Toran

Healthy Eating

Heather
Ive been considering becoming vegetarian I enjoy meat but I do get pangs of guilt sometimes for eating what was living creatures. If I had to kill them myself I would definitely be vegetarian I couldnt do it. How many people do you think would be vegetarian if they had to kill the animal in order to eat the meat they like?

I think a lot of the reason people eat meat so much is because it's widely available in stores and fast food places.  If people could only get meat by going hunting and bringing it home and cooking it.. I think it would lessen the amount of people.. but then people might just pay the hunters to kill the animals.  I even have some cousins who go hunting. :(  I think our society has become very desensitized.  But I know it's hard to change.. especially for people with AS who have their routines that include meat.. or like I didn't want to stand out so it was hard for me to become vegetarian and then vegan.  I do not judge people who eat meat though.. my family still eats meat and my friends and I see it all the time.. and I do remember enjoying meat.  I just don't like it now and was able to move towards a plant based diet which I enjoy.  :)

Hmm, very few people :(

I just can't switch meat /anything for something else because Chris is fussy. And I do like meat - but I like pasta too and I never eat that because Chris doesn't like it.

That's tough.  It would have been so much harder for me to become vegetarian or vegan if my boyfriend hadn't become a vegan first.  I probably wouldn't have.  I remember in high school I toyed with the idea of becoming vegetarian, but I didn't think I could do it.  Then my boyfriend found out he was intolerant to milk and egg, and decided to become vegan.  I didn't become a vegetarian right away, but that slowly gave me the courage to officially become one, and tell my familiy... and then less than a year later I decided to become totally vegan. But it would be very hard to follow a different diet from your fiance, would be too much extra cooking probably. :(

I usually eat different foods to my parents , and we don't eat together. They eat a lot of meat which I don't. I would happily become a vegetarian and I think I slowly am becoming one if I finally stop the chicken I still sometimes eat. I actually can't stand meat, it makes me feel weird. It is not even about the killing animal thing because I know it happens anyway, it is just the actual meat I can't stand for myself. 

I have eaten different foods from my parents since I officially became a vegetarian.  Before then I made my own breakfast and usually lunch, but usually ate the same dinner as them.  I love cooking for myself now and controlling what I eat.  Sometimes my mom will make a vegan dish and ask if I would like some and lets me decide.  I don't think I've ever been that crazy for meat, I think it's because it was there, and I also know a lot of what I found good about meat was the flavours and maybe texture a bit but many foods that have meat in them can be duplicated in a plant based way.

Toran

You have to be very careful with chicken sofi im like you check it really well before I eat it. Many years ago ate some and it couldnt have been cooked right ive never felt so ill before or after. Do you mind telling us the things you know about meat its good to know all the facts. I wouldnt say thats being blunt but being honest its just sometimes people arnt that keen are hearing things especially if it makes them uncomfortable.

Sofi
I have eaten different foods from my parents since I officially became a vegetarian.  Before then I made my own breakfast and usually lunch, but usually ate the same dinner as them.  I love cooking for myself now and controlling what I eat.  Sometimes my mom will make a vegan dish and ask if I would like some and lets me decide.  I don't think I've ever been that crazy for meat, I think it's because it was there, and I also know a lot of what I found good about meat was the flavours and maybe texture a bit but many foods that have meat in them can be duplicated in a plant based way.

I think that is great, what sort of vegan dishes do you eat for dinner?

You have to be very careful with chicken sofi im like you check it really well before I eat it. Many years ago ate some and it couldnt have been cooked right ive never felt so ill before or after. Do you mind telling us the things you know about meat its good to know all the facts. I wouldnt say thats being blunt but being honest its just sometimes people arnt that keen are hearing things especially if it makes them uncomfortable.

Well, I don't know any specific facts or anything. I am just grossed out when I see anything like blood on raw meat, the look of raw meat just makes me feel sick. I can't really explain it and I have done no research on animals or anything. It is not even that I feel guilty eating animals. The main reasons I don't like meat is the way it looks raw, and it makes me feel so full and bloated after eating it and I'm paranoid that is not cooked properly. 

