Frankie

Autism Card?

Lukeage

Anybody know if there's something similar readily available in Australia?

As some have said - I'm in the same camp, I like Willow's, but it has a bit of a feminine twist to it!

I would like something like this or very similar to keep in my wallet/car now that I'm driving just in case I get pulled over for whatever reason.

(deleted)

Willow's one is nice - possibly a bit girly for a middle aged man tho' .......

and it might clash with my hello kitty watch...............

Umm... Hello Kitty watch for a middle aged man???

the-commander

can i trade it for a scitzophrenia or child savant card or make it evolve into a pikachu or is that not an option?

Edited by the-commander

furoshiki

Umm... Hello Kitty watch for a middle aged man???

it was a joke....

although... I do happen to own one, as I bought it (cheap) with the intention of re-selling it and then found out it wasn't worth any more than I'd paid for it...

c'est la vie!

I got a card from Willow a couple of weeks ago and I'm pleased with it, haven't had the opportunity to present it to anyone yet 'tho

OliveOilMom

Why not write your own and take it to have laminated?  You could put whatever you wanted to on it and also have several made at once in case you lose one.  Another thing that might help out is if you have enough problems with your communication skills to where you need a card, you could actually write up a small trifold pamphlet about autism and how it impacts you and run off about 100 of them and keep a few with you to hand out to those you encounter and show your card to.  You could give them that and say something like "This explains my autism a little more and you might want to take it with you to read later".  You could also have links on there to information on the internet about autism.  I'd guess that people would be more interested in learning more about a disorder after meeting someone who has it.  

In the media the usually show low functioning kids when they need an autistic character in a show or movie, and I haven't really seen any very good portrayals of AS in the media really, so maybe meeting someone with it can open people's eyes to how big and varied the spectrum itself actually is.  I think the major thing that people need to learn is that we are not all alike.  Even those of us who function at the same level have very different symptoms and experiences with our autism.  

As for the colors, that the poster above me mentioned, I'd go with bright yellow.  While it can signify danger or caution, it usually indicates "This is something you should pay attention to".  I remember when I worked at a grocery store years ago there was a deaf mute guy who came in and he would always hand a similar card to anyone who was trying to interact with him.  It explained that he was deaf and mute and that he could read lips but you needed to look at him and speak clearly and enunciate when you spoke so he would have an easier time reading your lips.  On the back was the sign language alphabet.  It was pretty cool and over time lots of the cashiers learned to spell things out in sign language to him.  I remember I did that with him too.  We were all so proud of ourselves for learning to do that and he would watch our hands and smile indulgently sort of like an adult would if a child was showing off what they learned to him lol.  He would encourage us to keep trying and show us when we made a mistake in how we formed the letters and seemed interested in our efforts.  It made us want to make more of an effort to communicate with him and even engage him in small talk once we found out what was wrong with him and he showed us how to talk to him.  I'm sure it was pretty boring for him to have to stand there and watch a bunch of gals trying really hard to spell out a sentence, but he was polite and patient with us.  That went a long way toward opening up communication.  I do wonder if he's still giving out those cards because I imagine that it is pretty tiring for him to have to deal with people suddenly wanting to make small talk with him because we can.  Especially when we had to spell out every word, and to be honest, some of those girls couldn't spell for anything.  

StormCrow

Iv tirelessly tried to get an exact replacement for my old Autism card, this is what Iv been told I'm getting(Cool that its Purple, my favourite colour) hope its plastic, not paper... 

ARGH%20front.png

ARGH%20back.png

That's exactly what I wanted, it's plain and says what needs to be said with as few words as possible, and the acronym is Argh!.

Sorry Willow, but there are to many colors for me, I like the highlighted words, but only one color for all.

I like black and white, red highlights and maybe some simple color logo. 

Inactive User

Where do you get the autism cards from? Please message me

sarah allen

In my opinion I rather not have a autism / aspergers card because of how people would treat me differently I have high functioning aspergers so to me I don't have that struggle in that particular area in social or emotional I am able to talk to others if I do need the help.