Frankie

Autism Card?

Frankie

I had a perfect autism card that had 3 key points on it & REALLY helped me when I was talking to someone new who doesn't know about my AsPie, like for example at a ticket office or something, I could show card & they'll be a bit more understanding & helpful to me & helps me get out what needs to be said so other person understands.

Iv been having difficulty trying to get a new card, someone gave me one in a plastic wallet with lots of paper info but no one will want to take time to read all that plus the thing burst my actual wallet because it was too big! The one I lost was the same type as a bank card & liked it because it fitted into my wallet perfectly & had them 3 key points on it. I'll attach a picture of one the same as what I had.

Does anyone know how I can get another one?  I already emailed ScottishAutism.org about card but they never reply'd, I'm sure my card number was between 100 & 200, something like 158 I think? can't remember, I should be on their records because they gave me a proper plastic card a few years ago.

I feel the card was a life saver & need new one!

I think if the card was in a neon colour like neon pink or yellow they might not get lost as easy.

AutismUnrestricted

Hi, The only one that I can think of which may or may not be useful for you is the Autism Card from the National Autistic society. I have attached a picture of it below and here's the link to order it,

http://www.autism.org.uk/card

post-4753-0-62418300-1387699474_thumb.jp

Frankie

Hi, The only one that I can think of which may or may not be useful for you is the Autism Card from the National Autistic society. I have attached a picture of it below and here's the link to order it,

http://www.autism.org.uk/card

Iv got that one but its useless, its on a plastic wallet thing with paper bits inside with too much detail for people to read & they'll less likely read it. The white card I had before got straight to the point, fitted into my wallet & because it was plastic it wouldn't fall apart

Sofi

I have that NAS one but yes it's not very good and not to the point and I've got a Scottish Autism one as well that is better and has my name and address on it too. I don't know how I got it but my mum is a member of Scottish Autism so maybe it's because of that. They might email you back after Christmas.
I don't really use it much, sometimes my mum has used it in shops for me if there's a concession or something, but rarely. 

Willow

I'm going to be designing and making these in the New Year. I can't afford to do it for free, but they'll only be like...50p or something cheap like that. They'll be the quality of the Honorary Member Cards, so to anyone who has one of those, do you think that's good enough quality?

:)

• Helpful 3

Frankie

I have that NAS one but yes it's not very good and not to the point and I've got a Scottish Autism one as well that is better and has my name and address on it too. I don't know how I got it but my mum is a member of Scottish Autism so maybe it's because of that. They might email you back after Christmas.

I don't really use it much, sometimes my mum has used it in shops for me if there's a concession or something, but rarely. 

I found out I emailed the wrong email address when I went onto the Autism site when I started this topic

Frankie

I'm going to be designing and making these in the New Year. I can't afford to do it for free, but they'll only be like...50p or something cheap like that. They'll be the quality of the Honorary Member Cards, so to anyone who has one of those, do you think that's good enough quality?

What quality are the Honorary Members Cards? Are they like plastic bank card type cards? Paper ones bother me coz they get damaged too easy

Willow

What quality are the Honorary Members Cards? Are they like plastic bank card type cards? Paper ones bother me coz they get damaged too easy

They're coated card. So no not bank card quality. I'd struggle to afford that :(

I could technically do it, but I'd have a bigger initial outlay. So we'll have to see.

Sofi

Yay! :) That will be prettier.  Yes that's good enough quality, they are great.

the three sentences on the one up at the top of this is quite good idea.

Toran

I think they would probably be ok but it goes for anything really nothing lasts forever. If you put it in a credit card holder if thats the size then that would protect it maybe it could be laminated. Either way if the costs fifty pence and with reasonable care it should last a year or so at least so fifty pence every 12 to 18 months isnt an unreasonable ask is it.

Frankie

Yay! :) That will be prettier.  Yes that's good enough quality, they are great.

the three sentences on the one up at the top of this is quite good idea.

I think a bright neon colour would be good, I made prototype's of an updated version of the card up top of page, I also bought neon paper & folded it around a card to see how it looks, turned out great :D

I copied & updated the police bit, but that could just be another logo or something

I think they would probably be ok but it goes for anything really nothing lasts forever. If you put it in a credit card holder if thats the size then that would protect it maybe it could be laminated. Either way if the costs fifty pence and with reasonable care it should last a year or so at least so fifty pence every 12 to 18 months isnt an unreasonable ask is it.

