aspiesw

Symptoms Of Depression

aspiesw

I think I may be depressed, what are some symptoms of depression?

Edited by aspiesw

King_oni

Perhaps it would be better to describe how you feel, rather than do a checkbox type of method to see if you qualify for depression and go on and about how you qualify to call yourself depressed.

Are you feeling down? Loss of appetite? Trouble sleeping? Don't enjoy thing you did enjoy before? 

And were these things, amongst others not an issue before? I mean, some people have half of the symptoms a doctor will look into already going on over other issues. Some people sleep terrible even without any depressive episode going on.

Sofi

If you think you are depressed, you should really go and speak to your doctor about it, because it is different for everyone, but some of the main symptoms are: http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Depression/Pages/Symptoms.aspx

I have depression, I have antidepressants now. For it to be an issue, it stops you living your life normally every day. Also, the physical symptoms of it are nearly as bad sometimes - no energy. It can come and go too. 

Ben

Antidepressants... Oh boy, let's not go there with my opinions on those things. But let's not explore that route yet if you can help it. 

When I was severely depressed, I would wake in the morning feeling worthless, helpless and as the day progressed and impending sense of doom came over and dominated me. Night time was worse. - All I had was me and my erratic thoughts. I slept long hours, I felt tired even after twelve hours of deep sleep. 

I would be awake most nights until about six or seven in the morning and would sleep right through until the evening. Everything was dark and miserable in my mind I saw no light at the end of the tunnel. 

I've been done in the past for suggesting things, but what I'm about to suggest is something to try before you bang on the doctors door for antidepressants; and that is high dose Niacin. It's completely natural and a member of B vitamin family and was the very thing that I believe saved me. Talk with your doctor about it if you have to. - But I've tried it on many people and it's worked wonders on them. It stopped my father drinking and it's now helping other members of my family get better. 

Sorry, I couldn't leave this page without mentioning one of the most wonderful substances on earth. It's cheap, highly effective and there hasn't been an overdose related death recorded in over thirty years. - Can't be said about prescription medicine.

A thing you can start doing if you think you are depressed is to try and keep your serotonin levels in check. Lower the amount of sugar you consume, drop alcohol, illegal substances; (Even legal in some cases) and if you are a person who drinks coffee or Rockstar then consider dropping those to. - Caffeine can be problematic and for me - and someone else I know on here; it provokes depression and anxiety significantly. 

If you have any unhealthy cycles; like doing the same thing when you come home everyday (For my mother it's watching Emmerdale with pizza) then seek to break those cycles. Pursue a new interest or two, walk more and stay away from stressful television programmes. 

Talking with someone is also a fantastic way of dealing with depression. Hearing an affirming voice, just when you need to, is like drinking from a cool flowing stream of clean water when your parched on a hot day. 

Try and cover all bases. Don't go straight in and think this is one for the doctor just yet. Counselling was just plain awkward for me - it isn't for everyone, but maybe worth considering? Who knows. 

Just know, that if you are depressed, it's OK to be depressed. I was depressed at one stage, as were many, many others; so you're not alone and I've picked up a trick or two if you really get stuck. You'll be fine. 

Depression can be a burden - or it can be a tool that can be used to your advantage, to finally reinvent yourself and turn your life around . It's all about perspective.

Take care, let me know how you get on. 

Edited by Ben

Sofi

I didn't have a choice about the antidepressants, Ben. I don't agree with them nearly at all either but no choice. The dose has just been increased too, which I was pretty annoyed about, as well as my other medication. The only thing is I feel significantly less anxious since I started taking them. 

Ben

When you all see your doctors, show them this: 

And let me know what they say. - I'm getting a bit tired of this constant push for antidepressants, when more effective and >>SAFER<< treatments are available!! 

*Edit; I had a very large abstract quoted, but no one was going to read it. It was pretty huge. 

Edited by Ben

Peridot

I think I may be depressed, what are some symptoms of depression?

When you for instance are constantly "flat" emotionally. Unable to get much enjoyment out of anything. An official criteria is that this state needs to be the case for at least two weeks.

King_oni

Something that also might be worth to note; is there anything that happened recently that made you feel down? And do you keep dwelling on that?

Kaygee

I've been diagnosed with Massive Depressive Disorder. I can share with you some of my symptoms, but not everyone is the same.

- A feeling of hopelessness

- A feeling of being alone all of the time

- Crying spells

- Suicide thoughts

- Suicide attempts

- No interest in the things that used to bring me joy

- No sex drive

- Clouded thoughts

- Racing thoughts

- Trouble rembering

- Trouble concentrating

- Feeling agitated all of the time

These are just some of the things that come to mind that I experience on a daily basis that may help you. But the only one that can diagnose you with a mental illness such as depression, is a doctor. You should go see one because if depression goes on for too long, you end up like me.

You don't want to end up like this!

aspiesw

I think the main symptoms I'm experiencing are a loss of sex drive, loss of enjoyment in life, just feeling down all the time, like there's a black cloud hung above my head, trouble sleeping, and trouble concentrating... Not a great thing when you're in your last year at Uni, I'm going to speak to my doctor on Wednesday, and see what she prescribes, I'm on a waiting list for CBT to treat my anxiety