Sign in to follow this  
DominikaCupcake

British humour

DominikaCupcake

Does anyone else here love British humour? I assume that the answer will be yes.

Personally i love Monty Python, Keeping up Appearances, Men Behaving Badly and The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (both novel and new movie, i didn't see the old one, but i want to). I even like Mr. Bean even thought it's one of the most retarded series i've ever seen. I find British humour much better than for instance American (no offense) although they have South Park so they deserve some respect too. 

Edited by DominikaCupcake

MrGrey

I dislike most american humor.  Specially when they try portray the absurd as funny (example: Napoleon Dynamite).  I do like South Park too tho, so I guess is not all lost.

King_oni

There's a lot of things I like that are considered humor though I don't really feel they're specific to a certain location.

I guess there are a few british stand-up comedians I like and I think I like more of those rather than American ones. Maybe it's the source material they're coming from... and that might however be something cultural.

South park however... I don't know. I've watched a decent lot. I fail to find it very amusing. Though I have a thing for comedy that's considered offensive I guess. It's probably just that SP seems the easy way to make a joke about something.

MrGrey

I guess the thing about South Park is the big amount of references to things that are happening in the US.  Sometimes, if I'm not up date with the current news, I don't get the references and it's not as funny (or not funny at all), 

DominikaCupcake

South Park is much better when you know the background story. There was an episode that was a parody of the film World War Z. I didn't watch the film and i didn't find episode at all. Then again there were episodes that made fun of Game of Thrones and i found them very funny.

Sofi

I love The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy books but I don't get any others you put. I have a really strange sense of humour; most people don't get it I've only met one or two people who get it too. As British comedy, I used to like Michael McIntyre.

King_oni

I guess the thing about South Park is the big amount of references to things that are happening in the US.  Sometimes, if I'm not up date with the current news, I don't get the references and it's not as funny (or not funny at all), 

That explains, lol...

I'm so out of touch with society... I don't even bother watching the news. And this lack of interest is getting bigger every day... (but hey, as long as that keeps me happy, lol)

Nesf

I like the humour in Monty Python, and there are quite a few classic British comedy series I really like, such as Blackadder, Only Fools and Horses, Auf Wiedersehen, Pet or Red Dwarf. But I also like a couple of US series, such as The Simpsons, South Park and Big Bang Theory. I find some US series difficult to get into, but the same applies to some British series, like Mrs Brown's Boys.

lao tzu

classic british humour?carry on films,benny hill,norman wisdom in fact anything with sexual innuendo which would be seen as politically incorrect today.alf garnet(all the ists you can think of:)on the buses,bernard manning etc.british humour has been crushed by the politically correct brigade:(.just shows how sensitive people are today that they cannot appreciate a joke but have to take offence instead and sue!so sad.brits are famous for there play on words and double entendres:)bernard manning was too much though to be honest,he went too far,for clean comedy you can always rely on ken dodd,the man is a legend:)