aspiesw

What Helps Calm You Down?

Rocco

Nature, a female voice, water, music, herb.

Little Pink Coupe

After a hard day out in the social world, it usually helps if I can come back to my room, turn all the lights off, put my phone on silent, get into bed and wrap myself up in my blankets with all my plushies and just crash for a few hours. :) Listening to music and looking at all the images related to my special interests I have saved in my laptop helps, too. 

DominikaCupcake

Meditation really helps, but i still think that meltdown helps best because i get rid off of the most of my negative emotions during meltdown. But meltdown aren't socially acceptable.

• Helpful 2

Sherbert

I always listen to music whenever I can but it has to be through headphones, because then, I feel like I am in my own world. I guess that makes it my 'happy place'?

Xenolith

Periodic motion is the ultimate relaxant for me, for some reason. If I'm stressed, I just retreat into my head and think of a sine wave or a pendulum. I have no idea why this is so therapeutic, but it works brilliantly. 

epiphanycakes

I ether play and rpg like oblivion  the music always makes me sleepy , or if im annoyed or pissed of a fps or soundtracks of films and games. but sometimes a good walk at night when its raining or early in the morning helps. :)

• Helpful 1

Joshua2811

what makes me calm

is my punching bag and listening to music but it was trampoline which always kept me calm

• Helpful 1

dandelion

Daydream to forget and my plaid silk.... hm... good... ^_^

• Helpful 1

Alla

Listening to the woods at night, and stargazing. 

• Helpful 2

NatalieF

Knitting. Playing with blu-tac. Playing World of Warcraft or DiabloIII on my mac. Listening to podcasts while knitting. Sleeping with earplugs in under enough of a weight of duvets and blankets to feel secure and warm whilst also not feeling too hot.

I ether play and rpg like oblivion  the music always makes me sleepy , or if im annoyed or pissed of a fps or soundtracks of films and games. but sometimes a good walk at night when its raining or early in the morning helps. :)

I really miss being able to go out walking at night. I have multiple sclerosis and with my particular subset of symptoms that is no longer practical or safe. Instead I tend to go walking/flying in World of Warcraft which has such beautiful scenery.

PandaPrincess

Swinging on the porch swing and listening to my i-pod.

• Helpful 1

Tylermc

Listing too the waves at the beach, music video games drawing my fave tv show watching my fave soccer team play on tv and also watching some willow hope videos my dog and watching my fave tv show and movie on netflix as well

And speding time with my mum and dad and also I like too workout and also watch my fave soccer team play on tv Manchester United

• Helpful 3

InsomniaDreams

I've always suffered with my nerves. The chord was wrapped around my neck when I was born, plus my mother is a nervous person too. Also I was the first born so my parents fretted over everything. To be honest I don't think I'm ever truly calm. My body is so used to being tense. My jaw for example is always shut tense. My mind is so used to being busy. If it wasn't for music I wouldn't be here. It doesn't relax me but it takes my mind off to better places.

• Helpful 1

Breadbox

My cat and tea. (:

• Helpful 1

brookeloveslotr

I don't know if they necessarily calm me down, but I take more of a liking to fictional characters than NT people (I still love my family, I just mean people who cause all kinds of problems or who are arrogant.) I don't know why, but when a fictional character does it , it balances out, fictional characters just seem to be more cool and have more class. This may be an aspie trait, but.... there you go.

• Helpful 1

The Id

Old things calm me down. I spend many hours tinkering with old cars I buy as junk piles and fix up. Sometimes I leave clothes inside my car so they have that 'old car' smell and that makes me happy when I'm in the middle of something stressful.

furoshiki

Walking for miles, usually at night. Looking through the post here it looks like excercise of some sort, walking, dance etc is beneficial. I find it helps with depression too. Having arguments in my head with people I couldn't or didn't want to with in 'real life' helps too.

• Helpful 1

:::A::different::kind:::

the beach calms me down , i dont live near it but sounds of the waves crashing agasint the shore. when its night time i often look up at the stars and that calms me down #naturegeek :L but MUSIC is basically my therapy!!!!!!!

• Helpful 1

Whoknows

Nature, a female voice, water, music, herb.

Like this?

Lukeage

I guess a few things. It's situational.

I have a penguin. I hate to admit it but I find it hard to sleep without. 

Then while driving... chewing gum, music. 

When none of the above... cold, filtered or bottled (but not tap) water and this stuff: 002955.jpg

Coffee can be a mood lifter sometimes. 

That's about it. 

(deleted)

I don't generally like being too calm as it makes my brain feel empty but if I do need to calm down a bit then I find a bit of simple programming works sometimes. Sometimes it's more that I need to clear my head of thoughts and then typing what I think is helpful (I don't like writing things). I have gone through phases where I used to play games like Pacman and Tetris before going to bed as I find those very relaxing.

Tylermc

What helps calm me down music my dog the rainy mood app video games watching my fave movie or tv show and also watching my fave football team play Manchester United going too the seaside or taking pictures drawing and painting

HoleInTheEarth

I hope this is okay to post.

I listen to a lot of ambient when out and about outside, and when I'm stressed, this always goes on, here is an example of what keeps me calm in an unbearable situation or when I feel I'm about to breakdown.

(WARNING: You may find this annoying. It has a tone that plays every so often, mostly in the beginning. I'm told it helps me relax because it is a repetitive tone I enjoy the sound of.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4jkDNjw5Bw

BirdSong

Michael Leunig helps me sometimes, after I have calmed down

Concoction.jpg

• Helpful 2

(deleted)

Walking for miles, usually at night. Looking through the post here it looks like excercise of some sort, walking, dance etc is beneficial. I find it helps with depression too. Having arguments in my head with people I couldn't or didn't want to with in 'real life' helps too.

I don't enjoy walking but I often think that I would enjoy walking if I could do it by myself early in the morning as I please. I have done that a few times before and it gives you a sense of freedom and carefreeness. I like that, but I don't get the chance to do it very often unfortunately...

Also I used to sometimes imagine arguments in my head at night, particularly when I had had an argument with the parents then I would imagine them arguing with each other instead LOL!!!

I also like typing about things that are upsetting me. I helps me to clear my thoughts sometimes, but only if I remember to put them all down. Otherwise I'm continually running backwards and forwards to and from the computer for the next three days as I remember other things that I wanted to say. I used to try and structure my writing but that made it difficult to add in things afterwards as I remembered them so instead I tend to just type as I think these days. I can type quite quickly actually so I like to type as I think. I also like to record how I feel at influential times in my life, but then I can sometimes get more worked up because I'm worried that I have not conveyed how I am feeling well enough (I am not that good at descriptive writing by the way - at least I don't think that I am...).