Frankie

Autism Card?

Frankie

this dose'nt bother you guys that they are praticaly handing you a lable card maybe i'm not seeing somthing you are.

I don't mind, as long as it helps me communicate in difficult situations.

grahamguitarman

this dose'nt bother you guys that they are praticaly handing you a lable card maybe i'm not seeing somthing you are.

Nope doesn't bother me at all - I applied for the card so why would I object?

They don't just hand them over, you have to apply for them, and they require medical proof that you actually are on the spectrum.  No-one is tattooing Aspergers on my forehead, or making me wear special badges!  It is a simple card that sits in my wallet along with my bank cards + library card etc - should I be worried that my library card marks me out as a book reader?.   The only way that anyone would even know it is there is if I told them, and that will only happen if I need someone to know.  

Not that I keep my ASD a big secret, I don't care who knows about me being Aspergers, because I am not ashamed of it and do not fear other peoples opinions!

If they start to insist that people carry autism cards, then yes there would be something to worry about.  But that is not happening in this country (the UK), there are no laws requiring people to carry ID cards of any kind.

I think you are seeing conspiracy theories where they simply do not exist.

Edited by grahamguitarman
  • Helpful 3

Toran

Nope doesn't bother me at all - I applied for the card so why would I object?

They don't just hand them over, you have to apply for them, and they require medical proof that you actually are on the spectrum.  No-one is tattooing Aspergers on my forehead, or making me wear special badges!  It is a simple card that sits in my wallet along with my bank cards + library card etc - should I be worried that my library card marks me out as a book reader?.   The only way that anyone would even know it is there is if I told them, and that will only happen if I need someone to know.  

Not that I keep my ASD a big secret, I don't care who knows about me being Aspergers, because I am not ashamed of it and do not fear other peoples opinions!

If they start to insist that people carry autism cards, then yes there would be something to worry about.  But that is not happening in this country (the UK), there are no laws requiring people to carry ID cards of any kind.

I think you are seeing conspiracy theories where they simply do not exist.

I agree totally the only time I would disagree with this is if you had to have one by law. As it is the cards help you and assist others in letting them know of my needs should the occasion arrise but so far I have had no need to show anyone. Its like a safty net its there if you need it but most of the time you dont even know its there.

Willow

My design for a card is finished, and I'm hoping to get them made soon (plastic, identical in weight, thickness etc. to a credit/debit card) but I'm waiting to hear back on the exact price. Minimum orders mean I'll be spending around £100 just to get these made and in stock, so I think the price is going to have to sit between £1.00 and £2.00 plus shipping.

Double sided, rounded corners and full colour: top section is the front, bottom is the back.

post-2-0-99035200-1389023366_thumb.png

• Helpful 3

Sofi

I have a NAS police one and a Scottish Autism one so far. I like this one better.

Willow

I'm going to be ordering these, hopefully today, after much messing around and ordering of sample packs. :)

• Helpful 2

Saveyourscissors

They look great Willow! I personally wouldn't have the confidence to carry one :( it would also be good maybe if like graham posted they had contact details? Just my take on it makes it useful to get next of kin/carer :)

StormCrow

This is the first time I've herd of a AA Card (when I saw Willows latest vid)

Saveyourscissors

I'm starting to see why I maybe would benefited from one of these. I just worry it will get into the wrong hands and my personal info get out to everybody.

Toran

I'm starting to see why I maybe would benefited from one of these. I just worry it will get into the wrong hands and my personal info get out to everybody.

That's the world we live in now unfortunately you have to balance this with your needs. Would it be better to have the card should you need it against the loss of this card or it's information. The world lives in fear now about this so you trust nobody it's no wonder we can't relate to people very well besides our personal issues everywhere you look there is somebody telling you not to trust anybody anyway.

Jaredis1

Is there something in the usa like this? for Aspergers, or can i make my own?

brookeloveslotr

I don't have an autism card. Rarely do I tell other people I have AS, unless I have a breakdown, and then they wonder why I got upset so I have to explain to them that I have Aspergers. I'm pretty good at just keeping it to myself.

Willow

Is there something in the usa like this? for Aspergers, or can i make my own?

I ship mine worldwide, or you can download it and print it.

Plastic Alert Card: http://www.willowhope.com/collections/resources/products/autistic-spectrum-alert-card

Printable Download: http://www.willowhope.com/products/autistic-spectrum-alert-card-printable-download

• Helpful 2

Ben

I might get a customized card made up of my own. On mine it will say:-

• I am allergic to chavy knobs and scummy mummy's who shout at each other on trains during peak times. It makes my tongue bleed. (Due to excessive biting.)
  • To pertain from above; if I am next to a fat cow on the train who's munching down her own bodyweight in Monster Munch, I get both irritable and develop uncontrollable teeth grinding habits. I have both hypersensitive hearing and hypersensitive smell. The sound of crunching, combined with the smell of pickled onion will drive me to insanity very quickly.
  • If somehow, I've been involved in an accident, and you're reading this whilst getting no response from me, then take me to a private hospital. The NHS are twenty five years out of date, and I'd like a shot at survival if it's okay by you.
  • I might stare at you. Usually because you have bright orange foundation lines, and I can't believe you left the house this morning thinking that looks good; what were you thinking?!
  • I talk to myself a lot. No, I'm not mad; it's just that you're boring, and talking to myself is much more fulfilling than listing to your Facebook 'rhetoric'.
  • If you have young children, please feel free to let them scream very loudly within close proximity, whist we're waiting in a busy cue at Sainsbury's. I'll love it, and I'll ask the lord to bless your wonderful children.
  • To pertain from above once more... For an aspie I'm incredibly sarcastic. 
  • Above all, I'm a nice guy. But think how noisy you sound to a guy who can hear an amoeba taking a leek. 

