MrGrey

What kind of people you generally dislike?

Nesf

I don't like fake, macho people, two faced people who are nice to you and then talk negatively behind your back, posers and show-offs.

iggy

I don't like fake, macho people, two faced people who are nice to you and then talk negatively behind your back, posers and show-offs.

This. I can try to get along with anyone, but if I find out you've been doing this to me or a friend of mine then I am not going to be happy.

Ben

So, you don't like door staff then? 

MrGrey

I kind of dislike those who thinks they are "above the norm" and hence, common life problems are beneath them.  Extra points if they also mock the "commoners problems" implying is our own fault.

See, everybody can have money troubles, regardless of how much money you saved for a rainy day and how careful you are with your money.  Same goes for love issues... out of the blue your partner wants out... it can happen to anybody.  But we still have those who say "that doesn't happen to me" and imply "it must have been your fault".  Nobody is better than anybody else, we are equals.

Peridot

Lol... fair enough, I didn't want to confuse anyone.

People have accused me of having a weak, to almost non-existent moral compass. And I don't necessarily disagree with them. I tend to be more of "everything goes" type of person rather than someone that will say "but... you can't do that, it's wrong to do so". And especially people who will get in my face and tell me certain things are wrong, those rub me the wrong way... big time.

Wouldn't a moral compass point in the direction in which the ideology of this person is going? I guess certain religious folks have a different moral compass, based on some of their beliefs than ones who don't adhere to any religion. Not saying their mutually exclusive or anything, but it's just something I perceived over years dealing with all kinds of people.

It's not necessarily a faulty moral compass, unless I would claim their moral compass is wrong because it's not similar to mine. 

Also; it's not necessarily rigid, but just the general idea of not having the same (lack of) morals just gets ugly really fast sometimes.

Your confusing is understandable I guess... I think my post went in a few directions anyway, pretty much the ones you addressed.

I will however add a final thing about this moral compass thing. There's a reason why I usually keep quiet and absent about a lot of more serious topics. If I were to get into some topics more serious I just know I'll butt heads with more than a few. Perhaps it's a bit of self knowledge I've learned over years... the problem often is when people actively want to involve me into topics I have an opinion on that is not popular, "humane" or in any form "decent" (well, according to the ones trying to involve me), where people end up telling me how I lack morals amongst other things.

Well that's interesting. To say that anything goes sounds a lot like nihilism but I'm sure that's not what you meant as I'm sure that if someone told you they were going to nuke a country you would say "But...you can't do that. It's wrong to do so.". But that kind of goes without saying, right?

I'm sure certain religious people think it's OK to crash a plane into a tall office building because of their beliefs but that still doesn't mean that they aren't wrong to do so. So yeah, that compass of theirs needs adjusting.

I get what you're saying about the conversations/debates/whatever becoming more like fights where accusations are thrown around. It's all kind of touchy when you start a conversation about anything serious and seeing that there is a lot of confusion and a whole bunch of other undesireable stuff it more often than not is a recipe for a whole bunch of bashing rather than an actual conversation which is a waste of time and obviously to be avoided.

Peridot

I kind of dislike those who thinks they are "above the norm" and hence, common life problems are beneath them.  Extra points if they also mock the "commoners problems" implying is our own fault.

See, everybody can have money troubles, regardless of how much money you saved for a rainy day and how careful you are with your money.  Same goes for love issues... out of the blue your partner wants out... it can happen to anybody.  But we still have those who say "that doesn't happen to me" and imply "it must have been your fault".  Nobody is better than anybody else, we are equals.

What do you think would happen the next time you encounter someone who you think is the way you desribed? That'd be interesting; you say to their face what you posted here and then what? Some people aren't really aware of how what they say comes across.

You know, it's like sometimes how someone is perceived, how someone perceives themselves and how someone actually is are three (somewhat) different things.

MrGrey

What do you think would happen the next time you encounter someone who you think is the way you desribed? That'd be interesting; you say to their face what you posted here and then what? Some people aren't really aware of how what they say comes across.

You know, it's like sometimes how someone is perceived, how someone perceives themselves and how someone actually is are three (somewhat) different things.

I don't argue with people.  Those who think they are perfect, will continue to believe so until a common life problem happens to them.  Short of that, they usually remain hardheaded in their ways regardless of what you say.  I just sit back and wait.  

I believe it is a personal responsibility to every once in a while, pause everything, take a good look at yourself and try to be a better person.  Discussions as this thread give me the opportunity to read what things bother most people and try to keep those things in mind so I could avoid them in the future.  

I'll admit I've been guilty of a few things every now and then.  I used to tell everybody my credentials, thinking that would give me more credibility.  Now I know better.

Nesf

So, you don't like door staff then? 

Do you mean bouncers? If they do those things, then no, I guess not. Can't say I have experience with bouncers.

King_oni

Well that's interesting. To say that anything goes sounds a lot like nihilism but I'm sure that's not what you meant as I'm sure that if someone told you they were going to nuke a country you would say "But...you can't do that. It's wrong to do so.". But that kind of goes without saying, right?

I'm sure certain religious people think it's OK to crash a plane into a tall office building because of their beliefs but that still doesn't mean that they aren't wrong to do so. So yeah, that compass of theirs needs adjusting.

I get what you're saying about the conversations/debates/whatever becoming more like fights where accusations are thrown around. It's all kind of touchy when you start a conversation about anything serious and seeing that there is a lot of confusion and a whole bunch of other undesireable stuff it more often than not is a recipe for a whole bunch of bashing rather than an actual conversation which is a waste of time and obviously to be avoided.

I tend to have "some" nihilistic tendencies, so in a way, it's pretty much what I meant ;) I'm just not a full nihilist I guess, lol. A therapist once told me I'm an accident away of going that route (or if you will on a more comedic note; one lab accident away of becoming a villain)... which is probably why I tend to be more careful and rather be safe than sorry since I know that's a point of no return.

The example about religion as well as nukes I'll leave for what it is to avoid the aforementioned arguments and discussion :)