveslotr

Praying, petting my Yorkie, listening to music.

• Helpful 1

legsbluetrain

Cats,watching trains and emergency vehicles.Sometimes listening to regional Mexican banda music.

Edited by legsbluetrain
  • Helpful 1

Echo

My partner

Dogs/cats

Music/Films/Computer games 

A bath

A darkened silent room and a heavy blanket (alone time)

• Helpful 1

aspiesw

I'm trying blutac at the moment, but nothing makes me more calm than being on a bus or train, which I think is really weird

Edited by aspiesw

peacefulwarrior

For me those are photography, music, sunny weather, meditation.

• Helpful 1

jenny.wren76

playing solitaire, putting on Studio Ghibli movies- mostly My Neighbor Totoro, rocking a lot, wearing my orange hoodie, having my husband or kids hug me really tight, if I'm having a really bad time my husband will just lie on top of me on the sofa- I should probably just get a weighted blanket :), putting on The Blue Planet with David Attenborough narrating, doing something tedious and or repetitive.

• Helpful 1

Ala

Other than finding distractions, listening to my boyfriends heartbeat really calms me down.

Edited by AJU

greenerthanyou

TV and movies, but especially tv. I'll watch the following:

the golden girls

Frasier

Etc

Basically, funny shows that I used to watch when I was a kid/teen that I still find funny.

In general though, watching anything funny works. I also like watching British murder mysteries like Poirot, Miss Marple, etc.

I forgot: bike rides and sitting by the water (a super large lake where I can't see the end or the ocean)

• Helpful 1

brookeloveslotr

TV and movies, but especially tv. I'll watch the following:

the golden girls

Frasier

Etc

Basically, funny shows that I used to watch when I was a kid/teen that I still find funny.

In general though, watching anything funny works. I also like watching British murder mysteries like Poirot, Miss Marple, etc.I forgot: bike rides and sitting by the water (a super large lake where I can't see the end or the ocean)

I also like funny shows that I watched as a kid/teen. Mind you, I still go to Disney Channel and Nick shows because I love how the humor can make me laugh without it delving into sex jokes like most adult comedies do. I really tried to get into Rules of Engagement, but the constant jokes of sex threw me off. It's just not my cup of tea. I have nothing against sex in general, I just don't think it's needed so much for comedy. Plus I still tend to like Disney Channel music (most of it, anyway) because I like the meaningful lyrics.
  • Helpful 1

221BTardisMockingJay

If I'm angry, it's listening to music, talking out all of mean things I wanted to say and repeatedly rehashing whatever made me mad, until I've gotten it out of my system

and angry cleaning my room or playing a violent video game.

if I'm stressed out, overwhelmed or just really edgy, it's a very soothing smells, like scented candles or those wall plug-ins, music and sometimes tugging at my hair and/or writing or going on pinterest.

I also should note that I don't hurt myself when I pull on my hair, I don't cause myself pain or ripe it out or anything.

Edited by 221BTardisMockingJay

221BTardisMockingJay

I agree there when the decorations are coming down there is a negative feeling around that takes awhile to forget as you move on to other things.

It's March and I still have my Christmas Tree up... I still don't want to take it down.

• Helpful 1