Frankie

Autism Card?

Frankie

I think they would be more useful for people with more noticeable problems. I've never had one nor felt the need. The only times one would have almost been useful is when I got the impression that I had come across slightly rudely in my local shop where I go often, but I'd like to think that I can buy a few items in a shop without having to bring my AS to their attention. If I had panic attacks in a shop or railway station etc then it could be useful but I'm not affected that way. I know though that some Aspies do get into situations where it would help if people knew why certain behaviour had taken place.

The way I used my old card was if I felt I was getting into difficulty I would pull it out & show them, would have been perfect on yesterday at cinema because she not have a clue what I was on about when it was just a ticket to see a film, it wasn't rocket science!lol! :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Nesf

I don't have one of these. I think I'd only use one if I thought I was going to be a danger to others or myself. My symptoms are mild most of the time and this is unlikely to happen on a day to day basis, but if I were ever involved in an emergency involving hospital or police I'd want them to know. Also, it may be useful for travelling as crowded public transport can cause me some problems.

Kuribo [old account]

I'll keep one with me when I'm more independent, because I don't trust police officers and Aspies are often mistaken for being drug addicts or having a guilty conscience because of their body language.

Frankie

I'll keep one with me when I'm more independent, because I don't trust police officers and Aspies are often mistaken for being drug addicts or having a guilty conscience because of their body language.

I totally agree

Geedee

I have a plastic credit-card style autism alert card issued by the Lothian and Borders Police for people living within that area.  I needed a reference from an approved autism authority – in my case Autism Initiatives – to be considered eligible for admission to the local police's database of autistic people living in the area. The card has contact details for the NAS and Autism Intitatives and logos of these organisatons as well as the police and NHS Scotland. If lost, the card should be returned to the police. Without the stamp of official approval, I think personally created autism cards rely on the individual's own credibility which could be challenged by strangers. 

Frankie

I think personally created autism cards rely on the individual's own credibility which could be challenged by strangers. 

I agree with this, that plastic card was like my on board life ring which I could throw when I need to. Because I was issued an Autism card with an individual number pressed into it, I should still be on their records but Iv changed addresses since I got that last card

annalise_fox_ford

i am 13 would i be alowed a autism card for at school to explain to my teachers and when i am out and about?

:Sparky:

Frankie

Everyone on here is from Scotland it seems!

England & Wales too :)

Saveyourscissors

Everyone on here is from Scotland it seems!

It really does haha! You wouldn't think there were people from loads of different places and country's if you only read this topic hahah!