Don't forget the postage! :P

post-4419-0-72570300-1387716014_thumb.jp

• Helpful 1

Frankie

meant to say, the neon pink looks the best for card to get noticed & not lost, but think some of the guys would have issues with the colour

Sofi

Those three sentences describe it almost perfectly  :)

• Helpful 1

Ben

They'll be the quality of the Honorary Member Cards, so to anyone who has one of those, do you think that's good enough quality?

I'd say so... It's probably cheap enough for someone to laminate theirs at the Post Office or something, if they feel they needed to. 

Frankie

I'd say so... It's probably cheap enough for someone to laminate theirs at the Post Office or something, if they feel they needed to. 

Someone made me a laminated version of a card trying to help but they were too big :( 

HalfFull

I think they would be more useful for people with more noticeable problems. I've never had one nor felt the need. The only times one would have almost been useful is when I got the impression that I had come across slightly rudely in my local shop where I go often, but I'd like to think that I can buy a few items in a shop without having to bring my AS to their attention. If I had panic attacks in a shop or railway station etc then it could be useful but I'm not affected that way. I know though that some Aspies do get into situations where it would help if people knew why certain behaviour had taken place.

Sofi

I think they would be more useful for people with more noticeable problems. I've never had one nor felt the need. The only times one would have almost been useful is when I got the impression that I had come across slightly rudely in my local shop where I go often, but I'd like to think that I can buy a few items in a shop without having to bring my AS to their attention. If I had panic attacks in a shop or railway station etc then it could be useful but I'm not affected that way. I know though that some Aspies do get into situations where it would help if people knew why certain behaviour had taken place.

Yes more useful for someone with more obvious problems or Autistic children. Even I've not really used mine much, my mum wouldn't want to bring Autism into it unless it was a big issue, I know when I was little we other things like this and used more often. 

I really worry about getting separated from my mum in a supermarket and I might appear like I'm worried and if someone speaks to me I might not reply so that might be a situation I would show it... if I remember. A few times I've showed it when paying for things in shops when I was a teenager and one time on a bus when I was having a panic attack and another time in a train station. 

AutismUnrestricted

Yes, I never had to use a card as yet. Although having one in the wallet is probably a good idea. Willow if you make some, I'd be interested.

Pinky and his brain

I think a bright neon colour would be good, I made prototype's of an updated version of the card up top of page, I also bought neon paper & folded it around a card to see how it looks, turned out great :D

I copied & updated the police bit, but that could just be another logo or something

Don't forget the postage! :P

If you make them on coloured paper then you should chose the green one.

The reason for that is that all other colours (red, orange and yellow) are "Alert" colours. Alert colours are meant to scare people to keep away from something or stop doing something. They symbolize Danger. We don't want people to be afraid, we want them to pay attention. The green one symbolizes calmness to most people.  "No danger, but please read this."

At least that's how I would chose. :)

• Helpful 1

Frankie

The way I used my old card was if I felt I was getting into difficulty I would pull it out & show them, would have been perfect on yesterday at cinema because she not have a clue what I was on about when it was just a ticket to see a film, it wasn't rocket science!lol! :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Nesf

I don't have one of these. I think I'd only use one if I thought I was going to be a danger to others or myself. My symptoms are mild most of the time and this is unlikely to happen on a day to day basis, but if I were ever involved in an emergency involving hospital or police I'd want them to know. Also, it may be useful for travelling as crowded public transport can cause me some problems.

Kuribo [old account]

I'll keep one with me when I'm more independent, because I don't trust police officers and Aspies are often mistaken for being drug addicts or having a guilty conscience because of their body language.

• Helpful 6

Frankie

I'll keep one with me when I'm more independent, because I don't trust police officers and Aspies are often mistaken for being drug addicts or having a guilty conscience because of their body language.

I totally agree

Geedee

I have a plastic credit-card style autism alert card issued by the Lothian and Borders Police for people living within that area.  I needed a reference from an approved autism authority – in my case Autism Initiatives – to be considered eligible for admission to the local police's database of autistic people living in the area. The card has contact details for the NAS and Autism Intitatives and logos of these organisatons as well as the police and NHS Scotland. If lost, the card should be returned to the police. Without the stamp of official approval, I think personally created autism cards rely on the individual's own credibility which could be challenged by strangers. 

• Helpful 2