aspiesw

What Helps Calm You Down?

The Id

Old things calm me down. I spend many hours tinkering with old cars I buy as junk piles and fix up. Sometimes I leave clothes inside my car so they have that 'old car' smell and that makes me happy when I'm in the middle of something stressful.

furoshiki

Walking for miles, usually at night. Looking through the post here it looks like excercise of some sort, walking, dance etc is beneficial. I find it helps with depression too. Having arguments in my head with people I couldn't or didn't want to with in 'real life' helps too.

:::A::different::kind:::

the beach calms me down , i dont live near it but sounds of the waves crashing agasint the shore. when its night time i often look up at the stars and that calms me down #naturegeek :L but MUSIC is basically my therapy!!!!!!!

Whoknows

Nature, a female voice, water, music, herb.

Like this?

Lukeage

I guess a few things. It's situational.

I have a penguin. I hate to admit it but I find it hard to sleep without. 

Then while driving... chewing gum, music. 

When none of the above... cold, filtered or bottled (but not tap) water and this stuff: 002955.jpg

Coffee can be a mood lifter sometimes. 

That's about it. 

(deleted)

I don't generally like being too calm as it makes my brain feel empty but if I do need to calm down a bit then I find a bit of simple programming works sometimes. Sometimes it's more that I need to clear my head of thoughts and then typing what I think is helpful (I don't like writing things). I have gone through phases where I used to play games like Pacman and Tetris before going to bed as I find those very relaxing.

Tylermc

What helps calm me down music my dog the rainy mood app video games watching my fave movie or tv show and also watching my fave football team play Manchester United going too the seaside or taking pictures drawing and painting

HoleInTheEarth

I hope this is okay to post.

I listen to a lot of ambient when out and about outside, and when I'm stressed, this always goes on, here is an example of what keeps me calm in an unbearable situation or when I feel I'm about to breakdown.

(WARNING: You may find this annoying. It has a tone that plays every so often, mostly in the beginning. I'm told it helps me relax because it is a repetitive tone I enjoy the sound of.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4jkDNjw5Bw

BirdSong

Michael Leunig helps me sometimes, after I have calmed down

Concoction.jpg

(deleted)

Walking for miles, usually at night. Looking through the post here it looks like excercise of some sort, walking, dance etc is beneficial. I find it helps with depression too. Having arguments in my head with people I couldn't or didn't want to with in 'real life' helps too.

I don't enjoy walking but I often think that I would enjoy walking if I could do it by myself early in the morning as I please. I have done that a few times before and it gives you a sense of freedom and carefreeness. I like that, but I don't get the chance to do it very often unfortunately...

Also I used to sometimes imagine arguments in my head at night, particularly when I had had an argument with the parents then I would imagine them arguing with each other instead LOL!!!

I also like typing about things that are upsetting me. I helps me to clear my thoughts sometimes, but only if I remember to put them all down. Otherwise I'm continually running backwards and forwards to and from the computer for the next three days as I remember other things that I wanted to say. I used to try and structure my writing but that made it difficult to add in things afterwards as I remembered them so instead I tend to just type as I think these days. I can type quite quickly actually so I like to type as I think. I also like to record how I feel at influential times in my life, but then I can sometimes get more worked up because I'm worried that I have not conveyed how I am feeling well enough (I am not that good at descriptive writing by the way - at least I don't think that I am...).