Kuribo [old account]

School: The Root Of Conformity

Kuribo [old account]

It frustrates me when people ask why so many people in society “follow the herd” rather than thinking for themselves when the answer is so glaringly obvious:

Our education systems teach people from a young age that this is the correct way to live their lives.

From a very young age, people are told that they are “good” for blindly obeying orders.Now, of course children need guidance, as they lack both the life experience and mental development to make certain decisions wisely. However, my problem is with authority figures such as teachers who give orders for the sake of making young people conform to some totally illogical and meaningless standard that does nothing but make the individual issuing the orders feel powerful or significant.

I’ve seen children punished for questioning the actions of their teachers, taught that fearing authority figures and feeling inferior to others, along with obeying nonsensical rules with no valid reason to exist, are all positive things. I noticed this happening throughout my time in primary school. Moving on to high school…

By then, the damage is done. Anyone who is differs from the majority is rejected. Regardless of whether the difference is harmless or even inherently positive, it is more often than not treated with hostility, mockery and rejection. As a result, it is often the kindest of people who suffer most of all in school.

In classes, I’ve noticed that if a question is asked of a group of people, the majority will mindlessly choose one answer simply because everyone else has, and then proceed to laugh at anyone who chooses a different answer in spite of the fact that they have no idea whether or not they are correct. If told that they’re wrong, they’ll laugh together, because apparently being wrong is perfectly fine if those around you are also wrong. It really is pathetic.

It’s pretty damn obvious where this intense pressure to conform comes from. I feel fortunate to have become aware of the psychological poison I’ve been subjected to at such an early stage in life. Many only realise years after they’ve left school. Many never do at all.

At the moment, this is the main reason why I never want to have a child. I simply wouldn’t want to subject them to a society that enforces mindless conformity from a young age.

Edited by Kuribo

Kuribo [old account]

Sorry, the opening post was incomplete when I posted the thread. 

What school do you go to?

Well, my issue is more with the entire education system than the specific schools I've been to. Other schools are significantly worse than mine.

I don't want to post that info on a public forum, but I'll PM you.

Spiderman0_2

The education system for the most part (up to university anyway) is really not designed to produce people who question the status quo (I don't mean the band :P ).

It is really designed to produce economically active little drones.

Sofi

I strongly disagree with conformity in life in general but I didn't exactly have that at my school. People should do whatever they want. 

'Status Quo' always reminds me of the High School Musical song: NO! NO NO! STICK TO THE STATUS QUO! Troy and Gabriella will show you that you don't need to stick to the status quo!

Kuribo [old account]

I strongly disagree with conformity in life in general but I didn't exactly have that at my school. People should do whatever they want.

This is one of the positives of not attending a mainstream school. Sometimes, I think conformity is actually a bigger focus than learning.

tern

A way the trap is designed to continue beyond school, is through the school friends peer group and feeling you only look cool if you keep them. But the culture that the institution they were herded together into has created among them is intolerant unthinking sneery ribald and mob minded. A circle you can't be the only one to break, and expect still to belong among them, even after you are grown up and out of school. Which will keep tying you to the narrow line of normality.

Anyone with any sense leaves their school peer group far behind and has no further interest in them.

Have you come across a more nonsense rule than my school's not allowing us to use the building's only indoor staircase, while teachers and sixth form were allowed to use it? and the detour we were made to take instead included a slimy iron fire escape, a narrow cramped busy top corridor, and sometimes disruptively through another classroom? And if, to avoid the latter, sometimes they let us use the top half of the staircase, we were still not allowed to use the lower half and shouted at if we tried even if we were going to the classroom right at the staircase's foot.

http://www.libed.org.uk/index.php/reviews/178-articles/414-high-learning-potential

Sofi

This is one of the positives of not attending a mainstream school. Sometimes, I think conformity is actually a bigger focus than learning.

Yes, maybe so. They knew we are different and couldn't expect the same things, however there was also the feeling from the teachers trying very hard to make us act neurotypical and completely 'normal', which was so unrealistic. There's a line between helping to act appropriately and behave okay but to make us into something we are not. It is sometimes like trying to drill out the Autism, which isn't possible.

