aspiesw

What Helps Calm You Down?

SeanS

Exercise works best for me. But I have to work out really hard. Something like a heavy weights session, especially olympic lifts. Lately running really fast through the rocks by the sea near where I live has been working has been working really well. Brazilian JuJitsu used to be my therapy, but I have two hernias that need to be operated on.

I'm lucky enough that I can drove from work for lunch every day, if I'm feeling 'peopled out' from work I do maths problems on Khan Academy. If I'm stressed out at work and can't escape I make great big, complicated and pointless spreadsheets in Microsoft Excel. If I need to get out of the office I sweep the store room or count things or put things away (I work in an electrical wholesale store so we have lots of different products that need counting or having their shelves restocked).

Sometimes at the end of a hard day at work I just like to play with my cat. He's always happy to see me and is the best therapist I've met :D

aspiesw

After a couple of tough days at work, on my day off on Thursday, I went to Nottingham>Worksop>Sheffield, in that order, to take photos of trains, ride on trains etc - my special interest. I came back to work on Friday feeling like a new person. I talk about the effects doing my special interest has on me, but I can never fully believe how doing my special interest "resets me" (if you like), basically recharges my batteries

Ben

I'm now becoming VERY good at meditation. I just see the hustle and bustle of people as a flowing stream of water now. Even in the midst of chaos, I'm fully aware of my breathing, my body as a whole, and the present moment. 

AutismUnrestricted

Music always helps, scented candles in a dark room when im overstimulated. Recently i've also discovered repetitive chanting of mantras and that makes me feel very grounded and helps me calm down. After about 15 minutes of chanting and hearing I feel relaxed and happy.

Edited by AutismUnrestricted

veearrell

Usually at least once a day, my brain gets overstimulated and feels like every single neuron is firing at once. When that happens, I go someplace quiet and lie down to allow my brain to shut down and "reboot" as it were. Depending on how overstimulated I'm feeling it could lake as little as ten minutes or as long as an hour.

Loke

Watching cartoons is usually my go-to calming method. By now I've watched all my favorite shows at least a dozen times, haha.

veearrell

Watching cartoons is usually my go-to calming method. By now I've watched all my favorite shows at least a dozen times, haha.

Which ones?

I watch a lot of cartoons too and my hard drive is literally full of shows (like seriously, I have over a terabyte of stuff) ranging from My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic to South Park and everything in between. Some of my favorites are Charlie Brown, Garfield, the DCAU, As Told By Ginger, Gummi Bears, Daria and Pokemon.

Bartowski

I like to listen to music, I used to have old stereo headphones that applied a slight amount of pressure to my head and it felt good and would help me relax and calm me down during my break at work after interacting with people. They broke so now I have new ones that add pressure, but not as much, but the audio is good lol.

annalise_fox_ford

the things that calm me down are ;

tight hugs 

stroking my dog 

music 

repeating words over and over ( i only ever do this when i am on my own)

clenching and relaxing my fists 

watching youtube videos about my special interests 

looking at pictures and remembering what happened that day 

Fallon

Stimming with music or reading fanfiction

Stimming with music or reading fanfiction