mary

Baking

mary

So... who else likes baking?  I'm a bit OCD about my baking, and get a little upset when whatever I've baked doesn't turn out exactly how I want it to.  I do find it rather therapeutic though.

Last night I got in from work and made two batches of rocky road, then this morning I made a batch of orange cupcakes with orange / lemon buttercream and a three tier lemon / lime cake with lemon / lime / orange buttercream filling and glaze as a birthday cake.  I've tried to attach a pic of the cupcakes... wonder if it will work!

Anyone else like baking?  Any particular favourites to bake?

This week I'm hoping to try and make / decorate cookies... I'm on holiday so thought that might be a nice relaxing way to spend my time.

iggy

I like to bake/cook! Everyone likes my lemon meringue cupcakes (except my grandad, because he doesn't like lemon :P ) recently I have been making flapjacks and oat/chocolate cookies, since we had lots of porridge oats in the house. I always make some sort of sweet thing around Christmas. This year it was pear and ginger cake (semi vegan - my aunt is vegan but she eats eggs from our chickens, since we don't have a cockerel and don't kill them unless it is the same situation as putting down a pet).

I like making things like cakes because they don't require too much construction, and I'm not so good at making them look very pretty. I got a piping bag for my birthday, so I've been practicing with that (even if I'm not very good)

mary

Oooh those all sound lovely!  I'm not great at piping but I'm trying to get better!  I bought some dual piping bags which I want to try out too, but then saw another way to get two colours into piped work so might try that as well.  Too many ideas, too little time!

iggy

I also like the atmosphere of baking. With a very small kitchen, it's a good way to get some space from other people, since its pretty cramped if you put several people in there while someone is actually cooking in there.

Sofi

Those sound / look so yummy! I don't bake myself but I would like to learn. I am quite clumsy so I don't know how it would go :P  I like eating baking.....  :D

Arthur

I bake by going to bakery or by getting it frozen its easy to bake :P

Willow

I love baking, but I haven't done it for a while. I make chocolate fudge cake because I found a recipe that my fiancé actually like (he's a fussy chocolate fudge cake eater). I made some shortbread to for my Mum and Step-Dad's anniversary. Also some soft gingerbread cookies and rainbow cupcakes. And bread - oh an I made some Cornish pasties.  XD

603328_488976011126987_1896243906_n.jpg

246778_487488447942410_1317875016_n.jpg

399584_486960011328587_1375602037_n.jpg

23d3235ca0597d08ba24828c4529314a.jpg

mary

You sound like you have quite a repetoire Willow!  I'm better at sweet than savoury.  The stuff you've posted looks so nice!  The rainbow cakes made me smile as my nephew (3) asks me to make rainbow cakes for him quite often when he visits.

Willow
You sound like you have quite a repetoire Willow!  I'm better at sweet than savoury.  The stuff you've posted looks so nice!  The rainbow cakes made me smile as my nephew (3) asks me to make rainbow cakes for him quite often when he visits.

:D Mostly the things I bake turn out really well, but I'm just following a recipe so I don't see why it shouldn't. I mean, yes I drop things often and sometimes make mistakes and have to start over, but I'm just a little clumsy so it's to be expected. But overall I find it to be a good experience.

Most of those only look so good because I have a SLR camera, which makes everything look good :D

hehe, the rainbow cakes were really just for photography purposes - although I have to say they were delicious; here's the recipe I used: http://bakingbites.com/2009/05/rainbow-cupcakes/

And here's the photo I made them for:

250194_489113071113281_2023606124_n.jpg

Sofi

Willow, your baking looks so nice! I like the jar the shortbread is in, that's sweet. 

My mum likes to bake a lot and I just eat it! When I have tried, even things out of those baking boxes, it has still gone wrong!