MrGrey

"You can't do that" - Cutting the wings of an Aspie

MrGrey

We aspies, we are dreamers.  We imagine the most amazing stuff.  Often, we challenge the established schools of thought and think about what's possible, regardless of what others think.

People once thought the world was flat, but it wasn't.

People once thought we couldn't make flying machines, but we did.

People once thought the moon was unreachable, but we got there.

I remember my old days at school, in chemistry class.  The teacher was explaining some chemistry history, saying how people first believe that the smallest particle was the molecule.  Then people discovered the atom, and later the protons, neutrons and electrons.  And there he said that those (protons, neutrons and electrons), were finally the smallest particles.  And I challenged... "What if there's something smaller?  What if we are wrong, just like those before us who believed in the molecule, or the atom, as the smallest particles possible?"

My teacher laughed, and ridiculed me.  Many decades later, I sit down on my couch, reading an articles about "neutrinos" and other subatomic particles.  I wish I knew where my old teacher is right now, to show him the article and say "In your face!".

But the sad part is, I keep finding this defeated mentality on an every day basis.  A mechanic who tells you "it's cheaper to trow away the car and get a new one", even tho a new car is thousands of dollars, and repairing the old one is just a few hundreds.  Or a "computer expert" who tells you you can't run a website on your home connection, even tho your home connection happens to be a premium one, that is faster than a hosted dedicated one.  

I often wonder, why most people limit themselves and place this invisible barriers that holds them back from achieving what's truly possible.  Thankfully, not everybody falls for it.  Every once in a while, somebody comes along and challenges everything, effectively changing the world.  Think about how your life would be without electricity, without cars, without communications.  All those were barriers that somebody challenged, barriers that were broken and we can now enjoy all these new technologies.

I guess, the point I'm trying to make is, never limit yourself to what's possible just because somebody tells you that "it can't be done".  True, sometimes it really can't be done.  But I've found that more often than not, if there's a will there's a way.  You just have to try and never give up.

• Helpful 3

Smithy The Wizard

I agree, a lot of things that are said to be impossible can be proven to be completely possible. Faster than light travel, force fields, light sabers, warp drives, holograms, flying cars and all sorts of other crazy sounding ideas. Those are all within our known laws of physics, and therefor possible. It will just take some time to get to making these ^ and those other things. I don't really like it when someone says that's impossible, because it most likely isn't.

spiderwoman0_2

Well I hope I'm still alive when they really do have food replicators in every home :D and transporters. :D

• Helpful 2

MrGrey

I would like to make another example of how people limit themselves for no reason:

This morning I went to visit my brother.  When I got there, he was assembling a new computer desk and a new computer he bought, to replace my nephew's old PC/Desk.  So I helped him out and at the end he told the boy "it's ready, go try it out".  My nephew, who loves to play at MY home with MY gaming PC, asked if it was possible to have 2 monitors.  My brother replied "we can't do that".  I was surprised.  I ask my brother if he had any plans for the old PC.  He said "nope, actually you can take it if you have any use for it".  So I took the monitor of the old PC, which was the same size as the new one, and just connected it to the new PC on an available video port.  "There, a dual monitor system", I said.

It took my brother a some time to realize how wrong he was a few minutes before.  "I should have thought of that" he said.  

blacktiger911

for me there are are only things that get in the way it is not too often i get stuck. i will think as i wish dream the impossible and most ridicules and do all that i can in life. rules that hold you down from being "free" are meant to be broken. through out history this has been done so i will to.

spread your wings and fly no matter the ropes that hold you down, for they can be removed!

• Helpful 1

Spiderman0_2

@Smithy have you heard of the Alcubierre drive? It is a theoretical warp drive, in it space is compressed in front of the vessel and expanded behind it (to put it simply).(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcubierre_drive)

As for replicators, that I think is just an extension of 3D printing (just read that a Jet flew with parts made by a 3D printer).

The only thing we are limited by is our imagination, most thing that can be imagined can likely be achieved. Its just about working out how to do it :)

the strangest man

I agree, a lot of things that are said to be impossible can be proven to be completely possible. Faster than light travel, force fields, light sabers, warp drives, holograms, flying cars and all sorts of other crazy sounding ideas. Those are all within our known laws of physics, and therefor possible. It will just take some time to get to making these ^ and those other things. I don't really like it when someone says that's impossible, because it most likely isn't.

Faster than light travel? Certainly impossible and not just a case of engineering. Quantum entanglement holds out the possibility of transferring information faster than the speed of light, but you then get into a discussion as to whether information has a physical reality.

the strangest man

@Smithy have you heard of the Alcubierre drive? It is a theoretical warp drive, in it space is compressed in front of the vessel and expanded behind it (to put it simply).(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcubierre_drive)

As for replicators, that I think is just an extension of 3D printing (just read that a Jet flew with parts made by a 3D printer).

The only thing we are limited by is our imagination, most thing that can be imagined can likely be achieved. Its just about working out how to do it :)

Therein lies a question if I canot imageine something can it exist? Or Heisenburg's uncertainty princial which postulates matter can come into existence, so long as it disappears before it is observed.

Pinky and his brain

Faster than light travel? Certainly impossible and not just a case of engineering. Quantum entanglement holds out the possibility of transferring information faster than the speed of light, but you then get into a discussion as to whether information has a physical reality.

We might not be able to do it right now. But if I remember correctly, the universe did expand faster than the speed of light shortly after the big bang. So something must be able to break these rules of physics.

Maybe we will one day figure out how to manipulate matter and space enough to make FTL travel reality.

DominikaCupcake

Mr. Grey, i think that this teacher should be fired. I guess that he never heard of quarks. That's what hadrons are made of and again atoms are made hadrons. simple like that. I can't understand how you teacher could miss such an important thing. And it's not a new discovered thing because i was reading about it back when i was 10 and i think that people knew about it even earlier (i don't know how long ago though)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quark

And yes, i agree, people just love to limit themselves. I have some ideas that people find stupid or scary or ideas that i follow. Like that one day there will be only one gender or that there's something beneath the universe or that it was God that invented the universe, but that "God" was only the energy. People believe that the energy can't come from anything. That something has to trigger it. But when we think about Big Bang (if it even happened) then it needed a lot of energy to happen, but that energy couldn't come from anywhere. I guess it could be made by itself. and that's why it's so powerful that people call it "god".

EDIT:

Sorry, i assumed that your teacher said it few years ago :D Now i've read that it was decades ago.

Edited by DominikaCupcake

Nesf

Occasionally I read on a web site that it's impossible to learn a foreign language or to play a musical instrument, but time and time again this is proved wrong. We may be limited by the laws of physics, but we shouldn't be limited by our minds.

MrGrey

I honestly believe it is part of the capitalistic world in which we live in.  It is not that hard to do things like installing a ceiling fan.  But yet, the world around us promotes that we remain ignorant and instead of learning how to do things ourselves, hire somebody else to do it for us.  

I once had a conversation with a chemical engineer about how hard would it be to make sugar at home.  In short he said "you need hundreds of thousands of dollars of equipment".  But, wait a second, my grandmother ran a small sugar production business and as far as I recall (I was young when I heard the stories), the most complicated piece of machinery was the gears of the mill... the donkey powered mill.   

I could keep on and on for pages and pages of content.  

What did the Wright Brothers used to make the first operational airplane?  Some scrape wood and a tossed-away gas engine.  But yet people tell you that you need an army of engineers to design and make a flying contraption.  Shenanigans.