So, maybe special schools have their own kind of conformity but it'll just never happen! 

Kuribo [old account]

A way the trap is designed to continue beyond school, is through the school friends peer group and feeling you only look cool if you keep them. But the culture that the institution they were herded together into has created among them is intolerant unthinking sneery ribald and mob minded. A circle you can't be the only one to break, and expect still to belong among them, even after you are grown up and out of school. Which will keep tying you to the narrow line of normality.

Anyone with any sense leaves their school peer group far behind and has no further interest in them.

Agreed.

I only have a few casual friends at school, all of whom are also on the Autism spectrum, and we don't talk other than when we have something important to say, so this isn't really an issue for me.

Have you come across a more nonsense rule than my school's not allowing us to use the building's only indoor staircase, while teachers and sixth form were allowed to use it? and the detour we were made to take instead included a slimy iron fire escape, a narrow cramped busy top corridor, and sometimes disruptively through another classroom? And if, to avoid the latter, sometimes they let us use the top half of the staircase, we were still not allowed to use the lower half and shouted at if we tried even if we were going to the classroom right at the staircase's foot.

http://www.libed.org.uk/index.php/reviews/178-articles/414-high-learning-potential

Firstly, thank you for posting the link. I had a look around and that site looks very interesting. :)

As for the rule, it is totally ridiculous, yes. There are rules at my school which are similar, but none as as severe as the one you describe. I'm sorry that you had such a bad time in school. Mine seems rather mild in comparison.  :blink:

Here are a few other totally meaningless rules I've come across, some enforced school-wide, others by specific teachers only:

Coloured jackets, and all scarves, hats and gloves must be taken off upon entry to the building. Black jackets must be unzipped at 8.35am and taken off at 8.40am. 

No reason was ever given for this or the bizarre times at which certain actions take place.

If you plan to eat or drink anything on your way home, wait until you are off of school grounds before you take it out of your bag.

Come on, what possible reason could there be for this other than to enforce conformity?

There are over 100 totally identical dictionaries in the room. Everyone must use only a dictionary marked with a specific number.

It could be argued that this is to prevent damage, but so many people use them in one day, and who'd have the time to check them all.

"I WILL NOT ALLOW COUGHING OR SNEEZING IN MY CLASSROOM! COUGHING AND SNEEZING ARE SIGNS OF IMMATURITY!"

So when the amount of control you already have isn't enough for you, you attempt rewrite reality? Sad ... Just very, very sad.

Someone plays in a football game they've been training hard for, for MONTHS. They have no time to complete homework. They are told to straighten out their priorities.

So, someone should let their friends down and abandon something they trained for over a period of months due to your impatience? Fuck. Off.

"Even if you are too ill or injured to participate in PE, you must bring equipment and get changed anyway."

Yes, this was a genuine rule made by one psychotic, dictatorial PE teacher. He once forced someone with a broken leg to get changed, only to sit there watching everyone else for an hour. 

Once we are ready to leave PE, we can't just go home. Instead, we have to stand around for up to ten minutes waiting for a bell to ring.

This is ridiculous. Remind me, what educational value is there to this policy? If someone wishes to use their phone at this point, they're shouted at. When I inquired as to why, the teacher's rude, blunt response was "Look, this still counts as still class time. Deal with it." An impeccable display of logic and reason right there. The profound implications this would have upon my education and welfare are totally clear to me now. 

End of rant. I didn't originally intend for that to go on so long.  :unsure:

Yes, maybe so. They knew we are different and couldn't expect the same things, however there was also the feeling from the teachers trying very hard to make us act neurotypical and completely 'normal', which was so unrealistic. There's a line between helping to act appropriately and behave okay but to make us into something we are not. It is sometimes like trying to drill out the Autism, which isn't possible.

So, maybe special schools have their own kind of conformity but it'll just never happen!

That sounds just as bad as the crap that goes on in mainstream schools. Why can't people simply be left to be themselves? :(

Whoknows

Why can't you have children and teach them yourself or with the help of a personal teacher?