annalise_fox_ford

How Can I Explain Aspegers To My Friends?

annalise_fox_ford

i am just wondering this as i find out in january if i have AS but how could i say it without them thinking me as werd just because i cant explain it ?

thanks for the help :)

Bruce

There's a basic info sheet on the NAS website that might help, then!

Toran

That is the fundamental issue isn't it communication, what I would suggest is you taking the time to write a personal letter to each of your friends that you wish to tell.

Take your time and make sure you have everything you want to say in it. You could also put in some litriture explaining about the Autistic Spectrum. This would give them a good idea and then when you speak to them they have the information at hand so they will fully understand what your explaining to them.

Sofi

You could think of some times you have had with your friends when your possible AS traits were shown and say to your friends "Remember that time when I..." (maybe a time you were anxious about going somewhere or you said something they didn't understand. I don't know what your traits are like)  then you could say that you found out it's because you have something called Aspergers and that it doesn't change you, it just explains some things about you, you just found out it's got a name. They might have heard of Aspergers anyway. You could then show them more information, like printed from the NAS website or if you have a book about Aspergers, if one of your friends wanted to know more. 
Your friends should just accept you for who you are and support you and not think you are weird, it won't change your friendship with them. 

Smithy The Wizard

Email a link to Willow's youtube channel. Specifically to a video where Willow explains what aspergers syndrome is.

Kuribo [old account]

That is the fundamental issue isn't it communication, what I would suggest is you taking the time to write a personal letter to each of your friends that you wish to tell.

Take your time and make sure you have everything you want to say in it. You could also put in some litriture explaining about the Autistic Spectrum. This would give them a good idea and then when you speak to them they have the information at hand so they will fully understand what your explaining to them.

This is a good idea. You'll probably be able to explain better in writing than you could vocally. Smithy's idea is good too, Willow's videos could be very helpful in making them understand.

annalise_fox_ford

thanks all of you i will try them !! :)

iggy

To add to above, I would suggest maybe telling them one at a time, starting with the friend you are most comfortable with. 

Willow

Email a link to Willow's youtube channel. Specifically to a video where Willow explains what aspergers syndrome is.

Aww thanks :D I have had a lot of emails saying that they've used my videos for this reason and it's been perfect for it, so maybe it would be a good idea haha! :)