aspiesw

What Helps Calm You Down?

PandaPrincess

Listening to music and playing video games always helps me.  

Michael-D

I feel anxious most of the time,  I'm starting to wonder if I also have an over active thyroid.   A good brisk walk is good for the anxiety, but to calm me down a walking in the countryside with a pleasant view.  A good film or book that absorbs me, an off season holiday by the sea, and music.  I'm starting to appreciate some classical music, it seems to lift me and take me on a journey.

artfull dodger

I will run my large scale model trains, or I might go hop on my restored old garden tractor and cut the lawn.  Either are relaxing and calming for me.  If neither are available to me, I might go for a drive in the country, in the car during the winter, but summer time I will be on my motorcycle.  The wind, sound of the bike(Honda Rebel 250) are soothing to me.  There is no back or side seat driver bitching about my driving.  Both of my main hobby/obsession can be as social as I want or completely solitary, which is wonderfull!     dodger

StormCrow

I'm listening to music most of time, even when I'm playing video games. It's helpful, and my main tool to combat anxiety. 

I always have iTunes or Pandora on (I really don't like those same ads replaying though). I switch my stations once in a while, now I'm listen to the Didgeridoo station and sometimes the monastic chanting.

Northern Lass

Listening to spotify or playing ps4

Mihaela

Walking in quiet, wild places.  Playing music (90% Romanian).  Reading.  Gardens & parks.  Animals.

smartpanda12

Listening to my music, Mostly Imagine Dragons because there's something for me about hearing Dan Reynolds voice that calms me down, it just soothes me and make me feel like he's right there with me comforting me. (damn I miss him.... :( )

Summer

My weighted blanket, bonus points if I can curl up with it somewhere that feels really safe to me.  
Petting and/or holding my dogs.

Being held by my fiance.  

Rocking.  

Squeezing and mooshing kinetic sand.

Sometimes playing simple games on my phone, if I can focus enough.

aspiesw

I had a very difficult week at work last week. I went on one of my favourite trains and it instantly calmed me down and relaxed me

KatC

For me, there isn't anything that will work 100% to calm me down, especially from a meltdown or anxiety when it gets past a certain point, not even anxiety medications - they only really tone down the anxiety; I would have to take a lot of them to completely get rid of it. But, besides medication there are some things that are helpful (I'm not always very good at sticking to these, instead of doing stupid/impulsive things during anxiety/meltdown/stress, though, but they do help when I actually remember to do them.]

• listening to music
  • turning off bright lights/keeping curtains shut, if its light outside
  • staying away from other people as much as possible
  • pacing (not sure if this really helps that much or not, I just tend to pace a lot, and for long periods of time, when anxious, overwhelmed, in sensory overload, etc.)
  • avoiding caffeine for a while (not easy for me, though)
  • being around pets (sometimes they make it worse though, if they have too much energy)
  • cutting/dying my hair, or changing my appearance in some other way, is a good distraction sometimes.
  • also, finding something to distract myself (if I can focus on them well enough) - reading, watching a movie/TV, writing/drawing/etc, using internet or phone as distraction, looking up information on favorite topics/interests and typing up notes on it, going for a walk, etc.) They don't work permanently though, and needing constant distractions all the time gets annoying and tiring after a while, and makes things worse in a way, for myself at least. 
  • staying awake at night/sleeping during day, whenever I can (I have less anxiety and more energy this way, and can focus better - its easier, and doesn't feel as rushed, to try to get projects/work done at night. )
  • organizing/going through old notebooks, photos, drawings, etc. (sometimes - usually too tired to do this).