Andy

Cars, anyone own and drive~ What do you drive and what have you had ?

Andy
The cost of running a car is expensive too ive only got a small 106 but I drive it only when I have to. The bus system is not reliable and they dont even turn up sometimes and for things like hospital appointments and doctors you cant afford to be late. If they want to save fuel and our resorses they need to encourage people by making public transport affordable safe clean and reliable.

Yes, this !

Privatisation destroyed public transport, it used to be a lot better and relatively cheap. I lost my NHS dentist through public transport not turning up or running late; first group.Public transport is not viable in the UK certainly not the buses anyway.

My car I hardly use it due to cost and it only did 900 miles last year and it has just cost me £77 to get it through it's mot. But I have fitted a vacuum gauge so I know where economical driving is and I am getting 18mpg more than the published figures, yeah I drive slow and accelerate slowly but I am in no rush.

Toran

I

Yes, this !

Privatisation destroyed public transport, it used to be a lot better and relatively cheap. I lost my NHS dentist through public transport not turning up or running late; first group.Public transport is not viable in the UK certainly not the buses anyway.

My car I hardly use it due to cost and it only did 900 miles last year and it has just cost me £77 to get it through it's mot. But I have fitted a vacuum gauge so I know where economical driving is and I am getting 18mpg more than the published figures, yeah I drive slow and accelerate slowly but I am in no rush.

Yes I agree with you its best to drive steady and take as many measures as posible to save fuel not only does it save money prevent wear and tear on your car it helps save resorses and the enviroment. I think things are going to get worse before they get better unfortunately but if we keep doing our bit at least we are making the effort.

Andy
I Yes I agree with you its best to drive steady and take as many measures as posible to save fuel not only does it save money prevent wear and tear on your car it helps save resorses and the enviroment. I think things are going to get worse before they get better unfortunately but if we keep doing our bit at least we are making the effort.

Unfortunately doings one's bit is not recognised unless you have loads of money to buy eco friendly cars. My car is clean, it's eighteen years old and the emissions report today said it is better than a lot of cars half it's age, but then I am on the ball with servicing and more and a lot from hypermilling forums

Toran
Unfortunately doings one's bit is not recognised unless you have loads of money to buy eco friendly cars. My car is clean, it's eighteen years old and the emissions report today said it is better than a lot of cars half it's age, but then I am on the ball with servicing and more and a lot from hypermilling forums

Everything comes down to money in the end and its because of the greed for it so much damage is done in the first place. Instead of doing whats best they do what makes the most money. I find myself getting anoyed about it but what can one person do. I just do what I can and at least I can say I did the best I could doubt if it will make a difference but im sticking to my principles one this one.

mary

I've been driving for 18 years this year, man that's scary to say!  My first car was a Toyota Celica 76 model... my grandfather chose it because it was a sturdy car with little rust for it's age and he felt that if I were to be in an accident it'd be a lot safer than smaller fronted cars.  To be fair, I was quite happy as it was a nice drive, and had airconditioning... pretty much all that mattered in Australian summers.

After that I was over here so it was smaller cars all the way... I've had a corsa, which I hated and then a couple of renault clios.  I must admit because I was always running up and down the country to do gig photography, and mostly by myself, I got a new car every three years (some might say it's rather extravagent) because I felt that I stood more chance of getting there without problems with a newer car.  I also knew that it hadn't been run into the ground by some old lady's grandson on those famous 'one lady owner' type cars, that would have done few miles, but those miles will have been run hard.

I now have a mini countryman as I needed something relatively small but able to fit myself, my 6' 7" brother and his little boy in.  Suits me fine and isn't too expensive to run.

I'm not really bothered what I drive though as long as it gets me there and I feel safe in doing so.

Toran
I've been driving for 18 years this year, man that's scary to say!  My first car was a Toyota Celica 76 model... my grandfather chose it because it was a sturdy car with little rust for it's age and he felt that if I were to be in an accident it'd be a lot safer than smaller fronted cars.  To be fair, I was quite happy as it was a nice drive, and had airconditioning... pretty much all that mattered in Australian summers.

After that I was over here so it was smaller cars all the way... I've had a corsa, which I hated and then a couple of renault clios.  I must admit because I was always running up and down the country to do gig photography, and mostly by myself, I got a new car every three years (some might say it's rather extravagent) because I felt that I stood more chance of getting there without problems with a newer car.  I also knew that it hadn't been run into the ground by some old lady's grandson on those famous 'one lady owner' type cars, that would have done few miles, but those miles will have been run hard.

I now have a mini countryman as I needed something relatively small but able to fit myself, my 6' 7" brother and his little boy in.  Suits me fine and isn't too expensive to run.

Thats the main thing safety and economic on the road these days. I wouldnt have one if public transport was reliable and cost friendly but dont think thats going to be for quite a long time into the future.

I'm not really bothered what I drive though as long as it gets me there and I feel safe in doing so.

Andy

You lucky so and so, that was my first car love, '77 Celica  and in particular the 2000 ST Lift back, but a 1600 ST notch back Coupe would have done nicely, but alas I could not afford the insurance for such a marque and what our climate did to them was horrendous ! But styled on Americarna, the Mustang I believe and with that, I always loved the '69 Mach 1 Mustang.

I went off Celica with the next generation as the later marques were ugly.

mary
You lucky so and so, that was my first car love, '77 Celica  and in particular the 2000 ST Lift back, but a 1600 ST notch back Coupe would have done nicely, but alas I could not afford the insurance for such a marque and what our climate did to them was horrendous ! But styled on Americarna, the Mustang I believe and with that, I always loved the '69 Mach 1 Mustang.

I went off Celica with the next generation as the later marques were ugly.

Now I'm wondering if I got my year right, it was either 76 or 77... I know for sure it was older than me and it was one of those years.  My best friend's sister had one exactly the same as mine, same colour as well... except mine had Celica down the side and hers didn't.  Was very strange that we'd both end up with the same car.  It was a beautiful drive and I don't doubt that I'd stil have it now if I hadn't left Australia.

I didn't really like the newer Celica's either.  I don't know if I'd have said I liked the one I had until I grew to love it though!  Even though I'm not really into cars I can appreciate that Mustangs are nice... did I just call them nice!?  Sorry!!

Andy
Now I'm wondering if I got my year right, it was either 76 or 77... I know for sure it was older than me and it was one of those years.  My best friend's sister had one exactly the same as mine, same colour as well... except mine had Celica down the side and hers didn't.  Was very strange that we'd both end up with the same car.  It was a beautiful drive and I don't doubt that I'd stil have it now if I hadn't left Australia.

I didn't really like the newer Celica's either.  I don't know if I'd have said I liked the one I had until I grew to love it though!  Even though I'm not really into cars I can appreciate that Mustangs are nice... did I just call them nice!?  Sorry!!

There are two sides to me with cars, one is I go for the shape of which the seventies Celica and late sixties Mustang had and then there is the side of me that goes for special purpose vehicles hence Land- Rover and VW camper where now the Clio was just a cheap car to get me back on the road, but if my plans work out am going back to he camper where I will be looking for a type 25/3 VW Syncro 16 high top, as dual purpose I need.

Another Japanese car of the time that was nice was the Datsun 240z but that had more European styling. Where now everything comes out of the same drag coefficient computer and manufacturers have to dare to be different to separate themselves from the rest.