blacktiger911

The cure to aspergers

blacktiger911

If they found the cure to aspergers. somthing that was painless, fast, easy, and cured you of aspergers overnight and you could live your life like everybody elce without.

Would you do it?

My awnser no. it difines me and it is infused with my hert and soul. I tresher it even though it can be hard somtimes. I cant explane it much further than that.

King_oni

No, I wouldn't do so because it brings with it a lot of other complications.

My personality is shaped by it, but not just that... it's my past that is defined by it as well. I'm somewhat glad I found an explanation why my life went the direction it went. Besides if I could magically make my AS disappear I'd probably end up with a few other disorders that are still present, just not overly present.

So I don't think just "erasing" AS out of me will fix a lot. I would still be a drop out with no job experience, odd interests and a psych file that warrants enough issues. 

I've had this discussion with a therapist where I asked "what if it could be cured"... and he told; it wouldn't change a lot for you at this point in life. Perhaps if you were a teenager, it would, since you could enroll in all kinds of programs that might've been easier without being on the spectrum, but as an adult there's only limited support for someone in your situation regardless of your condition.

the strangest man

I've heard it said you can cure any individual with Aspergers, just put them in a room by themselves.

That's not meant to belittle any of us on the spectrum, but to make the point that you can't cure the individual but you can 'cure' the environment they live and work within. When my wife told my father-in-law I often leave church straight after the service rather than staying to talk over coffee his reply was that I must be lonely, but I'm not not; I enjoy the solitude it provides. There are times when I do stay to talk over coffee, esp. to 'correct' the preacher :-), but with my diagnosis I now realise I can take myself off without thinking to myself that I'm being rude to other people, and forcing myself to hang around when I don't feel like it.

Nesf

No, I don't want to be 'cured', I want to be accepted and understood by those without AS.

aspiesw

I couldn't ever envisage there being a cure. Being aspergers is intertwined into everything I do, I wouldn't be the same person if I didn't have aspergers. It's a hard one to answer

Edited by aspiesw

I've heard it said you can cure any individual with Aspergers, just put them in a room by themselves.

Haha. That isn't true but funny. I at the moment would say yes but I would really like to get to the point where I would say no. If you get me :)

Saveyourscissors

This is not logical there is no way that could happen without a major operation to re-wire your brain (which would never be possible) :)
(I think to literally and logically)

But either way no I wouldn't, I completely disagree with anyone who thinks there needs to be a cure. 

It would be nice to get rid of the social/sensory issues though @Saveyourscissors You could keep your cool bits of Aspieness and get rid of the annoying parts.