Heather
I think that is great, what sort of vegan dishes do you eat for dinner?

Okay well one of my favourite vegan dishes to make is pasta and tomato sauce.  I like to use rice pasta (it's also gluten free and says right on the packet, vegan, but most dry pastas are vegan just made with semolina flour.. though my boyfriend can't handle the semolina so we always use rice pasta when we're together) and then make a tomato sauce with cooking onion, garlic, and then usually just adding a can of diced tomatoes, but sometimes I use fresh tomatoes if I have them or a tomato sauce.  And then usually I add basil and oregano and maybe some extra salt, like if I used fresh tomatoes, but usually it doesn't need it... maybe some pepper though.

I make little vegan individual size pizzas.  There's a yeast free vegan pizza dough recipe that's easy to use (1 1/2 cups flour, about a tsp or tbsp of baking powder.. I don't always measure so I forget.. and a pinch of salt, and mix that together and then it's 2 TBSP of oil and 1/2 or less of water usually.. add the water slowly so it comes to the right consistency) and then I bake it for a few minutes first.. 5-10 minutes or however long the toppings take to prepare, and I put tomato paste or sauce on and then whatever vegetables I want.. onions, tomatoes, peppers..  and then bake it for about 5-10 minutes longer.  Total bake time should be 15-20 minutes at 200 C / 400 F, depending on your oven and maybe how much toppings or how thick the crust was or whatever.

I really love this recipe for baked almond feta.  I used to LOVE feta cheese. and while it's not exactly the same, it is super duper yummy and delicious. 

http://www.maplespice.com/2011/04/baked-almond-feta-with-dill-oil.html

My boyfriend ate this on its own together.. it kinda has a lot of fat though because of the almonds.. but also lots of protein and other yummy stuff. :)  I even tried making a vegan greek salad. 

Another yummy food I found and I like making is called Dill Pickle Dip

http://spabettie.com/2011/12/22/dill-pickle-dip/

I love it so much.. it's good with crackers, chips, and bread.. but also probably best and healthiest with other veggies like carrots or something. :)

Ohh and I heard you mention hummus before, that stuff is delicious.

And vegan lasagne.. my boyfriend and I made a very simple one.. using a vegan pasta recipe "Pici pasta" and making that as the flat noodle layers, and then making a tomato sauce similar to the one we use with pasta, and then a white sauce (basically using vegan margarine.. a good UK brand is Vitalite.. in north america we have Earth Balance) and flour to combine to make a "roux" and then cook a bit and then add some (preferable unsweetened) non dairy milk and mix til smooth and cook til thickened but if too thick, add more milk.  Then add garlic powder, and onion powder and other spices.. like maybe basil and some salt and pepper to taste.  And then layer that with the tomato sauce onto the homemade pici pasta.. and it would be better/healthier with some extra veggies added in.. but my boyfriend and I stuck to this simple version when we made it last.

And that's all I'll write for now, I don't want to bog down this forum with my recipe ideas.  I'll make the font smaller on the parts where I'm explaining recipes and the normal size for the simple names.  If you want to know more email me or I have a section on the site my boyfriend and I have started where I started to put recipes I made and altered http://www.thehumblepepper.info/vegan-recipes.html There will be more recipes on there in the future.. I was really proud of how my vegan greek salad turned out and I was proud of myself for finally learning how to cook squash and doing it myself.. the spaghetti squashes are pretty cool.  You need a good knife to cut them in half and I don't know.. it can get dangerous I guess so be careful.  :)

Sofi
Okay well one of my favourite vegan dishes to make is pasta and tomato sauce.  I like to use rice pasta (it's also gluten free and says right on the packet, vegan, but most dry pastas are vegan just made with semolina flour.. though my boyfriend can't handle the semolina so we always use rice pasta when we're together) and then make a tomato sauce with cooking onion, garlic, and then usually just adding a can of diced tomatoes, but sometimes I use fresh tomatoes if I have them or a tomato sauce.  And then usually I add basil and oregano and maybe some extra salt, like if I used fresh tomatoes, but usually it doesn't need it... maybe some pepper though.

