Anxious

Benefits ?

MANOFSTEEL2013

Housing Benefit, Income support, DLA, ESA. Explanation long story but similar to a few of you

Heather

My boyfriend gets DLA too as well as ESA because he can't work.. he can't get a car and doesn't have his license (besides the learners) and so when he tried looking for a job he was severley limited to what he could work as and couldn't get a job anywhere.  So that's why he had to go back to university and so he will be able to get into a career he loves and can maybe even work from home! :)  I on the other hand live in Canada and we don't have DLA (maybe something similar but I don't care enough to look because I'm doing okay)and I was able to get a part time job which has helped me with confidences but I would not recommend anyone go into a job in fast food/customer service, especially not fellow people with AS and especially not my precious boyfriend.. he also has OCDs and PTSD so thoughts can get into his head and he has a hard time letting go and he would find work even harder than me.  Thats why we are working towards our goal.  My boyfriend is definitely not going to be on benefits forever because (as I was reminded of the last time I visited my boyfriend), people in the UK on benefits cannot support a partner on a fiance visa .. so basically any way of me and him being together, he can't be on benefits.. so.. definitely not taking advantage of the system.  It's just a way to keep people dependent on the government. Anyways.. it's good to have them there. 

specialstar

I get DLA because I need a lot of support. DLA pays towards my care and mobility i need support with. I also need my ESA as i dont work paid work only volunteer. I wouldnt be able to cope getting paid work because of my mood affects my day to day living so that means i cant always get up

Toran
I get DLA because I need a lot of support. DLA pays towards my care and mobility i need support with. I also need my ESA as i dont work paid work only volunteer. I wouldnt be able to cope getting paid work because of my mood affects my day to day living so that means i cant always get up

I understand where your coming from there it is difficult to function a lot of the time and somedays its almost impossible. Equally it would be easier to work if employers were understanding of our needs. It used to be called personel now they call it human resorses which is more acurate because people are a resorse to be used then discarded when they have nothing else to give. The way its going disabled or ill people are being labeled as scroungers and told by the goverment they are fit to work when they clearly arnt. Without employers being prepared to make nessesary adaptions in the workplace it looks pretty bleak. Theres always hope that things will change but thats a very small light at the end of the tunnel at the moment.

Andy
DLA is notwhats the word when it doesnt affect whilst u work. when ESA is whats the word awarded they put DLA as notcounted towards so it doesnt mean u lose your incomesupport

Well I lost income support when I lost middle rate DLA and that was the reason I was told. I have since inquired as I have struggled, but I have been told I am no longer entitled to income support. Whereas there is someone I know who is on middle rate with income support, studying for a degree at university and he has started a small business, his disability has not flared in years but he keeps his entitlement because he has a mental health team looking after his interests. But he lost his income support for a few months and then asked me how the hell do I survive on what I get, I said simple in order to have some sort of life just cut out or reduce what you can go without and so I don't have a TV so that is circa £160 a year saved, I buy second hand clothes or make them myself, I follow the immigrants to where they shop for food and of food I eat roughly every two days and so yes I am tired and weak most of the time but that is the only way as no one is hiring over forties AS adults that have been out of work for a few years and the DWP is not addressing the real problem and that is what the job centre report as the long term unemployed have lost their confidence and self respect, people need building up, not smashing down and lord knows there is a lot of smashing down going on in the UK of today in our less than compassionate society.

Toran

I couldnt agree more Andy its absolutely terrible how you are forced to live is beyond belief. People certainly need help in getting back on their feet not being forced further into poverty and ill health then they complain there are too many people who are sick. Also this coalition government closed down the factory where the disabled were working then in an article were patting themselves on the back for helping the disabled find work which probably wasnt true anyway its unbelievable makes me so angry at times.

Andy
I couldnt agree more Andy its absolutely terrible how you are forced to live is beyond belief. People certainly need help in getting back on their feet not being forced further into poverty and ill health then they complain there are too many people who are sick. Also this coalition government closed down the factory where the disabled were working then in an article were patting themselves on the back for helping the disabled find work which probably wasnt true anyway its unbelievable makes me so angry at times.

It's not only that, part of this coalition government sold of, destroyed or driven off industry in the 1980's without addressing the population issue which is set to get far worse even if immigration was stopped because people being born grow up and become adults and there need to work, with no heavy industry the old mass employers, what are we going to do ?

Personally I see far more people on benefits in the future either that or a distasteful alternative because if we don't have the industry, we cannot support our population. The other thing I can perhaps speculate on is a complete change of our political system and I believe it will need a change for this country to pull together or be forced to pull together and build itself up again as to face it this country became great because the populace did not have the freedoms or the luxuries we have today.

As to Remploy, my neighbour who has some mental health issue that creates slurred speech worked there, he is now out of work and spends his day riding around on buses with his free bus pass for something to do and has started drinking heavily.

Toran

I to can see a decline coming becsuse the maths dont add up and with an ageing population as well it can only get worse. They are expecting us to work longer into our sixtys even seventys I wouldnt be surprised and at the same time clamp down on the sick to try to get people to work instead. If your in an office you may manage it if you dont get sacked for sickness with all the ailments we get as we get older. What about all the driver in there sixtys seventys driving lorrys busses trains they wont disclose eye sight proplems or health issues because of the fear of losing their jobs. Then theres the construction sites manual workers how are they going to keep up productivity working next to a 20 or 30 year old they will have to go and be told to do something else have to learn to be an admin aassistant at mid 50s from a production line and it goes on gettinh crazeier. Then people will turn to drink or something else as support for depression like you said about your friend its a mad world and the awful thing is they actually expect it to work

Andy
I to can see a decline coming becsuse the maths dont add up and with an ageing population as well it can only get worse. They are expecting us to work longer into our sixtys even seventys I wouldnt be surprised and at the same time clamp down on the sick to try to get people to work instead. If your in an office you may manage it if you dont get sacked for sickness with all the ailments we get as we get older. What about all the driver in there sixtys seventys driving lorrys busses trains they wont disclose eye sight proplems or health issues because of the fear of losing their jobs. Then theres the construction sites manual workers how are they going to keep up productivity working next to a 20 or 30 year old they will have to go and be told to do something else have to learn to be an admin aassistant at mid 50s from a production line and it goes on gettinh crazeier. Then people will turn to drink or something else as support for depression like you said about your friend its a mad world and the awful thing is they actually expect it to work

Personally I think governments are running scared, they know it is coming, the point of social upheaval and with that their existence threatened, but make no doubts about it they have provisions in place to protect themselves and draconian laws will be wheeled out to put us in our place but the world is watching and that is what they have to be careful of, oppress too much and the world will take action as we do when we see it elsewhere.

As step in the right direction now would be to halt immigration and cut the child benefit to discourage births if we are going to survive our future, as to not do so we are heading for disaster.

The other thing which is a bit controversial but not unheard of for controlling populations is epidemics and I would not put that past mean men in power and so you may understand who I fear, I fear our government because they don't work for us.

Toran

Im afraid I havent looked that deep into it its a scary subject when you think about it but like I said nothing will surprise me because humans are capable of anything as history shows.