specialstar

What are your hobbies

mary
Dogs love unconditional dont they dont expect anything in return so much more reliable than most people.

If someone said to me, pick between a dog and a human for your next friend, I'd pick the dog every time.

Willow
I'd never dream of not cooking it for people who want it, and how they wished to eat it no less.

I struggle to cook some things which I don't like myself :(  Every now and then I suddenly become disgusted by something which I've been cooking for months and so I have to stop cooking it - even though sometimes both me and my partner still like the taste of it.

With steak though, seen as that's what we're taking about...in the hobby thread...I think anything above medium rare would be fine for me. I don't like it too well done, but I'd still eat it. I like it best when it's still quite pinky in the middle and there's lots of juice left/some blood when you cut into it :D I'm sure I'd eat it less than medium rare, because I'm not all that fussy to be fair - but I wouldn't choose it.

mary
I struggle to cook some things which I don't like myself :(  Every now and then I suddenly become disgusted by something which I've been cooking for months and so I have to stop cooking it - even though sometimes both me and my partner still like the taste of it.

With steak though, seen as that's what we're taking about...in the hobby thread...I think anything above medium rare would be fine for me. I don't like it too well done, but I'd still eat it. I like it best when it's still quite pinky in the middle and there's lots of juice left/some blood when you cut into it :D I'm sure I'd eat it less than medium rare, because I'm not all that fussy to be fair - but I wouldn't choose it.

I'm not so bad at cooking things I don't like, for others to eat.  I remember making stuff when I was younger, because I was trying out new recipes, and then cooking something else for myself because I didn't like whatever was in it.  Thankfully I've not had that happen with regards to becoming disgusted with food.

Yes, quite, talking about meat in a hobbies thread!! ;)  I guess it's all just down to personal preference, and I can see why people get annoyed if they ask for meat to be cooked in a certain way and it comes to them under or over done, esp if they are paying for it.

iggy

Steak is a hobby.... Right? :P I don't like red meat on chunks, only mixed and cooked to death. Paranoi which comes with taking a food hygiene course (mandatory as part of a cooking class at school hehe)

My favourite hobby is probably video gaming, then reading. I also like horse riding a lot, but without a horse this only happens so often.

Ben

and there's lots of juice left/some blood when you cut into it 

A good quality well hung steak shouldn't bleed. I got a piece of rump from the butchers the other day, and it had been hung so long, it was almost black. I think it may of been Angus beef, either way it was lush. 

When I cut in, It was the most amazing blushed pink colour I had ever seen. 

I must apologise, I tend to get carried away when talking about steak. 

Andy
A good quality well hung steak shouldn't bleed. I got a piece of rump from the butchers the other day, and it had been hung so long, it was almost black. I think it may of been Angus beef, either way it was lush. 

When I cut in, It was the most amazing blushed pink colour I had ever seen. 

I must apologise, I tend to get carried away when talking about steak. 

Are you totally sure it was beef as you trotted home from the shop ?

Ben
Are you totally sure it was beef as you trotted home from the shop ?

You laugh, but I've brought horse meat from the butchers many times. It's very rich like venison. I'm not a stranger to crocodile, kangaroo, ostrich or buffalo either.

iggy
You laugh, but I've brought horse meat from the butchers many times. It's very rich like venison. I'm not a stranger to crocodile, kangaroo, ostrich or buffalo either.

I'm surprised there isn't more complaints about the other meats, like pork traces they found. I'm pretty sure that there's a religion where pork shouldn't be consumed, so those people are probably quite angry/sad because they thought it was beef not pork....

Andy

I have no problem with horse meat but I do have a problem with being defrauded and further to that pharmaceuticals many of which and dangerous to humans being present in the meat, hence why when I do eat red meat it is organic which is also a clue why I don't eat much red meat- I can't afford it, the same with chicken and turkey. But at least I know the fish that I eat a lot of is organic, so what's in it is what is in the sea. I really ought to start collecting shell fish again, but limpets are a bit like eating fishy tasting and slightly salty erasers but they are loaded with protein.

My rule regards buying food, if I cannot positively identify it I don't buy, so that is bread crumb covered frozen shapes out of the window straight away no matter how heavily advertised they are.

But I am into pickled vegetables at the moment and fermented fish, sauerkraut and sil.

Kolo

The people who are outraged by the idea of eating horse but are fine with the idea of eating beef seem strange to me, it seems like such an arbitrary line to draw but I can understand the outrage at effectively being defrauded.