Sign in to follow this  
Kuribo [old account]

Age Discrimination

Kuribo [old account]

I'm sick of people's attitudes towards young people in society. I am tired of being ordered around, given dirty looks in the street, thought of as inferior, not taken seriously, patronised, and treated like a second class citizen for no reason other than my age. Humans enjoy feeling superior to others for whatever reason they can find, and age just happens to be the most universally accepted reason.

The whole "adults are more experienced and mature" thing is utter bullshit. Why on earth would someone so wise and mature feel the need to lord it over someone due to such a totally insignificant factor?

Now, please don't think that I have such a low opinion of all adults. I respect my parents because of everything they have done for me. I respected my grandfather because he was the wisest and most intelligent person I've ever met. I respected my old support teacher because she is an amazing human being who made an otherwise awful situation bearable for me, and for four years.

However, I most certainly will NOT show any more respect towards an adult stranger than I would towards a young stranger. I believe in starting out by showing a certain amount of respect to every human I meet. If they give me a reason to show them more respect, I will quite happily do so. If they give me a reason to show them less, then I shall also respond accordingly.

If an adult is totally disrespectful towards me, why is it that they should be treated with any more respect by me than I'd show towards a young person in the same situation. In what way does the number of years a person has existed excuse disrespectful, abusive behaviour? Allow me to answer that - it simply does not. It does not excuse or justify this behaviour in any way whatsoever.

In society, older people often feel discriminated against, both by young people themselves, and by the media. I am in complete agreement with this and feel sorry for adults who feel similarly to myself. However, what most people fail to realise is that society as a whole, including the older generation, perpetuates this situation.

I firmly believe that this is all one big never-ending cycle that works very similarly to the way in which the education system perpetuates gang culture and antisocial behaviour. Many young people lash out and deliberately show disrespect to ALL adults because they feel exactly like I do. Yes, this is an immature and immoral reaction, but this kind of behaviour and the large divide between old and young will continue indefinitely if we continue to place so much importance on age.

I hope I have been clear. Feel free to ask for clarification if I have not.

Nesf

I like to think that I'm not one of those adults you describe here - I don't consider people who are younger than me in any way inferior. It used to annoy me as a teenager if adults patronised me, but I can't say this happened too often. Or possibly, it did, but i failed to pick up on it.

Sometimes elderly people annoy me by saying that they should be respected because they are older. Of course they should be respected, every human being should be respected. But respect needs to be earned. I've met elderly people who use their age as an excuse to gain privileges, manipulate or get their own way, disregarding other people - for example, going to the front of the queue when physically there is nothing wrong with them. This is just plain bad behaviour, and this type of person does not deserve respect.

Jale

Oh I have one teacher that is really annoying with this particular crap.

Guess what she is also the worst teacher in history of teaching.

She hates her job and it makes people sick.

You can't even ask a question without being yelled at. I ask a question if I don't know, in a first place. And I'm not asking you a question because I know stuff! It's because I want to learn something on your stupid class.

And she says "lectures" instead of class like it's some kind of high quality education service.

You have to earn respect.

If you are acting ignorant then you are either:

• Giving young people wrong example
  • Or letting people know how misrable your life is
Edited by Jale

spiderwoman0_2

Well I only respect people who respect me, don't care how old they are.  I will treat all people as though they are nice, until they prove otherwise and in that case I won't engage them anymore.

Kuribo [old account]

The irrational attitude in society that young people should be controlled to an extent that no adult should have to tolerate is disgusting. It infuriates me that it is so widely accepted. It infuriates me that people would refuse to treat me as an equal or in some cases, even associate with me due to my age and for no other reason whatsoever.

I also hate the expectation that young people should tolerate insulting comments and gestures from adults, and that retaliating against them counts as "disrespect" when the opposite is apparently acceptable.

No matter how valid a young person's opinion is, it will often be disregarded for no other reason than the person's age.

While it still goes on, of course, discrimination against against people due to factors such as skin colour, race, religion, sexuality and disability are generally disapproved of, so why is this disgusting behaviour towards young people still perpetuated?!

I have never been given one sufficient explanation for all of this. Many have tried, all have failed miserably.

Nedarb

To be honest, I find it kind of funny (in a sad way) that there is age discrimination in the first place. I live in an area where there is a large portion of elderly people, most are okay though. However there are some who prattle on and on about how today's youth are so lazy and entitled. Do they realize/know that they were once young, and likely had elder generations look down on them at that time as well? 

I guess the assumption of young people being lazy and entitled stems from the fact that every new generation does things differently than the previous one. There were no cell phones, youtube, etc when they were young. Really that makes a huge difference! Receiving new information is, much of the time, as easy as pushing a button

Chris123

I completely agree.

My English teachers the worse, he shouts in my face calling me stupid if I don't get something and if I say something back I end up getting all the S***!

The only people I respect are people that respect me and if they don't why should I respect them? :huh:

Kuribo [old account]

Wow. Just wow. :blink: The kind of things people use as arguments in favour of this are just utterly ludicrous. How can any human being think without using any logic whatsoever? Not a rhetorical question, I am absolutely shocked!

Someone on another forum questioned why teachers who show no respect whatsoever to young people deserve respect in return. The response was "You respect them because they are your teachers. No ifs, no buts you little brat". Another person asked exactly the same question, with examples of him asking perfectly calm, polite, and reasonable questions and receiving ridiculous responses in return. He was told by a user of the forum to stop being "disrespectful" to his teachers.

Are these people really so arrogant that they assume it is their right to redefine words as they please? Apparently, the word "disrespectful" now means "to civilly disagree even slightly with someone older than you on any given topic". If so, their existence warrants an official redefinition of the word "failure".

How the HELL can an intellectually-capable human being think without applying any logic or reason whatsoever?

This is the attitude of a reasonable person:

Well I only respect people who respect me, don't care how old they are. I will treat all people as though they are nice, until they prove otherwise and in that case I won't engage them anymore.

Thank you spiderwoman. :)

If you are reading this and your attitude differs from this by as much as a millimetre, then please come and explain why, and be sure to back up each and every point you make with legitimate reasons that make even a small amount of sense. If you find yourself unable to do this, perhaps you should consider reassessing your values.

Edited by Kuribo

MrGrey

My brother treat his kids as kids.  He goes to a fast food, tell them to wait at the table, orders for them and brings back the food.  One day I was with him, I was inviting.  And I gave each kid $10 dollars... "go get whatever you want".  My brother was quite surprised that the kids made the line, order by themselves and came back just fine.

Treat youngsters as adults, and they'll behave as such.