blacktiger911

The cure to aspergers

MrGrey

I like having the ability to focus and over analyse stuff to hell and back.  When something is broken and nobody can fix it, i'm usually the one to find why it's broken, and what needs to be done to fix.  

Sadly, I can't turn this ability on and off at will.  If the problem is of no interest to me, I can't do nothing.  But when my super aspie ability turns on, is like magic!  I love it and would never change it for anything.

King_oni

I like having the ability to focus and over analyse stuff to hell and back.  When something is broken and nobody can fix it, i'm usually the one to find why it's broken, and what needs to be done to fix.  

Sadly, I can't turn this ability on and off at will.  If the problem is of no interest to me, I can't do nothing.  But when my super aspie ability turns on, is like magic!  I love it and would never change it for anything.

Heh... same here.

It's the upsides that come with being on the spectrum that make it (and presumably me) interesting. The downsides; meh... how much does anyone suffer from the downsides. We're all different and therefore we don't all suffer equally. I'm no social butterfly but I'm probably more social and have less social anxiety than some on the aspie forums I visit.

Shōnen Bat

How about a best-of-both-worlds button which could be switched on/off giving you "instant access NT mode" for the duration you needed it for.  Then you could turn it off again to recharge the batteries while you enjoy your natural autistic self.

Beta blockers? I hear good things about propanalol (except the nightmares). Or benzodiazepines? Admittedly a switch that left the brain working at full capacity would be nice.

I don't think the aspergers could be removed without a fundamental change to the person, my impression is that its not something that lies on top of an otherwise perfectly normal brain but a more fundamental difference in the "wiring".

Its a concept I find hard to understand, what frame of referance could you possibly use to make such a choice? I have no idea if being more interested in cars or anything else is in any way better than my current interests but a change that fundamental would mean it wasn't really me anymore so I suppose its a moot point.

Nintendo2

No I would not be myself even though there a fair number of challenges with having AS there are some real advantages  to it as well. So if possible and I got the cure I would not be me.

Edited by Nintendo2

Asparagus

If I didn't have AS, I'd hope someone'd find a "cure" so I did have it.

Rich07

I disagree with the statement that Aspergers needs a cure, people should embrace diversity in society. Moreover, some of the greatest minds in history may of had aspergers; i.e. Albert Einstein, Nikola Tesla etc. People with unique minds are important and not a hindrance to society. 

Nesf

How about a best-of-both-worlds button which could be switched on/off giving you "instant access NT mode" for the duration you needed it for.  Then you could turn it off again to recharge the batteries while you enjoy your natural autistic self.

I really need such a button for when I do private tuition or when I have to deal with the parents of the kids I teach. I find it very hard going. I don't mind not having a social life, but need to work in order to eat! I wish I could have another job without so much person to person contact.

Toran

There should be research to find a cure urgently and a lot more funding needed to be invested. While I'm not ashamed and stand up for my rights as an Aspie it still has devistating effects to our lives and others around us. If there is ever a cure then I for one will be taking it and think all children diagnosed early should have it like other inoculations.

Harsh I don't think so when children suffer do you stand back and watch them or help them feel better?

Kuribo [old account]

There should be research to find a cure urgently and a lot more funding needed to be invested. While I'm not ashamed and stand up for my rights as an Aspie it still has devistating effects to our lives and others around us. If there is ever a cure then I for one will be taking it and think all children diagnosed early should have it like other inoculations.

Harsh I don't think so when children suffer do you stand back and watch them or help them feel better?

Aspergers is not an exclusively negative state. There are positives and negatives to it, and I for one am grateful for the insight being an Aspie has (directly or otherwise) given me at such an early stage in life.

While it saddens me that you think in this way, I'm not going to argue with you over whether or not you should take a "cure" if one were ever found, as this is a very personal viewpoint and attempting to change it would be an insult to your intelligence and experience. However, I take exception to your belief that young children should be forced against their will to remove something that is undeniably an intrinsic part of their personality.

Without it, I would not be who I am. If I were no longer me, then it'd be safe to consider me dead and replaced by somebody else.

While there are disadvantages to being an Aspie, there are positive aspects, and much of the suffering we and other unusual individuals face is inflicted upon us by an intolerant and judgemental society. Removing diversity rather than integrating it into society would only exacerbate this problem.

Toran

Aspergers is not an exclusively negative state. There are positives and negatives to it, and I for one am grateful for the insight being an Aspie has (directly or otherwise) given me at such an early stage in life.

While it saddens me that you think in this way, I'm not going to argue with you over whether or not you should take a "cure" if one were ever found, as this is a very personal viewpoint and attempting to change it would be an insult to your intelligence and experience. However, I take exception to your belief that young children should be forced against their will to remove something that is undeniably an intrinsic part of their personality.

Without it, I would not be who I am. If I were no longer me, then it'd be safe to consider me dead and replaced by somebody else.

While there are disadvantages to being an Aspie, there are positive aspects, and much of the suffering we and other unusual individuals face is inflicted upon us by an intolerant and judgemental society. Removing diversity rather than integrating it into society would only exacerbate this problem.

I respect your opinion but my own child trying to take her life takes presidence. If she could be cured and feel normal whatever that is maybe she wouldn't self harm and feel better dead.

Each should make their own decision but when it's your own daughter how can you do anything other than try to help