Kuribo [old account]

I'm Anxious About Tomorrow.

Kuribo [old account]

I'm very anxious right now, because tomorrow, my guidance teacher will get back to me about a short meeting I had last week about possible alternatives to mainstream high school, and what other accommodations could be made in school.

I'm just worried because I fear I might be getting my hopes up about what form the course on confidence-building will take and it's frequency. I'm worried that it won't be anything particularly beneficial, that none of this will help at all, and that I'll have to tolerate another two years in high school without any significant and beneficial changes being made. :(

Willow

Well it's hard to say what they can do for you because all schools will approach it differently, but if you expect the worse then at least you won't be disappointed. From my experience, no they won't help you a lot - but if they're running you through something and you know it's going to be a load of bull... then make sure you tell them you don't think it sounds helpful. Otherwise they'll put it in place, it won't work and things will get bad again and you'll be back having the same discussion with them in no time.

TL;DR Expect nothing, and don't keep quiet.

Sofi

I'm very anxious right now, because tomorrow, my guidance teacher will get back to me about a short meeting I had last week about possible alternatives to mainstream high school, and what other accommodations could be made in school.

I'm just worried because I fear I might be getting my hopes up about what form the course on confidence-building will take and it's frequency. I'm worried that it won't be anything particularly beneficial, that none of this will help at all, and that I'll have to tolerate another two years in high school without any significant and beneficial changes being made. :(

Good luck. I hope the meeting goes well, regardless of the advice because meetings are nerve wraking anyway!

What about the school... the one you told me your friend with Aspergers ended up going to? I don't think I should put the school's name here because I think that's private. Is that ever an option for you? 

Kuribo [old account]

Well it's hard to say what they can do for you because all schools will approach it differently, but if you expect the worse then at least you won't be disappointed. From my experience, no they won't help you a lot - but if they're running you through something and you know it's going to be a load of bull... then make sure you tell them you don't think it sounds helpful. Otherwise they'll put it in place, it won't work and things will get bad again and you'll be back having the same discussion with them in no time.

TL;DR Expect nothing, and don't keep quiet.

Thanks for the advice. My school have been okay with me, but that's mostly because of a support teacher who left at the beginning of this year who is very dedicated to her job. Her temporary replacement isn't all that good. Still, I was pleasantly surprised by the meeting with a guidance teacher who I don't know very well, and he did seem genuinely concerned.

Having watched a few of your old videos, I can safely say that my school are a lot better when it comes to support than yours were. I remain skeptical though.

Good luck. I hope the meeting goes well, regardless of the advice because meetings are nerve wraking anyway!

What about the school... the one you told me your friend with Aspergers ended up going to? I don't think I should put the school's name here because I think that's private. Is that ever an option for you?

Thanks, I thinkI it'll just be a casual chat tomorrow. I do have a proper meeting in two weeks, where this will be discussed and someone from an organisation called Aspire will be there too.

I'm not sure about the school I told you about. I think it's a fee-paying school, but people receive grants from the council and some charities if they can't afford to pay. This means that there wouldn't necessarily be a guarantee of staying for the two years I'll need.

Nesf

Good luck with the school meeting! Try not to think about it too much - you just have to wait and see what they say. I'm sure they'll find some solution that will work for you. Let us know how you get on :)

Sofi

Thanks, I thinkI it'll just be a casual chat tomorrow. I do have a proper meeting in two weeks, where this will be discussed and someone from an organisation called Aspire will be there too.

I'm not sure about the school I told you about. I think it's a fee-paying school, but people receive grants from the council and some charities if they can't afford to pay. This means that there wouldn't necessarily be a guarantee of staying for the two years I'll need.

Oh, I know Aspire. They were who helped us when it was time for me to leave St. Crispin's when I was 17 and they helped find somewhere for me to go next, so they found me a place at Telford College (now Edinburgh College) for 'Get Ready for Work' course for people with Autism and learning disabilities. I don't know if it still happens but it wasn't great, we just went on trips to Morrisons and did life skills. But they might be able to find something appropriate for you. I hope.

I didn't know it was a fee paying school. 

Toran

There should be something that can be done and the waiting is always the worst part you seem to always think about the worst that can happen not the best thing possible.

Let everyone know how things go keep as positive as you can although I know that does take a lot of effort.

Megsmum

I can understand why you are so anxious, this is a big thing for you and you really need it to work out. Try to keep an open mind as much as possible though. Your guidance teacher sounds like he took your concerns seriously and has agreed to get back to you quite quickly. If they suggest some changes that you think may work for you then agree to give them a go on a trial basis and ask for a meeting to review things in 2 weeks and decide if you want to continue with them or not.

If it seems like they haven't come back to you with very many options, bare in mind that it has only been a short time since your last meeting and some changes take a while to organise, also too many changes, or options for change, can be overwhelming so it may be better to limit them to start with. 

Ask for more info on the confidence building course. Remember everyone on the course will be feeling just as anxious!!!

Are you going to this meeting alone or with a parent? I have been to a few meetings at school with my daughter since her diagnosis a year ago. The school have been very willing to try new things to help her but unfortunately she is less willing to try anything new, even though she knows she is struggling. Some of the things have been beneficial and she has told me that she is pleased I got her to try them as a trial instead of just letting her refuse all help offered. Obviously not every thing works well for everyone and just because something worked for one ASD pupil doesn't mean it will work for another, but as with everything in life, sometimes we don't know until we try it. 

I understand how desperate you are feeling right now so I really hope they can give you some real options for a positive change.

Good luck for tomorrow, let us know how the meeting went. :)  

iggy

Well, if you ask me you've already done the hardest part by having the first short meeting :) if you get really, really anxious, I would remind yourself that since this has been initiated, however anxious you get it will be worse if you end up missing this meeting.

Kuribo [old account]

They were both in meetings all day today, but I should find out by the end of the week. I will update you all as soon as I can.

Edited by Kuribo