blacktiger911

The cure to aspergers

Saveyourscissors

It would be nice to get rid of the social/sensory issues though @Saveyourscissors You could keep your cool bits of Aspieness and get rid of the annoying parts.

I disagree, I like not being a social person (: I'm happy spending my time with Josh mainly :) I don't think my sensory issues are a bad thing either, it just means I have super hearing and sometimes I can't deal with it but there are ear defenders for that or ear plugs so problem solved and you can put your hands over your ears if need be. I don't like to be touched and I wouldn't change that either way. It would still be new to me and I'm happy with only being touched by Josh :) It would also be all or nothing if there was a 'way to not have AS/ASD' any more.

My Partner (:

Oh you lucky thing :)  I think if I was settled like you then I wouldn't mind being bonkers :P

Babadakad

No  I wouldn't. I am who I am and Aspergers is a part of that.

grahamguitarman

I sometimes wish i could get rid of my sensory issues - but then I remember that it is those same sensory issues that make me such a talented artist.  Perhaps it is impossible to have the best bits without bad bits to counterbalance those gifts, and I'm kinda ok with that.

I think when they came up with the stereotype of the 'Suffering Artist' they must have been looking at Aspergers though lol.  

Right now I'm having a hard time, a lot of issues making my life very stressful, which in turn makes me feel like my Aspergers is worse right now.  But even then I don't particularly care for a cure to simply being me :)

King_oni

You could keep your cool bits of Aspieness and get rid of the annoying parts.

But who decides what the cool bits are?

I don't really suffer from the negative effects as social anxiety as much (at least compared to some other aspies on this and some other forums). It's the cool bits (well, what I consider the cool bits) that people and the general education and job system have a problem with. And because I care for them enough, perhaps due to my Aspergers (and a bit of a narcissistic personality disorder; I don't want to part with them; and effectively part with myself), that's the issue by itself for me.

This is not logical there is no way that could happen without a major operation to re-wire your brain (which would never be possible) :)

(I think to literally and logically)

But either way no I wouldn't, I completely disagree with anyone who thinks there needs to be a cure. 

Well... I wouldn't be surprised if at some point in the future they will get to brainwashing techniques to wipe someones personality and he/she has to start becoming a "new" person all over.

That's also what worries me, because I can totally see such intervention happening just for the sake of it being an experiment to see how hardwired autism actually is and it's possible to clear out an entire brain and start all over. Ethical... in no possible way, but probably quite possible in the future.

But hey... I like my sci-fi, so I might be a bit ahead of time, lol.

But who decides what the cool bits are?

I don't really suffer from the negative effects as social anxiety as much (at least compared to some other aspies on this and some other forums). It's the cool bits (well, what I consider the cool bits) that people and the general education and job system have a problem with. And because I care for them enough, perhaps due to my Aspergers (and a bit of a narcissistic personality disorder; I don't want to part with them; and effectively part with myself), that's the issue by itself for me.

Well... I wouldn't be surprised if at some point in the future they will get to brainwashing techniques to wipe someones personality and he/she has to start becoming a "new" person all over.

That's also what worries me, because I can totally see such intervention happening just for the sake of it being an experiment to see how hardwired autism actually is and it's possible to clear out an entire brain and start all over. Ethical... in no possible way, but probably quite possible in the future.

But hey... I like my sci-fi, so I might be a bit ahead of time, lol.

I am scared of the future anyway. I wish they would stop inventing things and discovering things. I am happy the way things are [a cure for cancer would be nice though]

Toran

I am scared of the future anyway. I wish they would stop inventing things and discovering things. I am happy the way things are [a cure for cancer would be nice though]

Well said we dont need more rediculas inventions but health cures we do need a lot of more of those.

Pinky and his brain

I guess I am the odd ball then. Because I would totally like to get rid of all my AS related problems. I have never really had any benefit from it, so why would I want to keep it.

Yes, it defines who I am. But who am I? Nobody. I don't do anything cool, I can't do anything cool, I just waste my time. I have lost all my dreams, there's just nothing left. So a complete reset would be OK with me, if it meant that I would get a better chance in life.

Well better stop this. Thinking of life always makes me totally depressed. Just like Monty Python, "life's a piece of shit, when you look at it". :(