aspies13

please help with my big problem

aspies13

i am 13 almost 14 now and have aspergers.  this is really embarrassing for me to talk about but i really need help, I have always had really bad gas since i was a baby due to parts of my aspergers but it is really bad now.  my tummy hurts really bad, giving me cramps, pressure, and really bad aches and pains.  which it has to some extent my whole life but it is worse now.  sometimes it hurts so bad it makes me want to cry and i feel like I have to Toot but cant.  I will lay down and strain as hard as I can but cant toot any.  i usually eventually am able to toot a little bit and make it feel a little better but it is getting in the way of my life where i cant go play with friends or anything because my tummy will start hurting.  my mommy has tried changing what i eat and tried giving me some medicines and stuff but it doesnt help any.  I am still able to toot some sometimes but i feel like i am full of bubbles and just cant get the toots out.  mommy says that alot of other kids like me also have bad gas so i was wondering what everybody else does to get their toots out, how can i make my tummy feel better, what can i do that will make me be able to toot.  and what do you do at school if your tummy hurts or if you have to toot because it really embarrasses me to toot around my friends so i try to hold it in.  i try going to the bathroom to let out my toots but by the time i get there i cant let them out anymore. please give me advice on how to make my toots come out and make my tummy better

thank you

Edited by aspies13

Chicken_55

It sounds as though you have irritable bowel syndrome, which is made worse by nerves and certain foods such as wheat based starch.

I used to get this all the time, but peppermint oil capsules cured it forever. Take one or two twenty minutes before a meal.

AutismUnrestricted

Hi aspies13, sorry to hear about your problem. I suffered from exactly the same thing when I was young, I recently discovered its a medical condition called IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome) It is extremely painful, I remember rolling on the floor and bed holding my tummy crying for hours as the pain was so bad and when it happened at school, I would disrupt the whole class for some time. It stopped being so bad as I grew up, however if I don't eat on time or eat too much after a long gap, I still get it and it hurts. I would advise you to go to a Doctor and explain your symptoms, they may be able to help you manage the pain better and also help with treatment. Good luck!

aspies13

autism unrestricted-my mommy actually wondered this as well, and asked my doctor about this a long time ago, and my doctor said that I did not have this, that my gas is from my aspergers.  yet she didnt have any suggestions on how to get my toots out.  when your tummy would hurt would you be able to get any toots out?

Edited by aspies13

AutismUnrestricted

Sometimes for me painkillers like paracetamol or herbal windsettler tablets from tescos help. I can't say how effective that will be for you but good luck! Also what Chicken_55 said above that these symptoms can get worse by wheat based starch, in my case I noticed these pains after drinking milk, apparently my body didn't have casein required to digest milk and caused the pains, I'm not sure what it is for you. Peppermint oil capsules as advised by Chicken also sounds like a good idea. Good luck

spiderwoman0_2

I think the best thing you can do is talk to your parents and get them to take you to the doctors, you can write down all your symptoms and maybe you should keep a food diary just to see if the pain is better or worse after certain foods.  Make sure you drink plenty of water and none of that fizzy crap.  It might be that your digestive system is a bit slow, but none of us here can diagnose you with anything because we're not professionals.  Don't be embarrassed to go to the doctors, they have heard it all and it doesn't bother them what it is, after all it's their job to take care of people. 

P.S.  Anyone can suffer with gas, it has nothing to do with Aspergers.

iggy

I would agree with everyone else that you should definitely go and see your doctors again, particularly if it has been a long time since you saw them about it. If it is definitely something to do with aspergers, could it be linked to anxiety? If you have a lot of anxiety, it can give you stomach aches (I know this from personal experience) However, the stomach aches I have from anxiety don't produce gas. 

Heather

Hey! I think the others are right and you should probably see the doctors again.. but I just wanted to say that it does sound kind of like IBS to me I think, though I have been lucky not to have this, my boyfriend has it.  His symptoms used to be worse I think and can still flare up sometimes if he eats too late or eats when he's anxious.  He cut out milk a few years ago because he realized it was worse when he drank milk, and he became vegan (though you don't have to go this far, but it can sometimes help with loads of health issues, I'm vegan now too).

Maybe you can talk with your parents about trying to cut out certain other things..especially common allergens like milk, gluten, nuts.. cause it could be linked to an allergy type thing.  Also I don't know how strict your family is with meal times, and whether you are allowed to eat late but eating too close to sleeping might cause you to feel icky too.  And extra stress can cause unpleasant feelings too.

I don't know if this helps, but if it's confusing, just look at the other posts above this one and ignore this one, I don't want to confuse you.

Kuribo [old account]

I think you should speak to a professional again, but definitely not the doctor who claimed that this was a result of your Aspergers, because it has nothing to do with this.

aspies13

there are a few other kids that go to my school that have aspergers and they all have gas too and everybody my mommy has talked to has said that the aspergers makes me more gassy than normal due to how it effects my nerves and anxious, and i know when i am really anxious it makes me toot more.  we have talked to the doctors every time i go but they always say things like try gas x or things like that, and we tried changing my diet and stuff but nothing made any difference.  several doctors have said that it is normal for me to have gas due to my aspergers and that the only way to help is to get the gas out but they dont have any answers as to how to get the gas out.  mommy says that sometimes the bubbles get trapped and thats why i cant toot but she doesn't know how to make the bubbles become untrapped so i can toot them out.