Yes... A card like that should clean up any misunderstandings. 

Actually... On second thought, I don't think it's the Aspergers that's the problem... I think I'm just a hostile, foul mouthed, intolerant, tosser. 

Oh well! Ha! Ha! 

• Helpful 8

Jaredis1

Hmm I'm thinking bout getting one willow! But how would I pay for it?

Willow

Hmm I'm thinking bout getting one willow! But how would I pay for it?

PayPal is the only payment method - you can use it whether you have an account or not, you just enter the details of whichever card you normally use.

• Helpful 1

Jaredis1

PayPal is the only payment method - you can use it whether you have an account or not, you just enter the details of whichever card you normally use.

thx you willow =D

Frankie

Iv tirelessly tried to get an exact replacement for my old Autism card, this is what Iv been told I'm getting(Cool that its Purple, my favourite colour) hope its plastic, not paper... 

ARGH%20front.png

ARGH%20back.png

• Helpful 1

furoshiki

Interesting discussion, I've had the NAS one for years and carry it all the time (worn out several).

The only times I ever use it is when stopped by the police or when I've gone for interviews or jobcentre etc. I ask if they'd like to photocopy it, especially if there is no or limited knowledge about us. I find trying to explain aspergers is really difficult and I especially hate the 'and how does it affect you?' question. I wonder if that would be asked if I had a physical disability.....

Willow's one is nice - possibly a bit girly for a middle aged man tho' .......

and it might clash with my hello kitty watch...............

• Helpful 3

Lukeage

Anybody know if there's something similar readily available in Australia?

As some have said - I'm in the same camp, I like Willow's, but it has a bit of a feminine twist to it!

I would like something like this or very similar to keep in my wallet/car now that I'm driving just in case I get pulled over for whatever reason.

(deleted)

Willow's one is nice - possibly a bit girly for a middle aged man tho' .......

and it might clash with my hello kitty watch...............

Umm... Hello Kitty watch for a middle aged man???

the-commander

can i trade it for a scitzophrenia or child savant card or make it evolve into a pikachu or is that not an option?

Edited by the-commander

furoshiki

Umm... Hello Kitty watch for a middle aged man???

it was a joke....

although... I do happen to own one, as I bought it (cheap) with the intention of re-selling it and then found out it wasn't worth any more than I'd paid for it...

c'est la vie!

I got a card from Willow a couple of weeks ago and I'm pleased with it, haven't had the opportunity to present it to anyone yet 'tho

OliveOilMom

Why not write your own and take it to have laminated?  You could put whatever you wanted to on it and also have several made at once in case you lose one.  Another thing that might help out is if you have enough problems with your communication skills to where you need a card, you could actually write up a small trifold pamphlet about autism and how it impacts you and run off about 100 of them and keep a few with you to hand out to those you encounter and show your card to.  You could give them that and say something like "This explains my autism a little more and you might want to take it with you to read later".  You could also have links on there to information on the internet about autism.  I'd guess that people would be more interested in learning more about a disorder after meeting someone who has it.  

In the media the usually show low functioning kids when they need an autistic character in a show or movie, and I haven't really seen any very good portrayals of AS in the media really, so maybe meeting someone with it can open people's eyes to how big and varied the spectrum itself actually is.  I think the major thing that people need to learn is that we are not all alike.  Even those of us who function at the same level have very different symptoms and experiences with our autism.  

As for the colors, that the poster above me mentioned, I'd go with bright yellow.  While it can signify danger or caution, it usually indicates "This is something you should pay attention to".  I remember when I worked at a grocery store years ago there was a deaf mute guy who came in and he would always hand a similar card to anyone who was trying to interact with him.  It explained that he was deaf and mute and that he could read lips but you needed to look at him and speak clearly and enunciate when you spoke so he would have an easier time reading your lips.  On the back was the sign language alphabet.  It was pretty cool and over time lots of the cashiers learned to spell things out in sign language to him.  I remember I did that with him too.  We were all so proud of ourselves for learning to do that and he would watch our hands and smile indulgently sort of like an adult would if a child was showing off what they learned to him lol.  He would encourage us to keep trying and show us when we made a mistake in how we formed the letters and seemed interested in our efforts.  It made us want to make more of an effort to communicate with him and even engage him in small talk once we found out what was wrong with him and he showed us how to talk to him.  I'm sure it was pretty boring for him to have to stand there and watch a bunch of gals trying really hard to spell out a sentence, but he was polite and patient with us.  That went a long way toward opening up communication.  I do wonder if he's still giving out those cards because I imagine that it is pretty tiring for him to have to deal with people suddenly wanting to make small talk with him because we can.  Especially when we had to spell out every word, and to be honest, some of those girls couldn't spell for anything.  

• Helpful 2