MrGrey

What kind of people you generally dislike?

Saveyourscissors

I hate Kylie Minogue! Does that count? I really hate her and don't know why! I get quite annoyed or sort of grunt every time I hear or see her! I don't even notice until someone (usually josh/mum) points it out!

Chlillis

I think everyone has goods and bads, I don't dislike anyone really. But I don't like it when:

1. Someone has a big ego

2. Someone just judges you and only looks to hurt you for it

3. Someone would try to look good in front of others at the expense of another (ie. by lying, bullying)

There are probaly others

But I like to see positives in people, and usually that brings me to liking others, I can think of cases when someone has acted badly towards me, but have explained themselves to me and have apologised, or maybe I have just come round to liking that person having got to know them.

Peridot

- People with a strong moral compass; and perhaps even more so if it's a moral compass that's opposite of mine.

Ok, so you have a moral compass it's just that it's not very strong? Or did you just mean that some people are rigid in the wrong way and then become difficult to please or be around? Also, a proper moral compass always points on in the same direction in whatever situation. So did you mean that you find it off putting when someone simply has a faulty moral compass?

In other words, I'm confused by that part of your post. :lol:

King_oni

Ok, so you have a moral compass it's just that it's not very strong? Or did you just mean that some people are rigid in the wrong way and then become difficult to please or be around? Also, a proper moral compass always points on in the same direction in whatever situation. So did you mean that you find it off putting when someone simply has a faulty moral compass?

In other words, I'm confused by that part of your post. :lol:

Lol... fair enough, I didn't want to confuse anyone.

People have accused me of having a weak, to almost non-existent moral compass. And I don't necessarily disagree with them. I tend to be more of "everything goes" type of person rather than someone that will say "but... you can't do that, it's wrong to do so". And especially people who will get in my face and tell me certain things are wrong, those rub me the wrong way... big time.

Wouldn't a moral compass point in the direction in which the ideology of this person is going? I guess certain religious folks have a different moral compass, based on some of their beliefs than ones who don't adhere to any religion. Not saying their mutually exclusive or anything, but it's just something I perceived over years dealing with all kinds of people.

It's not necessarily a faulty moral compass, unless I would claim their moral compass is wrong because it's not similar to mine. 

Also; it's not necessarily rigid, but just the general idea of not having the same (lack of) morals just gets ugly really fast sometimes.

Your confusing is understandable I guess... I think my post went in a few directions anyway, pretty much the ones you addressed.

I will however add a final thing about this moral compass thing. There's a reason why I usually keep quiet and absent about a lot of more serious topics. If I were to get into some topics more serious I just know I'll butt heads with more than a few. Perhaps it's a bit of self knowledge I've learned over years... the problem often is when people actively want to involve me into topics I have an opinion on that is not popular, "humane" or in any form "decent" (well, according to the ones trying to involve me), where people end up telling me how I lack morals amongst other things.

coffeebean

I like people, but I dislike groups. Especially in niche groups, everything bad about people becomes concentrated.

MrGrey

Moral compasses come in all shapes.  It all depends on what's "immoral" for the compass bearer.  A few examples come to mind: Abortion / Death Penalty / Gay Marriage / The 20yo dude who dates the 45yo cougar... Two moral compasses might be strong, yet point in opposite ways of a controversial issue.  

I guess that where people cross the line is when they don't keep their moral compasses to themselves and start preaching their ideologies to you.  

King_oni

Moral compasses come in all shapes.  It all depends on what's "immoral" for the compass bearer.  A few examples come to mind: Abortion / Death Penalty / Gay Marriage / The 20yo dude who dates the 45yo cougar... Two moral compasses might be strong, yet point in opposite ways of a controversial issue.  

I guess that where people cross the line is when they don't keep their moral compasses to themselves and start preaching their ideologies to you.  

That sums it up pretty well I guess :)

It seems a lot of people don't understand that some of their ideas actually are heavily grounded on a moral basis and just can't help but spew out their opinion no matter how drenched in morals it is.

And with the internet (and thus forums) people seem to have found a platform to rub their ideas and morals in everyones face even if I wouldn't ask for it. I've seen the silliest topics end up in heated debates on forums. When it comes to this I guess "knowing when to shut up" is the biggest virtue of all. And I'm using virtue in a proverbial manner... no religious connotation connected ;)

Willow

I don't generally dislike a certain type of person; everyone is so different that it's not fair to just set out some traits and decide that I don't like people with those traits. It's like judging a book by it's cover - you can't know what the story inside is like. If I get to know someone then perhaps there'll be something about them that I'm not keen on, but it doesn't mean I can't carry on talking to them or whatever. It's hard to care about it enough to avoid them etc., and hating people is just exhausting, full stop. I think that you can, at best, think of specific people that you're not keen on, but in no way can you apply what you don't like about those people, and generally say that you don't like people with those traits.

A lot of people replied using the word hate, which is a shame, as the word in the original post was 'dislike'. Hate is such a ridiculously strong word, especially when used against a person. Too much negativity! 

Plus, I'm sure that a lot of people aren't 'keen' on people who aren't very social, or whose body language suggests that they don't want to talk to you, or that go on and on about something uninteresting without letting another person speak, and we really don't like it when people judge us that way before taking the time to realise that we are nice people underneath those traits.

Obviously, people who have done something terrible aren't really on anyone's 'like' list, but that's a given really, everyone wishes the worst for pedophiles etc.

I try not to dislike anybody (impossible for a human) but it is hard to like someone if they are mean or make you feel uncomfortable.

Peridot

Some moral compasses might point strongly in the wrong direction. haha Anyone who thinks that a 20 year old guy can't be intimate with a 45 year old woman should definately not keep their opinion to themselves, they should say it out loud so people who do see it right when it comes to that can tell them why they are wrong.

We, as a society, can't just have people walk around with all these misconceptions as it's just walking around with dynamite and it's bound to blow up from time to time. We need to have it all in the open where people's views are seen and can then be adjusted where needed (isn't ever going to happen though). Kuribo has this thread about a new eductational system and that in and of itself is a good idea where it's upgraded so that everyone who leaves school isn't homophobic or narrow minded or whatever so that everyone's moral compass is fine tuned and everyone agrees on everything and everyone is happy and gets along fine. ^_^  ;)