aspiesw

Famous people with Asperger's Syndrome

aspiesw

Some people with Aspergers have gone on to do amazing things. Which famous people do you know who have Asperger's Syndrome. Courtney Love is a famous actress with Asperger's Syndrome

Peridot

I know Ladyhawke. Her music anyways. It's cool. Alfred Hitchcock, they say, was also someone with AS.

King_oni

It always makes me wonder with these "famous" people; I guess there's something that made their condition bearable and workable up to the point where they could start a viable career perhaps while even attending college and learn the skills you need or even finding the right friends to start a band. 

Perhaps I'm just biased and annoyed over my personal situation where people just get on my back and it just feels they want to stress me out deliberately so I fail any personal endeavors. Which makes me wonder all the more that if you're not being able to hold a job you're kinda doomed to exist rather than live.

Ok... I'll end my rant and get of my soapbox now.

Nesf

I wasn't aware Courtney Love was on the spectrum so I looked for any sources on that and found this list on wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_people_with_autism_spectrum_disorders

I wonder how many of these people have been officially diagnosed? With a most of them it's just speculation. People say Bill Gates has it, but I don't think he has been diagnosed. Gary Newman and Steven Spielberg, too.

It always makes me wonder with these "famous" people; I guess there's something that made their condition bearable and workable up to the point where they could start a viable career perhaps while even attending college and learn the skills you need or even finding the right friends to start a band. 

Perhaps I'm just biased and annoyed over my personal situation where people just get on my back and it just feels they want to stress me out deliberately so I fail any personal endeavors. Which makes me wonder all the more that if you're not being able to hold a job you're kinda doomed to exist rather than live.

Ok... I'll end my rant and get of my soapbox now.

I wonder more about actors... to be a good actor you need to be able to master body language and tone of voice to fit the role you are playing, something difficult for an AS person to achieve... unless you are playing a role with similar characteristics to yourself. Also you need to empathise, put yourself into the shoes of the other person and imagine what it is like to be them and act like them, another area of difficulty fo many on the spectrum.

NeuroRubyDiversity93

Tim Page – Writer and Pulitzer prize-winning music critic.

Susan Boyle – Scottish singer and former runner-up of Britain’s Got Talent.  

Gary McKinnon – Scottish systems administrator notable for hacking up to 97 NASA and US Military computer systems. His primary objective was to seek out corroborations of a UFO cover-up, free energy suppression and anti-gravity engineering.

Dawn Prince Hughes – Primate Anthropologist, author ethnologist. She has a PhD in interdisciplinary anthropology.

John Elder Robison – Neurodiversity activist, savant, engineer, innovator and author of "Look Me in the Eye" (2007).

Daniel Tammet – British writer, prodigious savant and synaesthete. He is well noted for reciting pi up to 22,514 digits in five hours and nine minutes in March 2004, and has also reportedly learned ten languages, including Icelandic Gaelic, Welsh, and Romanian which he learned in a week.

Ladyhawke (Phillipa Brown) – New Zealand songwriter, multi-instrumentalist and alternative rock/pop musician.

Gary Numan – English singer, composer and musician. This is an alleged “self-diagnosis” as he has never been medically diagnosed to date.

Clay Marzo – Professional surfer well-known for double-jointed style of spins and turns. His creative preoccupation with surfing in childhood was clearly ascribed to AS. He volunteers with "Surfers Healing", a non-profit organization from Malibu, California, which teaches children on the autistic spectrum to surf at camps in the United States and Canada.

James Durbin – Former American Idol finalist.

Paddy Considine – Actor, film director, screenwriter, and musician. He also has a visual perception condition called Iren’s syndrome.

Heather Kuzmich – Fashion model and former “America’s Next Top Model” contestant.

Craig Nicholls – He is the frontman for the Australian alternative rock band, The Vines.

Jerry Newport – Author, and mathematical calculations savant. He won four of ten events, a second and a third and the World Cup Trophy for "Most Versatile Calculator” at the Mental Calculation World Cup in 2010.

Satoshi Tajiri – Acclaimed video game designer and creator of the Pokémon franchise.

Vernon L Smith – PhD, Professor of economics at Chapman University's Argyros School of Business and Economics. He is well known for being a Nobel laureate (Nobel memorial prize) in Economic sciences.

Edited by NeuroRubyDiversity93

Xmas

I have heard it suggested the fictional character of Sherlock Holmes had ASD. I Googled Sherlock/Asperger's and found a website that vigorously denied that he has ASD and gave a detailed analysis as to why not. A lot of trouble for a character that does not exist I thought.

On the subject of actors. I find it relatively easy to get into a role of another character and pretend. We shouldn't rule out all actors just because 'they can do facial expressions' I live my life by acting like a different character in different situations. No, empathy does not come spontaeneously but if I am conciously 'being' another person then I can feel their emotions. Acting covers up my insecurities. I think it is not true that 'Aspies don't feel empathy' I think it just slightly malfunctions. Sometimes we feel so much that it is overload. So, actors could have Aspergers.