I make little vegan individual size pizzas.  There's a yeast free vegan pizza dough recipe that's easy to use (1 1/2 cups flour, about a tsp or tbsp of baking powder.. I don't always measure 

Thank you, that is great. I have looked on your website, the butternut squash and chickpea chilli looks so nice, I love butternut squash. I've seen a butternut squash curry before as well, I have always wanted to try that. The pasta and pizza sound good too. Maybe I will try some of these but it is always a disaster when I try to cook, I am so clumsy with my hands my mum would need to supervise!!!

I love hummus too, I eat it a lot with pitta breads.

Chicken_55

Toran I saw a TV documentary recently on fresh fruit and vegetables and they came to the conclusion that these are all much, much cheaper (and fresher) if you buy them from a street market.  This is provided you have the time for this and there is a street market within easy reach of your home.

Heather
Thank you, that is great. I have looked on your website, the butternut squash and chickpea chilli looks so nice, I love butternut squash. I've seen a butternut squash curry before as well, I have always wanted to try that. The pasta and pizza sound good too. Maybe I will try some of these but it is always a disaster when I try to cook, I am so clumsy with my hands my mum would need to supervise!!!

I love hummus too, I eat it a lot with pitta breads.

You're welcome and thank you.  The butternut squash and chickpea chili was a new one for me but I was pretty happy with how it turned out, hence why I put it on the website. :D  I agree, it's good sometimes to have supervision, at least someone else nearby who can come check on you every now and then or are in the same room and can see what's going on or you can ask for help.  Hummus with pitta bread is delicious.  :D

Toran I saw a TV documentary recently on fresh fruit and vegetables and they came to the conclusion that these are all much, much cheaper (and fresher) if you buy them from a street market.  This is provided you have the time for this and there is a street market within easy reach of your home.

Yeah and at farmers markets if you have one near you.  We have a farmers market in my city but it's only open on Saturday morning/early afternoon so I only have ever been once.. got a bag of peppers for $4 I think though.  I also find I spend less on fruits and vegetables if I go to one of the smaller shops that sell just fruits and vegetables.. I think it might be also because I don't end up buying non fruits and vegetables, but also because a lot of it is cheaper.  Though the organic produce is usually limited to the grocery stores and is more expensive usually which sucks.  But I do "good, better, best" and so if I can't get organic, I get what I can get and make the most of it. :)

Sofi
Yeah and at farmers markets if you have one near you.  We have a farmers market in my city but it's only open on Saturday morning/early afternoon so I only have ever been once.. got a bag of peppers for $4 I think though.  I also find I spend less on fruits and vegetables if I go to one of the smaller shops that sell just fruits and vegetables.. I think it might be also because I don't end up buying non fruits and vegetables, but also because a lot of it is cheaper.  Though the organic produce is usually limited to the grocery stores and is more expensive usually which sucks.  But I do "good, better, best" and so if I can't get organic, I get what I can get and make the most of it. :)

I like the idea of a farmers market too, or a green grocers shop would be cheaper than a supermarket too I think. There is an organic farm shop near my house too, which sells their locally grown vegetables. Local is better too as they are fresher too

Toran

Thats a really good idea there are a few markets reasonably close to where I live if I made the effort to go it would be a lot better snd your right the few times ive got them from a market they do certainly feel a lot fresher and taste better.

mary
That sounds a very good diet plan oakers I think I will try some of that myself it sounds really good. Have you gone back to your doctor about the weight gain isnt there any other medication that does the same thing but without that side effect.

Toran, they've been messing about with my medication for ages.  Nothing seems to suit.  I'm starting a new one on Friday to see if that helps with the pain and I'm wondering if it does, whether they might try and take me off one of the others.  I get fed up of swallowing tablets... I hate it in fact, but I seriously cannot cope with the pain when I am on nothing... it is so debilitating, even with pain meds :/

The weight thing I can cope with now that I am more aware of it.  When it's creeping on you don't realise it so much but I am aware now and I am determined to do something about it.  The healthier eating has been something I've been trying to do for some time, but I'm more determined now as it will help with possible side effects from the new medication.