MrGrey

The Procrastination Thread

MrGrey

I've reached a new low.  I have a list of procrastinated stuff, so I don't forget.  But I'm procrastinating checking said list of procrastinated tasks.

Ben

Am I getting old, or do I need glasses to be able to read that image?

MrGrey

I must be old too... can't read image text either. lol

iggy

I must be old too... can't read image text either. lol

Apologies, I edited it on Photoshop because it filled up about 3 screens when I uploaded it, I guess I went too far the other way....

Ben

The only one that resembles me is the snacker - only with me, It's water. I'll have an assignment to do, I'll get my laptop on, get some music playing, and then five minutes later I'm disappearing off for glasses of water.

Eventually I get the job done... After about twenty pints of water and eight trips to the toilet. 

King_oni

It's usually the things that we don't choose to do, but have to, that we procrastinate about, usually because we're busy doing things we want to do. For example, I've been writing my book and designing something today, instead of sorting the rubbish and dishes out.

I rarely consider something to be a task I have to do. I wont die if I don't do it right now, and thus I don't bother with it. There's no one telling me what I have to do, which is probably why my agenda is free and empty around the clock. Also; not living with someone that gets on your case because for instance, the garbage has to be taken out, might be a factor. I guess there's a reason why I wouldn't want to live together with anyone, lol. 

But aside from it all, I tend to have pretty much a hands on mentality in that I don't wait to get something done. I'll just get to it right away.

Chances are if I don't get to it right away, I just don't care and do it at all.

I remember back when I was in high school that I had my homework done before I even was home. I'd just spend an extra hour in school to get it over with go home and have time to myself. That way I didn't have to bother for excuses the next day, have time issues at home when getting tired and more like that. However, when I attended uni it was a different deal. Classes which I could do on my own; same as high school. Push through and get it done before you're home. It's the moment where other people were involved and it was a team effort and didn't have this perseverance to jump right on top of it and get it done, even if it was due to next week, what got to me. So I guess I'm not neccesarily a procrastinator if I can make my own plans. It's when other people are involved and don't dance to the same beat so to say, where I slack off too much.

And since I'm not in school at the moment and pretty much at home 24/7, there is no real motivation nor drive for me to do something at this minute. There are no papers due to next week, I don't have deadlines. Yes, I do have a few projects I might want to work on, but there's more to it than just staring at a screen. 

In fact my best ideas pretty much hit me in a random stroke of genius; so perhaps my creative process is just zoning out and not doing anything at all... to some that is procrastinating I guess. But as with that comes the argument "what should I be doing then?" as well as "does my brain want to process this information right now?". It's only procrastinating if you are 100% sure you could effectively do a different task that you really, really, really should do.

MrGrey

I think I'm procrastinating cleaning up the apartment.

Do I really really need t o clean it?  IDK.. I don't think so.  It's just boxes from Christmas packages and wrapping paper.  Nothing perishable, or pieces of food, or anything that could become a health hazard.  

What can happen if I don't do it?  I might get an unexpected visit... say, the landlord showing up for an unscheduled maintenance.  It would be embarrassing.

Do I care if the landlord thinks I'm messy? Not really.

Is that the kind of thing that could make the landlord raise my rent and or my security deposit? Maybe.

So do I *have* to do it? nope.  *Should* I do it? Yes.  

But I'll do it later.  I just don't want to do it.  I feel like I'm forced to do it and I shouldn't be.  Hence I procrastinate.

af27ba09-e020-4ae6-8566-58e9dbe3575d_zps

...We've all done at least one of them :PSome of us might be doing it right now...... :unsure:

That is hilarious!!!

Heather

I remember one time I went to a teen anxiety group a few years ago.. and one thing stuck with me.. that people who have anxiety tend to be procrastinators.. because as Ben said in a way.. when you see a task as having to be perfect, it automatically looks so much huger and then it makes us anxious to work on it.. at least for me.  I think at these situations I tend to be a panicker until I make the list! :P

I know that being at uni there have been many times when I have been overwhelmed by how much I have to do.. I tend to be a list maker when that happens and then it helps because I can divide up and all of a sudden I have less things I have to get done right away because a few of the things can be done the next day. :)

I know I'm definitely a snacker or drinker.. if there is any easily accessible food or even food that has to be cooked and I'm in any way slightly hungry or craving some food and not full... I will tend to start thinking of what I could eat.. or get distracted with something else on the internet.  If I'm not hungry or don't have much food I'm interested in, then I will tend to make a drink as a distraction.  I might watch an old TV show episode as a distraction or watch youtube... or research something else.  Or lately it's been Asperclick.. just going on to check if anyone liked or quoted one of my recent posts or if there's any big news.. lol Good thing is that this forum tends to quiet down in my evenings cause most of the UK/Europe people are sleeping or trying to sleep. :)

Good post.. actually.. it just made me procrastinate more.. So I'm going away from here for now.

Kuribo [old account]

I remember one time I went to a teen anxiety group a few years ago.. and one thing stuck with me.. that people who have anxiety tend to be procrastinators.. because as Ben said in a way.. when you see a task as having to be perfect, it automatically looks so much huger and then it makes us anxious to work on it.. at least for me.  I think at these situations I tend to be a panicker until I make the list! :P

I know that being at uni there have been many times when I have been overwhelmed by how much I have to do.. I tend to be a list maker when that happens and then it helps because I can divide up and all of a sudden I have less things I have to get done right away because a few of the things can be done the next day. :)

I know I'm definitely a snacker or drinker.. if there is any easily accessible food or even food that has to be cooked and I'm in any way slightly hungry or craving some food and not full... I will tend to start thinking of what I could eat.. or get distracted with something else on the internet.  If I'm not hungry or don't have much food I'm interested in, then I will tend to make a drink as a distraction.  I might watch an old TV show episode as a distraction or watch youtube... or research something else.  Or lately it's been Asperclick.. just going on to check if anyone liked or quoted one of my recent posts or if there's any big news.. lol Good thing is that this forum tends to quiet down in my evenings cause most of the UK/Europe people are sleeping or trying to sleep. :)

Good post.. actually.. it just made me procrastinate more.. So I'm going away from here for now.

All of that pretty much describes me too.