aspiesw

Obsessed with people?

PandaPrincess

I get obsessed with people A LOT and it's really debilitating.  Right now I am obsessed with someone I am crushing on, and I hate it because I can't stop thinking about them, and I get upset when they don't show up at school, and I spend a lot of time just creeping on their facebook page.  I've managed to become friends with this person, but it is really hard to keep my obsession in check.  I try to act casual when I'm around this person, but I'm not sure how well I'm doing.  I read in a social anxiety forum one time that people there get obsessed with other people, so this could happen to people who aren't on the spectrum as well.  I think it has to do with how we lack strong social connections, so we fantasize about one in our heads, even though we might not know the person very well.  I think the best solution is just to talk to more people and make a lot of friends, but I know that this is pretty hard to do, being an aspie.   :(

null

I get obsessed with people A LOT and it's really debilitating.  Right now I am obsessed with someone I am crushing on, and I hate it because I can't stop thinking about them, and I get upset when they don't show up at school, and I spend a lot of time just creeping on their facebook page.  I've managed to become friends with this person, but it is really hard to keep my obsession in check.  I try to act casual when I'm around this person, but I'm not sure how well I'm doing.  I read in a social anxiety forum one time that people there get obsessed with other people, so this could happen to people who aren't on the spectrum as well.  I think it has to do with how we lack strong social connections, so we fantasize about one in our heads, even though we might not know the person very well.  I think the best solution is just to talk to more people and make a lot of friends, but I know that this is pretty hard to do, being an aspie.   :(

I'm the same - I often get obsessed with people I fancy. In fact, I think I begin to fall for people too quickly. I think you've got a good point about fantasising about social connections too. Often I've found myself really falling for people when I haven't even met them, just my idea of what meeting them could be like. I think you're right that talking to more people and connecting with people is a good solution

ponz

This topic made me think of this article, which I read a while back, because I wanted to understand people's fascination with celebrities, which I don't have. I think the article is talking about more severe cases of obsession, and Celebrity Worship Syndrome seems to be more along the lines of stalkers, not fans, so the article probably isn't significantly relevant here. XD

I do get infatuated with fictional (anime) characters, and sometimes spend time looking up photos and learning more about them, but it's always short lived. I'm obsessed with people overall, though, since my special interest is human emotion, human behavior and human interaction. ^__^

Edited by ponz

aspiesw

I just tweeted my favourite youtuber Lily Melrose how much I look up to her and how much of a role model she is to me, and now I'm shitting myself, lol :/